"This guy is complicated." Pereira responds to Uncleaev callout

"The man doesn't have a chin." Lololol

In 50+ fights, encompassing two different sports, one of which has opposition who are infinitely higher level strikers than Ank, Alex has been (T)KO three times. And one of those times he threw in the towel, and the Kyshenko fight could have maybe kept going, if the ref had just let the round end. Literally the only time Alex has been laid out was against Izzy, who is also a higher level striker than Ank.

Ali is an out of fashion slur for autists.

Yea, Ank has a chin but he's never faced a striker like Poatan. If Ank was smart, he'd take that fight a lot sooner before Poatan gets better with his grappling.

That’s the wierd thing about Ank. He hasn’t really been the Khabib equivalent at LHW in terms of grappling. We expect him to be a dominant grappler bc he’s a Dagi, and I think he has some of those skills, but he just doesn’t know how to use them in an MMA context in a way that everyone expects. I truly think he’ll try banging with Alex.

Last edited:
Have we any reason to assume that that's the only event Ank wants to fight at? Or is this just a bunch of hooplah about nothing?

100% right, people need to look at the upcoming PPV schedule before jumping to conclusions. We aren't going to see Pereira again from 301 to 305.

I don’t think some people don’t understand there’s a business factor as to when and where fighters are booked. They want to spread their talent out to fill cards and they also do care about catering to international audiences with local fighters. They aren’t going to slot a big name in Pereira in some co-main slot in England or Australia when those already have big headliners tailored to the local audience just because he’s available. There’s other factors to consider.

Izzy isn't over in Australia. Perth is a 7 hour flight from NZ. I get the Dricus/ Izzy fight in Perth for reasons of timing, but why do we keep pretending that Izzy in a Australia is a thing?

The champ calls the shot, if he want it sooner, so be it... If Ank is not ready, he can get a shot later. I see no issue here...
The champ doesn't call shit in the UFC, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pereira would rather not fight Ankalaev even if he does mainly stand.

The champ doesn't call shit in the UFC, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pereira would rather not fight Ankalaev even if he does mainly stand.
Why wouldn't Alex want to fight Ank in a primarly standup affair?

Ank is the challenger if anything the fight should be in Brazil. Where tf do these Russians get off begging for every fight to be in UAE.
You are right, but we have learned here on Sherdog that the champ has no part on when and where the fights take place. The UFC just decides that, and the fighters will do what they are told.

Izzy isn't over in Australia. Perth is a 7 hour flight from NZ. I get the Dricus/ Izzy fight in Perth for reasons of timing, but why do we keep pretending that Izzy in a Australia is a thing?

I know Australia & NZ aren't that close but Izzy literally just headlined the last PPV in Australia, and it's very likely he's going to be in the main event of the next PPV there vs DDP.

LHW Champ travelling to Abu Dhabi to fight a challenger on home territory? Doesn't make sense.

Poatan has more fans in Dubai, India than Ank.

Ank's no Islam/Khabib, whereas Poatan is universally loved right now. He's like the MMA version of Usyk/Beterbiev. Everybody respects him for being a throwback warrior.

Unless Pereira would want to settle for Co-main I think Abu Dhabi was a fair suggestion from Ankalaev given all the other upcoming PPV main events seem covered.
What are you talking about? Unless it was a HW title fight, it would bump anything else down the line. TItle fights are always fought with the heaviest at the top as far as a I can recall

Poatan has more fans in Dubai, India than Ank.

Ank's no Islam/Khabib, whereas Poatan is universally loved right now. He's like the MMA version of Usyk/Beterbiev. Everybody respects him for being a throwback warrior.
Respects come naturally when you're the realest of the realists in the business that full of clout chasers, attention seekers, fakes, and pretenders.

Ank already got offered a shot and he declined because of Ramadan… he doesn’t just get to call out the champ on pretty much a hometown advantage shenanigan town where a certain set of fighters always seem to have the edge. Ank got his shot, he declined, end of story. (Not to mention the other stinker he laid against Jan where he got his legs chewed up)

Have Pereira fight for the HW interim while Jiri and Ank sort things out.
Pereira is reaching Vegas and MSG only GOAT status... No way they would waste him on a 1PM PPV
Poåtan's legacy is still far from GOAT though.

-Ankalaev
-Chimaev
-Xxxy 3
-Jan 2
-Jiri 2
-Hill 2
-Rakic
-Rountree
-DDP
-MVP
-Darren "Motherfucking" Till 2.0

With his typical conditioning and work ethics, all can be clear before he turns 39. Lots of work to be in the same class as Jones, GSP, MM, Anderson.

It would be perfect at the Sphere in September.😍

That’s the wierd thing about Ank. He hasn’t really been the Khabib equivalent at LHW in terms of grappling. We expect him to be a dominant grappler bc he’s a Dagi, and I think he has some of those skills, but he just doesn’t know how to use them in an MMA context in a way that everyone expects. I truly think he’ll try banging with Alex.

Can't believe it took this long for someone to acknowledge this. Ankalaev is a striker and not even a very good one. He just tries to weasel out decisions. He has nothing to do with Khabib's team, coaches, style, etc. He is much less of a threat to Pereira than Hill was and even less of a draw.

Fuck Abu Dhabi, why should a champ making his 2nd defense have to fight somewhere Ankalaev would be the favorite? If Ank wants it he should fight sooner and at the very least in neutral territory.
the problem is fighting in abu dhabi may affect who is favored to win the fight, not just who is fan favorite. non-muslim fighters would be wise to avoid fighting there.

Whats the trend with title challengers thinking they call all the shots lately? Seen a few cases now where the challengers thinks they can name the time and place and the champ just has to show up.

Back