The welterweight belt is the only one to have never been hold by a Brazilian

Thanks man. Proper english is difficult as shit if that's not your first language, but im improving.

So "hold" is not a thing?

That is a pretty complicated tense you have in the title. I'm a native english speaker and I don't even know the formal name of that tense. Past perfect or past participle or something like that.

to have never been held by a Brazilian

You could strip away a lot of it and still convey the point.

"WW is the only belt never held by a Brazillian."

It is sort of implied as:

WW is the only belt that was never held by a Brazilian.

Long story short, you are doing very well.
I wouldn't necessarily know you aren't a native speaker aside from that minor error in tense, and I think I have seen a decent amount of your posts.

The average WW walks around at around 190lbs? And is probably under 6ft. I am thinking that this is prime for soccer.

Average WW is 5'10-6'2 (so yeah 6ft) and probably 190-210lbs lean. They're damn near NFL, Rugby, MLB, Tennis etc size. Especially for certain positions.

That is a pretty complicated tense you have in the title. I'm a native english speaker and I don't even know the formal name of that tense. Past perfect or past participle or something like that.

to have never been held by a Brazilian

You could strip away a lot of it and still convey the point.

"WW is the only belt never held by a Brazillian."

It is sort of implied as:

WW is the only belt that was never held by a Brazilian.

Long story short, you are doing very well.
I wouldn't necessarily know you aren't a native speaker aside from that minor error in tense, and I think I have seen a decent amount of your posts.
Thanks man. That's great news to me because perfecting english is a tough road. But a fun one. If you notice i mess up, just correct me so i'll keep improving!

Thanks man. Proper english is difficult as shit if that's not your first language, but im improving.

Hold means currently. Leon Edwards Holds the WW belt.
Have is in the past. GSP used to have the WW title.

When you said "to have never been hold by a Brazilian" Have means past and Hold means current. All it means is you speak much better english then the guy criticizing you speaks your native language. I have French friends who do that all the time in english and they get embarrassed but their english is 100x better then my french.

That’s actually kind of shocking

Ian Machado of course

His son is 25 % Brazilian which in turn makes Ian Machado Brazilian.

Honestly? Doesn't seem like anyone in the UFC currently will be the one to do it. Unless it's someone like at lightweight or middleweight, who will look completely fresh and reinvented by moving to WW

Not really.
It's how I've always been taught it. If both my dad's parents were Italian, he's also full Italian. My mom doesn't have Italian family? I'm half Italian, and if I have a kid with someone of no Italian family, our kid will be a quarter.

Now, genes common to specific ancestry pass down with a bit more randomness, and there's been a LONG history of people crossing cultures and intermixing, so genetic tests will come up with different uneven percents, but the whole halves and quarters thing is definitely how people treat general ancestry.

Of course, I say this without caring to know shit about Garry's whole family situation

Not really.
giphy.gif

I don't think it's happening.

That fact is pretty crazy.
what belts have the other major MMA nationalities not held?
A big issue I would say is that 170lbs never really had a strong push in Japan during the 00's and a large amount of elite Brazilian talent tended to come though via promoter links to Japan.

it is a thing. but hold means current, you want to use held because it's describing not just the current but also the past. English is hard even for people whose only language is English lmao

So who got the closest (I will try off memory doing no research)

Thiago Alves tried against GSP
Gilbert burns against usman
Mia fought a few times in a number 1 contenders bout and lost
Dos anjos fought in a number 1 contender bout and lost
Royce Gracie got pummeled by Hughes (I think for the title but could of been in between the BJ fights )

Last edited:
Back