The Roadhouse 'Reboot' was just as good/better than the original - Change my mind

This is a textbook definition of a negative Nancy.
You just dont like that I'm Captain Obvious.

MXZT or whatever his name is should do a poll.

Most folks prefer the gOd aWfuL original.

When we win, you and the 2 others have to just understand you have bad taste.

Shitty original > shitty remake

Ok. Let us know when you watch it.
I’m probably not going to watch it. I mean, it’s possible it isn’t terrible. But it’s also possible shit doesn’t taste terrible. Yet, I feel no need to try it in order to know for sure because I can smell it.

Damn, you really hate the original huh? Did the throat pulling gross you out? The blondes tits? Sam Elliots voice?

Are you paying attention? I love the original. Its one of my "Anywhere, anytime" movies. I've shown the movie to several people (always with a few beers, of course) and its hilarious fun every time.

But the movie is trash. It might be the best example of a movie that so perfectly finds that infinitesimally small "so bad it's good" space on the quality scale.

Honestly, you lost cred at the original had better fight scenes. I mean, really. I dont think you remember any of them. The Hill-Billy Death Claw was a nice touch but everything else is just like the rest of the movie.

If you had someone who had never seen either movie, and compared any fight scene from this movie to literally any fight scene from the original I'd wager close to 100% would say the remake. For Gods sake, man, the main villain pole vaults with a broken pool cue.

I don't agree with your assessment about the original. Literally I watched the movie again 2 days ago and I think many peope have some rose tint to their glasses. One of the reasons it's great is because it isn't self aware. It's legitimately trying to be a good movie and Swayze is playing his role with 100% conviction. That's actually one of the reasons it works because Swayze is still a charismatic, likable lead.

I agree that Gyllenhal is solid. I was actually an unfiltered Jake-Hater until Nightcrawler and the son of a bitch won me overbetween that and a couple other performances. He finds the perfect Zen for this role. The scene of him driving the bikers he just crushed to the hospital is pretty awesome.

Your last paragraph mentions fun, and that's really the only important thing here. If somebody goes into this movie sharpening their knives it can be eviscerated pretty easily. It's one of the movies thats sort of "critic-proof", like spoofy comedies or big budget action. It makes no attempt to win you over with any "serious film" elements. It's only goal is entertainment as long as, just like the original, you leave all sense of seriousness at the door.

It doesn't surprise me that the movie divides people. It's a "works for you or doesnt" kind of movie. What I am surprised about is how many people are propping up the original as something that it isn't. Because the original is absolute glorious trash.
You could argue I spose its not the kind of movie to which is neither good enough or bad enough to change peoples minds if they go in looking to love or hate it, the latter will always be pretty big on Sherdog for any kind of update of stuff from the 70's to the 90's which is deemed at all "woke"

When he was dancing with the woman at the Road House, it was reminiscent of the little dance he does with the bottles of Proper 12 in that promo. Guy definitely didn't have to stretch his abilities to appear in this movie. Yet I think he delivered what they wanted from him. Don't see a whole lot of potential for a future acting career for him (is Jardine the king of MMA fighters to solid character actors?) but I could certainly see him appearing as a heavy in some forthcoming Guy Ritchie movie.

"OK, Conor, see those people in the bar room? They all said your whiskey tastes like shite!"

(Hands Conor the golf club and hurridly steps out of his way) ;)

I wonder how many people watched it by themselves on the couch. It's definitely something that should be watched with a friend or 2, preferably with a couple beers. Just like the original.

Last edited:
I’m probably not going to watch it. I mean, it’s possible it isn’t terrible. But it’s also possible shit doesn’t taste terrible. Yet, I feel no need to try it in order to know for sure because I can smell it.
Good thing you didn't step in it.

The original has gathered one of the strangest cult followings I can think of.

It’s absolutely fucking terrible.

I liked that guy, I expected him to eventually switch sides and become Daltons sidekick to help him defeat the evil at the end
Him on Skid Row destitute and Jake picking him up for a burrito.

Back