The reason behind this week's main event

tornado362

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It's no coincidence they've got Robelis Despaigne on this card as well, I believe the main event is there to help fast track this guy towards the top of the rankings.

If Lewis wins, then he's become the gatekeeper to the top 10, and there's no reason as to why you wouldn't put Despaigne against him. It also looks less bad feeding Lewis to him, as he'll be coming off of a win rather than a lot of losses. But will build on the big name value that Lewis has, and stop the uproar of his fans for using him to build new blood coming off a loss.

On the other hand, if Nascimento wins, he'll get some name recognition from Lewis (not much), but really he does nothing for the UFC, he's not going to be the next star. However, it will bump him up to just outside the top 10, a great ranking spot and a very easy win for Despaigne to catapult into the top 10 off of.

This main event isn't about lining anything up for Despaigne, it's just the UFC paying Lewis back for taking the Almeida fight on short notice by giving him a relative softball of an opponent that he should be able to steamroll.

I have no idea who Despaigne is, and I'm not a casual.

Lewis is basically the biggest name on this card, and that is the reason he is headlining. He has some brand recognition still to carry this non-PPV card, which is fine. He is an older fighter now, 39. not much left there, UFC will use him as needed, whether to build someone else, or to headline a non-PPV card.

I have no idea who Despaigne is, and I'm not a casual.

Lewis is basically the biggest name on this card, and that is the reason he is headlining. He has some brand recognition still to carry this non-PPV card, which is fine. He is an older fighter now, 39. not much left there, UFC will use him as needed, whether to build someone else, or to headline a non-PPV card.
New prospect. He is a 6'7 TKD Olympian with 1 UFC fight. He is 5-0 and his last 4 ended by KO in less than 20 seconds. Has potential to put on some exciting fight but he is also 35 years old already.

New prospect. He is a 6'7 TKD Olympian with 1 UFC fight. He is 5-0 and his last 4 ended by KO in less than 20 seconds. Has potential to put on some exciting fight but he is also 35 years old already.
oh he is that cuban, I got you. But yea, 35 years old, he is not necessarily the cream of the crop of prospects, with a very limited track record. So yes, you are absolutely right, UFC isn't going to put a PR machine behind him, and Bo Nickal him all the way.

I dunno about all of that, but I can't believe I forgot this was a STL card again. I spent all of that time begging for one and forgot to by tickets again.

Why fast track HW's when they will get denied to fight for the title anyway?
This. No new person is going to get to fight for a heavyweight title shot until 2026 so take the time and crush some cans so that you don't get an unfortunate loss before then

Jones/Stipe end of 2024, Aspinall vs someone like Gane (established name) for the vacated belt mid 2025, then anyone not already in the top 5 can begin to be talked about

Fast track Robelis, idgaf. Any heavyweight that isn't a Tank Abbott tier fighter in 2024 has potential to be a contender in this division.

I wonder if Derrick Lewis ever gets sick of hearing ‘Muh balls was hot’. It wasn’t that funny.

This. No new person is going to get to fight for a heavyweight title shot until 2026 so take the time and crush some cans so that you don't get an unfortunate loss before then

Jones/Stipe end of 2024, Aspinall vs someone like Gane (established name) for the vacated belt mid 2025, then anyone not already in the top 5 can begin to be talked about
Wow... That sucks.

Im good with fast-tracking Robelis

HW always needs refreshed

I think he starches the Beast

Back