Movies There Will be Blood vs. No Country for Old Men - Which is the better film?

Which is the better film?

• Total voters
There will be blood just for having a coherent last third of a story.

They are both masterpieces.

I saw them both in the theatre and I loved them both.

I picked No Country just on intuition.

I don't have any critical reason(s) to prefer one vs. the other.

Absolute domination for No Country for Old Men. Not even close.

Hell or High Water, Wind River, Open Range, Bone Tomahawk, True Grit, The Revenant, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, The Proposition, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, and Hostiles are all great westerns.

But No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, and 3:10 to Yuma stand above and apart.

You may wanna check out Old Henry if you havent seen it yet

No Country for Old Men is an amazing film but imo There Will Be Blood is one of the best films of all time. Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano going head to head is so fucking epic. the music and cinematography are both top notch. personally I think it should have edged No Country for best picture that year but at least the #2 movie still won. I think both are incredible examples of literary adaptations to film and both are sort of 'anti' westerns that do a great job of subverting traditional themes of the genre

Both have their issues. TWBB wasn't the greatest story in the world but DDL made it seem like a masterpiece.

No Country is excellent for the first half or two thirds but then it just falls flat on it's face after that.

I voted for TWBB initially but now that I think more about it No Country edges it in my opinion. DDL's performance trumps every performance in No Country hands down but I think overall, No Country is the better package.

2193b0f0-9334-4f26-8033-c7cc2b1d4c61_text.gif

They're both great but TWBB is the superior movie. NCFOM was entertaining and has more pop appeal but TWBB is among the best of all time.

Head to head it's like comparing a Michael Bay flick starring evil Forrest Gump with a cattle prod to a Shakespearean masterpiece starring GOAT contender DDS.

No Country is excellent for the first half or two thirds but then it just falls flat on it's face after that.

A lot of people say this. I feel it's because they are missing the major theme of the movie- think about the coin scene. It all makes sense against that context.

No Country is the better film but they are pretty damn close. Which says a lot about DDL performance because TWBB would probably be unfilmable/unwatchable without him. No Country is one of my favorite movies.

A lot of people say this. I feel it's because they are missing the major theme of the movie- think about the coin scene. It all makes sense against that context.

Yeah it makes sense but it doesn't quite make it good. Things just really grind to a halt. I still enjoy the first two thirds enough to give it the nod over TWBB.

Back