Things to do during injury

Baron Samedi

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey sherdog, so I was biking to the gym the other day and got t-boned by a hit and run driver. Luckily I only have a small fracture in my foot, but I'll have a 6 week layoff. I've been training for about 9 months and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on activities during the injury.

Anything you can. when I have to stay off the mats due to some sort of injury, ill do push-ups, crunches, body squats and a ton of stretching... If you can figure a way to get your heart rate up then do that as well. Might be kinda tough with a broken foot though. Be patient too...

Hey there,

you can do a lot of things.

-Go to classes and watch them
-Do things in BJJ you can do, master back control e.t.c. (let a willing training partner take your back and just try to hold on as long as you can. You don't even have to use both your hands, you can defend yourself okay with your chin down and moving the shoulders forward)
- Weight lifht your upper body
- Armbar escape drills
- Master grip strenght

Take care
Tomas.

Sorry to hear about your accident!

I would suggest:

1. Visualizing techniques, drilling and matches
2. Watch and dissect video
3. Go to class and watch people train. Even if you get on the mat and do some push ups or something while people train, it still keeps your mind in things.
4. Train what you can physically. You might even be able to get people to drill x chokes from the guard with you or something (stuff you don't really need your ankle for)
5. Post on forums and discuss technique. While there are lots of useless threads (and posters), there are also some good people to discuss theory, technique and generally shoot the shit about grappling with. It's another way of breaking things down mentally and learning through analysis.

You could go visit the S&C forum or maybe the Mayberry for some lols. Stay away from the OT though.

Last edited:
I was out for 7 months with a shoulder injury. I watched many instructionals and youtube videos over technique to keep my fire going and me thinking about BJJ. When I came back, other than having crappy cardio, it was like I never left. In fact, I was better, imo.

Pull-ups. Slow, fast, one armed negative, underhand, overhand, wide grip, narrow grip, towel grip, gi grip, four finger, three finger, two finger (if you can), one armed (if you can).

Also, you can still drill things around your injury. I injured my ankle years ago and couldn't do much, but I'd do reps reaching in to secure cross collar grip each day with my Gi top hung on the back of a chair. You can't really work the finer details of the choke with it on the chair, but you can work your coordination / timing / etc of establishing deep grips.

All good replies. I've been out for 4 months now due a shoulder injury that required surgery. I've watched a lot of mginaction in my off time.

Now, the thing I'd advise against is eating cookies while you watch your videos. For some reason I can't seem to wrap my head around that.

Back