International The U.K wants to ban Donald Trump for saying they're trying to disguise their massive Muslim problem

Donald Trump's statements about what's happening in the U.K and Germany is...

• Absolutely true!

• Completely false!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tory MPs planning no-confidence vote for Common Speaker John Bercow
By Heather Stewart and Anushka Asthana
Feb 8, 2017

Conservative MPs have urged Theresa May to clear the way for a vote of no confidence in the Speaker of the House of Commons, John Bercow, after his outspoken remarks about the US president, Donald Trump, earlier this week.

One backbencher, James Duddridge, the MP for Rochford and Southend East, has written to the prime minister asking her to confirm that she would offer ministers a free vote if a vote of no confidence is called.

Backbenchers told the Guardian they have already approached the clerks of the House of Commons to ask whether they can table a motion – though it would be unlikely to succeed.

Bercow infuriated some MPs when he said he would not countenance the idea of Trump addressing both Houses of Parliament in Westminster Hall.

Some MPs appear to hope that Bercow will step down before any vote is called, as one of his predecessors, Michael Martin, did after losing the backing of the then prime minister, Gordon Brown, at the height of the scandal over MPs’ expenses.

Bercow told MPs on Monday afternoon that he had been against the idea of Trump addressing MPs and peers in Westminster Hall and that recent policies, such as Trump’s order banning entry to the US of people from seven predominantly Muslim countries, had left him even more determined to block the move.

He said: “I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the house.”

Duddridge had been hoping to ask May the question directly at prime minister’s questions on Wednesday, but Bercow did not call him to speak. Duddridge later released a copy of his letter to her, after ITV’s Robert Peston revealed a scrawled note of the question he had planned to ask.

A spokesman for May said no vote had yet been called, and they would not speculate on how they would handle one.

A number of Conservatives accused Bercow of overstepping the mark at a time when the government’s foreign policy is to build bridges with the new US administration, and several plan to join the bid to table a motion of no confidence.

But other backbenchers said the disgruntled Conservative MPs were unlikely to get the backing of enough of their colleagues to oust Bercow, and the government would not want to see him step down.

“However irritating Bercow is, it’s a very destabilising thing to get rid of a Speaker, and quite a lot of Tory MPs have a grudging respect for him,” said one Commons veteran.

Bercow’s stance also appeared to have irritated the Lords Speaker, Norman Fowler, who issued his own statement on Tuesday. “I should make it clear that I was not consulted on that decision or its timing,” he told peers, adding that Bercow had said sorry for not informing him in advance.

May confirmed during her recent trip to the White House that Trump had accepted an invitation from the Queen to pay a state visit to the UK later this year. But the plan has caused disquiet among some MPs and sparked protests.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...onfidence-vote-in-speaker-over-trump-comments

Last edited:
'Free speech' advocate John Bercow accused of hypocrisy for trying to silence President Donald Trump
By Gordon Rayner | 8 February 2017​

96451524_Commons-Speaker-John-Bercow-speaks-during-Prime-Minister27s-Questions-in-the-House-of-Common-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqeo_i_u9APj8RuoebjoAHt0k9u7HhRJvuo-ZLenGRumA.jpg

John Bercow, the Speaker, has been accused of hypocrisy over a series of speeches he made defending free speech before he vetoed Donald Trump’s visit to Parliament.

Mr Bercow has been accused of damaging the Special Relationship after he said he would stop the US President from speaking in Westminster Hall because of his “racism and sexism”.

It emerged on Wednesday that a plot is underway to oust Mr Bercow by holding a vote of no confidence in him in the Commons.

Mr Bercow’s refusal to allow President Trump to address MPs and Lords in Parliament,
which is based purely on his personal dislike of the President’s views, is at odds with his previous pronouncements on the importance of free speech.

When he introduced the Indian prime minister Narendra Modi to Parliament in 2015, he said that “democracy has to demonstrate that it can respect free speech”. A week later, in an article about mental health, he said: “A belief in free speech is part of our DNA.”

In October 2015, introducing President Xi Jinping to Parliament, he said “we can usefully reflect on the wise Chinese words that it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness”.

And after the murder of the MP Jo Cox last year, he said: “We just have to underline our determination as politicians across the spectrum that free speech and the right of people to go about their business and the pursuit of principle will continue.”

Ironically, Mr Bercow was once even more right-wing than President Trump. As a student at Essex University, he stood for election to the executive committee of the right-wing Monday Club of the Conservative Party on a platform of repatriating immigrants.

His manifesto stated: “The strengthening of our national identity demands a programme of assisted repatriation”, while “immigration” was listed first among his political interests.

He also toured universities with the former Conservative MP John Carlisle, who described Nelson Mandela as a terrorist, and shouted down hecklers who tried to stop the MP speaking.

Mr Carlisle said: “He was doing it because he believed in the cause, which was hearing the other side of the argument.”

