The Unofficial Bodyweight Training Thread.

This guy seems to have one of the most impressive physiques of a bar athlete I have ever seen:

[YT]XFG3VOxKY18[/YT]

My pull-ups have really gone down so now I'm on a five set plan where I do as any reps as I can in five sets. I try to add a rep every workout or two and no forced reps or anything that will hurt my recovery. I did this for for days and already I'm back up to 17 reps on the first set.

BUMP of awesomeness!

[YT]CwpthayH03c[/YT]

OA chin up/ pull up has been a dream of mine for a long time but I can't even do controlled negatives.

Question, I've been trying to do chin Ups but have been struggling a fair bit. Ive been told the best way progress is to place your feet on a chair a few feet away from you and do partials to build up strength is that correct? I'm 280pounds and 6ft3 and can only do 3 proper chin Ups if that helps.

Negatives are a sensible suggestion and cost free, but personally I found progress on them rather slow and a bit frustrating. I prefer band assisted pull ups. I found I had a much faster rate of progression with bands.

Anyone tried doing weighted dips on rings/trx?

Ive been doing them for reps for awhile now but im thinking about adding weight for lower reps.

Im not sure its a good idea with the extra stabilisation required though.

Anyone here tried weighted pushups? Everyone says that squats are superior to leg press as your moving your body, so why would the same not be true for pushups being superior to bench press?

Anyone here tried weighted pushups? Everyone says that squats are superior to leg press as your moving your body, so why would the same not be true for pushups being superior to bench press?

Well I'm not against weighted push ups and I believe they are a great movement and have their place in a program.

But in the long run stacking the plates might become a problem unless you have 50kg plates and even then.

The same would be asked about OHP and handstand pushups.

I do weighted pushups with a 150lb weighted vest. I do them with push-up handles on cement blocks so I still make depth.

Well I'm not against weighted push ups and I believe they are a great movement and have their place in a program.

But in the long run stacking the plates might become a problem unless you have 50kg plates and even then.

The same would be asked about OHP and handstand pushups.

Do you think they could they be a long term alternative to benching if benching is impossible for someone? I.e. used as the main upper body pushing movement? Right now im considering a very minimalist approach to training consisting of squats, deadlifts, pushups, inverted rows and chinups.

Do you think they could they be a long term alternative to benching if benching is impossible for someone? I.e. used as the main upper body pushing movement? Right now im considering a very minimalist approach to training consisting of squats, deadlifts, pushups, inverted rows and chinups.

I don't consider myself as that much of an expert to really suggest one over the other. But I do think that if you go heavy enough you can still add upperbody strength. Just stick with the proper rep/set range that you would use on bench and IMO you should be fine. And you could use a vest like JRT6 said. But again I'm not suggesting one over another. Of course if you don't have acces to an bench then you work with what you got.

I don't consider myself as that much of an expert to really suggest one over the other. But I do think that if you go heavy enough you can still add upperbody strength. Just stick with the proper rep/set range that you would use on bench and IMO you should be fine. And you could use a vest like JRT6 said. But again I'm not suggesting one over another. Of course if you don't have acces to an bench then you work with what you got.

I cant afford a vest. I was thinking a backpack full of whatever heavy stuff I can find. Maybe make some concrete plates.

I cant afford a vest. I was thinking a backpack full of whatever heavy stuff I can find. Maybe make some concrete plates.

Sure that could work. For smaller increases you could use small sand bags and actually weigh them. You could even sow a belly strap for the backpack so it'll be a bit more firm.

Don't tase me bodyweight aficionados, but the bench press is a much simpler way to progressively load that movement when compared to weighted push ups. Plus stacking plates on your back is much less stable than holding a barbell in your hands. And the bench press isn't analogous to leg pressing because it isn't done on a track.

Good luck.

Mir vests are relatively cheap and are well worth the investment.

Don't tase me bodyweight aficionados, but the bench press is a much simpler way to progressively load that movement when compared to weighted push ups. Plus stacking plates on your back is much less stable than holding a barbell in your hands. And the bench press isn't analogous to leg pressing because it isn't done on a track.

Good luck.

I can't argue with this. Benching would be easier. I don't see either being better, but benching is more efficient.

I can't argue with this. Benching would be easier. I don't see either being better, but benching is more efficient.

If they are equal in other respects, and benching is more efficient, then benching would be better. If benching isn't better, there would have to be other respects in which weighted press-ups are better which offset the greater efficiency of bench.

For anyone having trouble doing pull ups/chin ups, I found doing cluster sets helped me tremendously. They also in helped me in progressing to full on pistol squats.

Simple def of a cluster set if anyone needs to know is: say you can do 6 pullups, during your set do only 3 reps, take a 10-15 second break, do 3 again, and do this for 6-10 sets.

Also, dragon flag progressions helped me to do full levers better than anything else, but I think that's common knowledge.

Weighted pushups has the difference from bench press that it will also give your core alot of stress.

Depending on goals and overall fitness level this cna be good or bad.

Personally i think dips are a better bench substitute.

Weighted push-ups also offer scapularilzation(sp).

Back