The Russian style of Dmitry Bivol

I love it. What about you?

Bivol is doing well with something I feel many Cubans and Eastern Bloc athletes fail at, which is sticking with the system that built them. Fact is Western Coaches dont know how to train these fighters relative to their skill. Bivol, Beterbiev, and now Ramirez, they're not making that same mistake of getting with a sycophant coach or merely a famous Western trainer who only amplifies something they're very very good at.

Bivol is doing well with something I feel many Cubans and Eastern Bloc athletes fail at, which is sticking with the system that built them. Fact is Western Coaches dont know how to train these fighters relative to their skill. Bivol, Beterbiev, and now Ramirez, they're not making that same mistake of getting with a sycophant coach or merely a famous Western trainer who only amplifies something they're very very good at.
How do you think a fight between Bivol and Biev would go?

How do you think a fight between Bivol and Biev would go?

50/50. What's interesting is how 2 fighters from the same system will adapt to fighting each other for big stakes, having not seen that system against them for a while. Beterbiev will likely bleed, but I think he's very capable of hurting Bivol. I favor Beterbiev because I'm not sure Bivol hits hard enough to keep him off, or at distance.

It's unfair how hard Beterbiev hits. When you have so much power it's absolutely fine to hit and get hit as opposed to hit and not get hit, it almost becomes a different sport.

Eh Kudryashov hits just as hard and has been starched.

What makes Beterbiev special is his determination. Kudryashov seems lazy in the ring. Like if you dont go away after the first time he hits you hard, you can beat him. Beterbiev will hit you hard 1000 more times, and even more so if you hit him back hard

I love it. What about you?

What I noticed and liked, after skimming through it, was that in/out rhythm, he's in out and in again. Looked really good.

I also noticed he throws his hook palm down. The way he was throwing it and landing it, looked like it was right on the chin. I like to call the palm down hook the clipping hook. Because that's exactly what it does, clips people on the chin. It also seems like it might be a bit easier to split the guard. But it's not as powerful as the palm up hook. Palm down hook has a different movement and bit of a pop to it the way it's thrown and feels faster to me. I was originally taught palm up, which is what I stuck with. Palm up doesn't work well when throwing to the body.

It's kind of a toss up but if I could do it all over again I think I might have gone palm down.

Any boxing experts want to chime in if they agree with my thinking? I practiced palm up a bit but not enough for it to stick

Last edited:
What I noticed and liked, after skimming through it, was that in/out rhythm, he's in out and in again. Looked really good.

I also noticed he throws his hook palm down. The way he was throwing it and landing it, looked like it was right on the chin. I like to call the palm down hook the clipping hook. Because that's exactly what it does, clips people on the chin. It also seems like it might be a bit easier to split the guard. But it's not as powerful as the palm up hook. Palm down hook has a different movement and bit of a pop to it the way it's thrown and feels faster to me. I was originally taught palm up, which is what I stuck with. Palm up doesn't work well when throwing to the body.

It's kind of a toss up but if I could do it all over again I think I might have gone palm down.

Any boxing experts want to chime in if they agree with my thinking? I practiced palm up a bit but not enough for it to stick
The thumb-up hook is more powerful, no question about it. The palm-down version can be thrown at any angle or range and requires less body engagement. Bivol usually throws his hooks with the palm down while shadowboxing or hitting mitts and with the thumb up on the bag or during fights.

Russia = Soviet Union.

No it isn't.
It is just Kremlin's imperialists dreams to re establish ALL Warshaw Block including to control East Germany with foots on ground and....to subjugate all Europe from Lisbon till....

___
Russian boxing school like European boxing does have roots from British/ French lineage with impact from ancient Rome and Greece.

+ if not for mainatream thinking ppl : addition from old russian bareknuckle stuff....that is super effective without gloves...

+ after WW 2 boxers training had been adopted in order to get more wins in competitions for amateurs....

Early 1950 ies boxing in Warshaw block and USSR was more close to british professional boxing just with short time to fight if compare vs pro boxing....It was more devastating if compare with modern pro boxing 4 and 6 round fights.

Later it had been adapted for modern am rules etc. More and more...

There IMHO actually even any soviet boxing style never had existed at all.

While boxers training in S/C and conditioning field they bought till true Olympic top level and true pro top level....

Plus large talent pool helped a lot to get ability to pick fighters for national teams and huge reserve as back up....

Kudra does hits very hard, yes.
However Beterbiev was true world level am.... This does means that he fought world top guys without option to choice opponents in these ams....

He was real elite level guy.

In pros he doesn't work for judges cards for a reason.

Today I think it might be 55/45 for Bivol to win.
If beast will not manage to hurt core enough.....

Kudra is very predictable and this always was big problem for him.
Actually he does have 1 single punch power, sorry, higher than Fury or Dorticos.

Dorticos deNazified him cos Kudra was predictable.
Yup, 1 single punch power Dorticos too does have more than Fury....

Back