Critics suggested that Mr Bercow’s views on free speech only extend to those with whom he agrees.

The Conservative MP James Duddridge - who tried to introduce the subject of a vote of no confidence in Mr Bercow during Prime Minister’s Questions yesterday - accused the Speaker of “hypocritical behaviour”.

He told The Daily Telegraph: “His views are not coherent. The main theme is him trying to promote himself, his agenda and what he thinks will play well in the press.”

Mr Duddridge, a former Foreign Office minister, had prepared a question for the Prime Minister which said: "There is a good tradition of the Government not interfering in House matters.

"Will my right honourable friend therefore give me the assurance that the Government will not interfere and will give ministers a free vote in any vote of no confidence in the Speaker?"

Mr Bercow did not, in the event, call Mr Duddridge to speak, but it is unlikely to be the end of the matter.

Mr Duddridge said: “What I was trying to do was just the tip of the iceberg. I think Speaker Bercow will start to consider his position after this. This is only going one way, and it’s not going to end with him leaving in 2018 as he has planned.

“He has poured flammable material on the fire and it only takes someone to wander past and throw a :eek::eek::eek: on it for the whole thing to ignite.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...john-bercow-accused-hypocrisy-trying-silence/

Last edited:
Jeremy Corbyn: Donald Trump's state visit to the UK should be scrapped
By Rob Merrick
Thursday 9 February 2017

Jeremy Corbyn has said Donald Trump's controversial visit to the UK should be scrapped.

The Labour leader – who has previously backed a ban on the President speaking to Parliament – went further by calling for the summer visit to be abandoned altogether.

Mr Corbyn said: "My position is that Donald Trump should not be coming to the UK.

“Donald Trump has been promoting something that undermines international law, he has been promoting misogyny, he has been making some awful statements in the USA and threatening to build a wall with Mexico.

“And our Government seems to think that this is a man they should be doing deals with.

“We should be challenging Trump on international law issues and we should also not be rolling the red carpet out.”

Speaking on BBC breakfast, Mr Corbyn was also repeatedly challenged on whether he would meet Mr Trump, having previously invited him to a local mosque – so he could “understand multicultural issues”.

He replied: “We have to have relations with the USA, but I’m not sure he is going to want to have a meeting with us.”

The Labour leader then added: “I think it would be right to meet the President of the USA, but I think it would be wrong for him to come here.”

The comments came as a Metropolitan Police Commissioner appeared to confirm a rumour that the State Visit will take place in June.

Speaking to LBC’s Nick Ferrari, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe was asked how much it is going to cost to police the huge protests expected, replying: “I think President Trump is coming around June, that's the plan.

“At the moment, people are concerned there will be lots of protests. There have been protests already. We've had about 20,000 people about 10 days ago at Whitehall - all very peaceful.

"No doubt we'll put a lot of officers out there and keep them safe and make sure everything goes well. If there is a few thousand officers, it's likely to be quite a bit of money."

A spokesman for 10 Downing Street told LBC: “No date has been set yet for the State Visit."

However, it is thought that a visit in the first week of June would avoid inflaming the row over whether Mr Trump should speak in Parliament, which will – conveniently – be in recess at that time.

During his interview, Mr Corbyn insisted last night’s resignation of Clive Lewis, the Shadow Business Secretary, who refused to vote for Article 50 was “not a disaster”.

He said the majority of Labour MPs had voted in favour of starting Brexit and that a small number had rebelled because of strong pro-Remain feeling in their constituencies.

Mr Corbyn denied the Government had been handed a “blank cheque”, saying: “We support the result of the referendum and have to carry it out.

“It doesn’t mean we agree with the Government on the economy of the future and it does mean we have to build closer relations with everybody across Europe.”

The Labour leader also accused the BBC of reporting “fake news” after a presenter asked him about claims that he may be preparing to step down.

It was “absolute nonsense” to say he has discussed a handover date with aides in a bid to ensure one of his allies takes over when he resigns.

Mr Corbyn said: “We are demanding social justice in Britain. That’s what the Labour party exists for, that’s what I’m leading the party for – and that’s what I’m going to continue doing.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...sident-muslim-ban-labour-leader-a7570641.html

Last edited:
After seeing the reaction to a muslim woman in a Trump rally today.....I can really see the comparison with Hitler. Before Hitler got in power he did use the exact same language about Jews and created hostile environment for them so people turned on them. Just like Trump said Syrian refugees are affiliated with ISIS.....this kind of language is really unhealthy.
Double standard FAILURE.

Jews weren't murdering cartoonists or terrorizing people across the world.

President Trump's state visit to UK may be moved from London to Brexit heartland amid security concerns
By Christopher Hope
February 11, 2017

JS120243342-may-trump-news-small_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq6CbGQpPl2gHgm3yFXhGx6pz7_Iz916rdh2ceiMoYuRE.jpg

Donald Trump’s controversial state visit to Britain could move from London to the Midlands to allow the US president to address a mass rally and raise money for Armed Forces veterans.

