Thinking of a Cheap Carry Gun. Comments Welcome

just bought a Taurus PT111 G2 from bass pro. 289 plus tax.

So far ive run 3 boxes of WWB through it with zero issues. its not the prettiest gal at the dance but she puts out. slightly thinner than a compact glock. same length. take down is precisely the same. Has a manual safety that some people hate but my 1911 slinging ass prefers. 12+1 of 9mm in a package only slightly bigger than my PPK is gravy all day. First time in my life ive EVER recommended a Taurus. highly.

When @Cubo de Sangre said I'd be spending loads of cash on the ATI Commander, I scoffed at him but after shooting it he may be right.

its good for the price point, $360 but I can't in good conscious shoot this thing with the trigger it shipped with, So I've already ordered a trigger kit and full length spring guide for it.

Slide to Frame fit is very good on this thing.

Didn't like how thick the grips were so I filed'em down, painted and paint-thinner'd them
20160820_073514_resized_1_zpsegqedh4s.jpg

A buddy of mine has a Philipine Charles Daly

20160817_181524_resized_2_zpstzzpwsps.jpg

20160817_181414_resized_2_zpselygbnot.jpg

20160817_181422_zps5sigjnqj.jpg

He used it to beat out a bunch of Cops last year at All Police State match hosted on his range last year.
20160817_181433_resized_2_zpsfvfkywyp.jpg

The dude is a modern day version of this Cat:

13LXGh5.gif

After the trigger, lowering the ejection port, and flaring the magwell, I'll upgrade the sights and that'll be it.

So far I've got $360 + $120 of Ed brown Trigger parts and spring guides .

Did it get left out in the rain or something? That is one of the rustiest guns I've ever seen.

Hilarious that he kicked ass in the comp with a gun like that.

Did it get left out in the rain or something? That is one of the rustiest guns I've ever seen.

I'm sure it was, and more.. This guy is HARD on equipment. I think he purposely brings shit like that to matches to point and laugh when he beats people.

Nicest gun I ever saw him compete with was this one:
Phil_zps6e96f804.jpg

And only because the rifle was 1 month old.

After having this thing, upgrading the trigger, and shooting it some, I can say its overall an OK gun. Nothing special. It's better 15 yards and closing than 25-30 yards that's for sure. It's not as good as just buying an XD. And its rusts! It could be made good but I'm not spending anymore dough on it.

maybe I'll let it get like my buddies gun.

Its a good practice gun since its more difficult to achieve the same accuracy as something Go'vt length.

My grandfather had an old ass 1911, I think it was a springer but the story is that he brought it back from world war 2. I think my uncle has it now.

My dad has bad memories of it as a kid, says it never worked all that well and was all beat to shit but according to him, back in the late 1950s my grandfather capped a guy in the hip with it for beating his wife on the side of a country road in rural Michigan.

Actually maybe it was a rand rather than a springer....shit I don't know, it's been 20 years since I saw that gun.

If youre planning on ever shooting those at night for defense purposes, take those comps off ASAP

just bought a Taurus PT111 G2 from bass pro. 289 plus tax.

So far ive run 3 boxes of WWB through it with zero issues. its not the prettiest gal at the dance but she puts out. slightly thinner than a compact glock. same length. take down is precisely the same. Has a manual safety that some people hate but my 1911 slinging ass prefers. 12+1 of 9mm in a package only slightly bigger than my PPK is gravy all day. First time in my life ive EVER recommended a Taurus. highly.

I'm now pondering the purchase of one. Still digg'n yours?

I'm now pondering the purchase of one. Still digg'n yours?
very much. Now that its cold i carry my 1911 most days since my clothes accommodate it easily. But it has effectively replaced my ppk as my casual carry gun.

very much. Now that its cold i carry my 1911 most days since my clothes accommodate it easily. But it has effectively replaced my ppk as my casual carry gun.

How's the trigger comparatively?

Looky what I can order now . . .

Dealers can now order the Ideal Conceal "cellphone gun" . . .

24xg8k0.jpg

vzy3bn.jpg

How's the trigger comparatively?
the double action pull feels pretty standard, like most DAO style pulls. kinda heavy up front, breaks, a bit of slack and resets a quarter of the way. I will say the SA trigger pull on it is not that good. its almost as heavy as when its in DA. both are about 7lbs from the feel of it.

the double action pull feels pretty standard, like most DAO style pulls. kinda heavy up front, breaks, a bit of slack and resets a quarter of the way. I will say the SA trigger pull on it is not that good. its almost as heavy as when its in DA. both are about 7lbs from the feel of it.

Geez.

I was told by the manufacturer that the MAP was to be no less than $450 . . . but I know a guy who'll sell for less than that. :)

Very interesting. Would be a no-brainer (provided it works) if I didn't live in a no-carry state. :mad:

Still very tempting.

Back