There are more cougars in USA than Canada, I believe..

GuanoApes

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
According to sources on Google, there’s only about 10,000 cougars (estimated) in Canada..

While USA is estimated to have like 20,000 - 40,000 cougars..

Anyone know what’s up with that? I thought thee Canadian government did a great job at preserving their wilderness? Does it gets too cold in lots of parts of Canada or something..? Anyone know?

The Rocky Mountains go through Canada, and Canada has numerous other mountain ranges too.. You’d think Canada would have plenty of mountain lions..

Surprisingly though, USA has heavily eradicated their cougar populations but still have more than Canada..

Anyone know what’s up with that?

Attachments

• IMG_3447.png
    IMG_3447.png
    355.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3448.png
    IMG_3448.png
    327.5 KB · Views: 3
According to this site, cougars were heavily trapped and poisoned in North America by Europeans..

(Europeans saw them as a threat to livestock, for one thing..)

Still though, Canada has a big wolf and bear population..

I’m still a little puzzled on how their cougar population is so low. (Most of Canada is forest anyways, and isn’t even farmland..)

Maybe pressure and competition from other abundant predators in Canada keeps their numbers lower ie wolves, bears etc.

Seem to remember wolves will kill cougar cubs if found to eliminate future competition.

According to this site, cougars were heavily trapped and poisoned in North America by Europeans..

(Europeans saw them as a threat to livestock, for one thing..)

Still though, Canada has a big wolf and bear population..

I’m still a little puzzled on how their cougar population is so low. (Most of Canada is forest anyways, and isn’t even farmland..)
I would guess it is the competition with the wolves and bears for food sources that is the reason...

there are mountains near my city that have massive amounts of cougars and its because hunting is not allowed there meaning there are more deer.

Lots of open flat land, which they don't love. Large part of Canada is too cold for them. Also have to deal with Bears and wolves, which they don't have over a large portion of their range in the USA(other than Black bears).

In before joke about still fuckable older ladies.

That aside, we have Puma in my region of NY, but the authorities lie about it

The Department of Natural Resources in Wisconsin said there weren't any in Wisconsin even though many trail cameras were picking them up and tracks were reported. The DNR claimed that there was a lone cougar that traveled past several trail cameras across the state. One man was showing the DNR tracks and scat in his area in 2018 and they were trying to tell him that they weren't cougar tracks. Then they saw a cougar in a tree.

In November of 2023, a deer hunter shot a cougar with an arrow because it was stalking him. The DNR says there are no cougars in Wisconsin but it's illegal to kill them because they are a protected species in Wisconsin.

Cougars aren't known to be animals that like living in cold conditions. The hottest section of Canada is the one directly next to the US border, which is also where all the people live. If cougars went north they could be left alone, but it's cold as balls. Why would they do that when they can stay in cozy US?

The Department of Natural Resources in Wisconsin said there weren't any in Wisconsin even though many trail cameras were picking them up and tracks were reported. The DNR claimed that there was a lone cougar that traveled past several trail cameras across the state. One man was showing the DNR tracks and scat in his area in 2018 and they were trying to tell him that they weren't cougar tracks. Then they saw a cougar in a tree.

In November of 2023, a deer hunter shot a cougar with an arrow because it was stalking him. The DNR says there are no cougars in Wisconsin but it's illegal to kill them because they are a protected species in Wisconsin.

It's the same around here. I've talked to people who have both image captures and put eyes on them. They're here, albeit spread out and at the (relatively) higher altitudes.

Lots of the locals, and all of the woodsman around here, know that the authorities purposely mislead the larger populace about it.

Nobody really cares because they're not really a threat in their low, fearful numbers. The ones that venture in stay clear of us, as we've historically been their destroyer around here.

I do think it's noteworthy to point out that it's lied about, either way. Just for the sake of spreading the word that such lies are practiced by government agencies. The same agencies placed in charge of spreading the 'truth' about the very topic they're lying about.

Back