The "unbeatable" champion loses to a young challenger & you think it's fixed...

johnsq316

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
ali-liston043010.jpg

Muhammad Ali KOs Sonny Liston in their 2nd fight, May 25 1965

1964 called, they'd like their conspiracy theory back.

We always fall into the fallacy of thinking just because someone hasn't been beaten, they can't be beaten.

The parallels are actually interesting. Clay (Ali) was so lightly regarded going into their first fight that Liston didn't train for a long fight, figuring he was going to knock him out in the first few rounds anyway.

Much like Anderson Silva took Weidman's striking so unseriously that he chose to break out the Matrix-like clowning.

Liston didn't come out for the 7th (behind heavily on the cards and getting beaten up badly). He later blamed a shoulder injury he claimed he suffered early in the 1st.

All his fans either A) blamed the injury or B ) said the fix was in. Most agreed an "in shape and motivated" Liston would wipe the floor with Ali.

Prepare yourself for the deluge of "Anderson didn't take him seriously, he's going to kill Weidman the 2nd time" threads

When they met for the 2nd time, Ali KO'd Liston early in the first (a shot that became known as the "Phantom punch", feel free to read up on it) and some people to this day cling to the belief that the fight was fixed, even though replays show the punch landing square on the jaw of an off-balance Liston who stepped right into the shot.

I expect, just like Ali-Liston, Shogun-Machida, and Edgar-Maynard, the result to be even more definitive the 2nd time.

Except Weidman will never be the level of Silva or Ali. I definitely underestimated him and think that he deserved that win, but I still don't think that he's a better fighter than Siva.

If they were going to rig it, it would be for Silva so they get their money's worth from his 10 fight deal. Come on people.

Except Weidman will never be the level of Silva or Ali. I definitely underestimated him and think that he deserved that win, but I still don't think that he's a better fighter than Siva.

Id rather be the lesser fighter than to be the one waking up to a doctors flashlight in the eye.

A loss is a loss but to me nothing much was settled as I don't really know how good Weidman really is. I think what happens in the coming weeks will tell the tale. If Silva wants the immediate rematch then I think he believes he was clowning around and can take him in a serious fight. If Silva doesn't want that fight, then I think he realizes age has caught up with him and he just doesn't want to get KTFO again.

As I see it, you have a huge ego that was upset that any of his peers thought Weidman could take him. Silva set out to disgrace Weidman like he did others when there was any mention of them being in the same league as Silva...except it backfired.

I'd be pissed if I were Weidman too because he seriously has to wonder if he could beat Silva too...it was a cheapened win. Deep down, he knows he didn't win a brawl but won a circus event. Dana needs to open a can of whoop ass on these guys. Silva lost me a long time ago though with his antics. I don't buy PPV events when he is the main event (which is always).

If they were going to rig it, it would be for Silva so they get their money's worth from his 10 fight deal. Come on people.

That's idiotic.

You rig fights for the underdog to win so that you make a lot of money at the gambling window.

It doesn't pay to "rig" a fight for a guy who's a -300 walking into the cage.

In any case it wasn't rigged, I'm pointing out that it's what people claim when a big underdog pulls off the upset.

The lyrics in my sig are about Sonny Liston.

[YT]VyOW8lQOG8Q[/YT]

Black Cadillac, Alligator boots
Money in the pockets of his shark skin suits
Some say the Bear took a flop
They couldn't believe it when they saw him drop

Back