There is a lack of stars right now

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
125: Non existent, Moreno has a following but he just announced that he is taking a break. Pantoja, Erceg, and Royval have zero draw.
135: Sean defnitely has a following and is sadly one of the most popular fighters at the moment. Merab and Cory have small followings, but not so much I would call them a stars.
145: Volk is a star, but is basically done within a handful of fights at best. Topuria has potential, but I think its being over stated with all the spain sports team stuff. I have yet to hear a casual speak of Topuria.
155: Probably has the most Stars with Justin, Dustin, Charles, Chandler. Definitely the best division in MMA skill and name recognition wise.
170: Colby and Usman are basically done. They are trying to push Shavkat, Jack, but they dont have the same draw. Edwards has a following but he is the least popular WW champ ever apart from Johnny Hendricks.
185: Izzy and Strickland. DDP isn't there yet.
205: Poatan is awesome, but is old.
HW: Jones is showing his age. Aspinall is great, but it falls off pretty hard after that.

UFC 300 is a pretty decent card, but I feel like things have gone downhill pretty quick in the past several years.

I think at flyweight Mokaev could be a draw with the proper push

Sherdog: I want stars! Make stars!

Sherdog: Fucking hypetrains, lol, it's so ridiculous. Glad it got derailed.

"I'm a big fan of MMA and I can't wait for this super interesting new prospect to fail!"

Every new guy that comes on the scene is just a "hypejob" and everyone wants them to fail. Hard to build stars when "UFC fans" want to see everyone just go away before they even get started.

125: Non existent, Moreno has a following but he just announced that he is taking a break. Pantoja, Erceg, and Royval have zero draw.
135: Sean defnitely has a following and is sadly one of the most popular fighters at the moment. Merab and Cory have small followings, but not so much I would call them a stars.
145: Volk is a star, but is basically done within a handful of fights at best. Topuria has potential, but I think its being over stated with all the spain sports team stuff. I have yet to hear a casual speak of Topuria.
155: Probably has the most Stars with Justin, Dustin, Charles, Chandler. Definitely the best division in MMA skill and name recognition wise.
170: Colby and Usman are basically done. They are trying to push Shavkat, Jack, but they dont have the same draw. Edwards has a following but he is the least popular WW champ ever apart from Johnny Hendricks.
185: Izzy and Strickland. DDP isn't there yet.
205: Poatan is awesome, but is old.
HW: Jones is showing his age. Aspinall is great, but it falls off pretty hard after that.

UFC 300 is a pretty decent card, but I feel like things have gone downhill pretty quick in the past several years.
LOL, the ufc has gotten more popular over the years. but i'd be surprised if the average joe would know anyone apart from mystic mac and jon jones and that too for their tomfoolery outside of the sport.

"Casuals" won't watch flyweight and likely won't know anybody besides the champ and whoever is consistently moronic on social media (strickland, colby, shields, etc.). hell some of them know of nate diaz and not nick....woodley is known not as baby GSP but instead as the mma guy that lost to Jake Paul which is a shame.

But basically, casuals

-only watch title fights
-are familiar with long reigning champs/fighters that are part time influencers/opponents of jake paul

But yes, I agree with you. Nobody has the "wow" and natural "flamboyant" aura that Tito and Mcnuggets had to put the sport on the map atleast currently.

Back