Ministers also say the trip could be delayed from June to July to coincide with Mr Trump’s visit to the G20 summit of developed nations in Hamburg.

Trump advisers and senior Foreign Office figures have discussed how to save the controversial visit.

One idea, which has been suggested to the White House, is for President Trump to address a rally in Birmingham where the audience would pay to enter, with profits going to the Royal British Legion.

Venues such as the National Exhibition Centre are being considered in the hope that people outside London will be more receptive to the president and the event would be easier to police.

It is felt that a gathering in the Brexit heartland might offer President Trump a more sympathetic hearing as a supporter of Britain out of the European Union.

One source close to the president said: “It would be his biggest rally with 85,000 people coming together to celebrate the US-UK special relationship. If he is not speaking to the Houses of Parliament, let’s go to the people. The only person who gets screwed is the Speaker of the House of Commons.”

India’s premier, Narendra Modi, set a precedent when he addressed 60,000 people at Wembley Stadium in 2015. The then prime minister, David Cameron, walked on to the stage with Mr Modi to huge cheers from the gathered crowd.

Under plans for the Trump rally, cheerleaders from America’s National Football League would perform.

Last week, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, the Metropolitan Police chief, said he had concerns about the state visit given the level of protests expected.

A large coalition of 28 Left-wing groups – including the Communist Party of Great Britain, the Egyptian revolution committee and the Venezuela Solidarity Campaign – is meeting with Labour Party representatives to plan the opposition to President Trump.

Lindsey German, speaking for the Stand Up to Trump movement, told The Telegraph that the protests would be the biggest since 300,000 people came out to demonstrate against George W Bush’s UK visit in 2003.

She said: “If he goes to Balmoral there will be a big protest there; if he goes to Windsor there will be protests there. There are millions of people in this country who don’t want him to come.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...e-visit-uk-may-moved-london-brexit-heartland/

One idea, which has been suggested to the White House, is for President Trump to address a rally in Birmingham where the audience would pay to enter, with profits going to the Royal British Legion.

Trump addressing the Muslim capital of the UK, press will have a field day<45>

They shouldn't give in to the violent left and move the visit.

I want Trump's rally at Wembley, for maximum triggering effect.

What a farce that the current United States President cannot go to London, one of the most important cities on Earth, for fear of an 'Extreme' reaction.

Last edited:
Double standard FAILURE.

Jews weren't murdering cartoonists or terrorizing people across the world.

But a cartoonist was murdering Jews and terrorizing people across the world.

I'm curious, if we were to draw a chart of the British demographic who voted to Remain in the E.U and the British who now wants relations between the U.K and the U.S to crash and burn, how much would overlap?

But a cartoonist was murdering Jews and terrorizing people across the world.
An entire country was, and we responded by burying it in ashes. Are you advocating that we do the same now?

My god those tweets are insane! Do he want all Muslims to hate him? Why do he pit Muslims against "westerners" like that? Painting Muslims in such a broad way.

"U.K has a Muslim problem" doesn't sound that different from "Germany has a Jewish problem"

I'm curious, if we were to draw a chart of the British demographic who voted to Remain in the E.U and the British who now wants relations between the U.K and the U.S to crash and burn, how much would overlap?

I think there's definitely an element of the remain camp who now want the UK to crash and burn so they can be "right". A part of that is wanting to ruin the UK/Trump relationship as that's our saving grace right now, especially as leaving the EU is becoming more certain by the day.

Anyone can see that UK need a strong US relationship if we're to make Brexit work. I've seen a lot of support for Trump from Brexit voters on shows such as Question Time, especially ones that took place in the North and the Midlands.

I read it was moved to the later date because Parliament would be in recess (or the equivalent) and thus it would be a way around the pickle of Trump addressing the body. I'd also wonder if The Queen is at a "summer residence" during that time of the year as well, and thus unable to meet Trump at Buckingham Palace.

Is there precedence for a President to charge admission to speak?

Government respond to Donald Trump visit Petitions

HM Government believes the President of the United States should be extended the full courtesy of a State Visit. We look forward to welcoming President Trump once dates and arrangements are finalised.

HM Government supports this petition.

During her visit to the United States on 27 January 2017, the Prime Minister, on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen, invited President Trump for a State Visit to the UK later this year. The invitation was accepted. This invitation reflects the importance of the relationship between the United States of America and the United Kingdom. At this stage, final dates have not yet been agreed for the State Visit.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844?reveal_response=yes#response-threshold

Oh you mean signing dumb petitions is actually meaningless? Well I am SHOCKED.

Of course you give Trump the chance to speak in Parliament if he so desires. You don't no-platform the US president.

Back