The UFC rankings are still a huge joke

Xoleth

You're only winning if someone is losing.
@Black
Reaction score
inb4 rankings don't matter (they kind of do, actually)

Stipe Miocic is ranked 4th at HW.
It's 2024 and his last win has been in 2020.
4 years without a win and he is still being ranked.
All his past opponents are guys that are no longer in the UFC (mostly retired)... well, except Arlo who is still in UFC and who's last finish was in 2015.
You would think he would be cut from the rankings 2 years ago for being inactive.
It reminds you about the times when Cain was still ranked, although injured and inactive for several years.

Kamaru Usman is ranked 1st at WW.
His last win was in 2021, 3 years ago, when he beat Colby.
Since then, he has gone 0-3.
And still he is better ranked than guys who are on big winning streaks: JDM, Shavkat, Belal.
Just because years ago he was a champion, beating Jorge and Colby.

All his past opponents are guys that are no longer in the UFC (mostly retired)... well, except Arlo who is still in UFC and who's last finish was in 2015.
You would think he would be cut from the rankings 2 years ago for being inactive.
It reminds you about the times when Cain was still ranked, although injured and inactive for several years.

And still he is better ranked than guys who are on big winning streaks: JDM, Shavkat, Belal.

Where would you rank Stipe and Usman? Just curious.

Is Usman the #1 welterweight in actuality? Probably not. But his last loss at 170 was a majority decision. Who should be in the #1 spot, Belal or Shavkat? Maybe they'd beat Usman if they were to match up in the near future but neither guy has that signature win to this point to surpass Usman's body of work in the division and take the #1 spot imo.

Usman probably loses his next fight anyways and then he'll probably drop down the rankings finally.

Where would you rank Stipe and Usman? Just curious.

Stipe is an inactive fighter.
My two cents: if you don't fight for 2 years (no matter the issue) you should be out of the rankings.
I don't see him in the rankings. At all.

Usman is 0-3.
Belal, Shavkat, JDM should be ranked better than him.
So 4th or 5th.

My two cents: if you don't fight for 2 years (no matter the issue) you should be out of the rankings.

Usman is 0-3.
So 4th or 5th.

Thats valid, thanks.

Usman is 0-3.
So 4th or 5th.

Rankings wise

- Belal's best win is either one armed Burns, Brady, or Luque back when he had momentum
- Shavkat's best win is old Wonderboy or Neal
- JDM's best win is Burns coming off a loss and an injury

They all probably beat Usman at this point head to head sure but none of them have that win to justify giving them the #1 spot.

Been askin this question for a couple of years here sir.

Rankings wise

- Belal's best win is either one armed Burns, Brady, or Luque back when he had momentum
- Shavkat's best win is old Wonderboy or Neal
- JDM's best win is Burns coming off a loss and an injury

They all probably beat Usman at this point head to head sure but none of them have that win to justify giving them the #1 spot.

Can't get a quality win if the top guys never fight down or lose their spot due to losses.

Last edited:
The only reason I believe Stipe is still ranked and ranked that high is so that the UFC can try and make Jones vs Stipe seem like a legitimate and reasonable fight
Excellent analysis per usual. That's why you're one of if not THE TOP POSTER on the Dog.

Attention mods: Make this man the Sheriff.

And you're welcome. 😁

Last edited:
Can't get a quality win if the top guys never find down or lose their spot due to losses.

This!

Fighters on winning streaks should be higher ranked.
And top guys on losing streaks should be lower ranked.
This will (somewhat & maybe) make the top guys fight more often.
And the fighters on winning streaks get a a more worthy opponent.

I think P4P rankings have a few holes in them as well. Jon is ranked #2 (he isn't an active fighter), Volk #8 (he's been KO'd in his last 2 fights in 2 separate divisions) and Izzy #11 jump out at me.

This!

Fighters on winning streaks should be higher ranked.
And top guys on losing streaks should be lower ranked.
This will (somewhat & maybe) make the top guys fight more often.
And the fighters on winning streaks get a a more worthy opponent.

Exactly sir.

First rule of genetics is spreading them lol

I agree rankings do matter but don't get mad at Stipe

Be mad at Connor and Danar. Remember how long Connor had the FW belt? Remember how long he held up two divisions?

Danar set the precedent

And another one:

Sterling - ex BW champion, KOd in his last fight
Goes to FW and he beats 1-3 Kattar by hugging him.
Aljo is ranked #8 at FW

Max Holloway - ex FW champion, 3-0 in his last fights
Goes to LW and beats Gaethje for 5 rounds + amazing KO
Gaethje being a guy ranked much better than Kattar and he also KTFO Poirier in his last fight
Max is ranked #9 at LW

The UFC almost refuses to lower a guys ranking because of their past achievements despite their current form.

UFC contributed a lot to make those fighters popular. Quickly reducing their rankings would undo that.

Back