This is for the OGs. A fight that should have happened

You mean except for Tito and Arona? Who beat Wand during that time? Two MMA wrestlers, and Randy was clearly better than both of them at his peak.

In a ring under PRIDE rules? Gotta favor Wand.
In a cage under UFC rules? Gotta favor Randy.

Wand went on to beat arona. Tito wasn’t Pride rules or in a ring and Jon got his arm wrecked by middleweight Vitor. Randy being more clinch dependent for his wrestling, wand murders him.

Reactions: HHJ
Randy didn't have a stellar history in Japan, outside of the UFC. If this had happened in PRIDE I'd favor Wand 100%.

ehhh not really. they’re the same height at 5’11 and arona’s got far more musculature & better grappling technique.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Randy Couture could man handle superheavyweights and has a very strong wrestling background. He had the leverage to control Brock Lesnar. Arona is a natural MW who learned how to wrestle in a BJJ garage, despite all his 'muscles' impressing your tiny mind so much.

Couture never really performed well in the ring and PRIDE was Wand's domain. Randy gets brutally KO'd

Fedor vs Wand in 2005 is a fight I would love to have seen.

Randy would dominate him if they fought inside of a cage and not a ring.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Randy Couture could man handle superheavyweights and has a very strong wrestling background. He had the leverage to control Brock Lesnar. Arona is a natural MW who learned how to wrestle in a BJJ garage, despite all his 'muscles' impressing your tiny mind so much.
lmfaoooooo “arona is a natural MW”

hqdefault.jpg

In the cage, not in the ring and not under PRIDE rules where he would have to stay active if he was able to take Wanderlei down.
If Arona could do it so could Randy, not saying he would but it definitely isn't out of the the realm of possibility

A juiced Wandy would have murked Couture in the ring. Couture's greco and dirty boxing wouldn't work well for him in the ring. I see him getting his head punted like Fujita's.

Under Pride rules: Wand by vicious face stomps and soccer kicks

He literally looks 2 weightclasses smaller than that small heavyweight in your chosen picture. And yes the MW arguably beat Fedor.
you’re blind but yes, that was a very close fight.

I think pride rules silva catches him but in the cage randy would have done what randy does. Randy needs those walls to win this I think.

I dont believe that at all !
Randy wasnt inconsistent,he always gave it his all. I dont think he had any off nights that I can see.

Maybe I didn't word it right, I did not mean to imply Randy didn't work hard enough. If anything, he was probably 1 of the hardest working & probably did more than what he was given in terms of talent. He's just 1 of those guys that can beat or lose to anyone in the top 5, you could never really be sure if he was gonna win or lose going in. He was always elite, but not 1 of those dominant champs whom you would assume would win (guys like Fedor, Jones, Anderson, GSP, etc). Many of Randy's fights, you could say pre-fight were almost a coin-flip

He still had problems with MMA wrestling--Arona--And don't underestimate Randy's dirty boxing.
In a ring Randy’s grinder style would suffer from a lack of cage to push his opponent into, and under Pride rules Wand could stall to a quick standup.

Randy would get a yellow if he tried the lnp in the 1st 10min round

There's an equal chance he uses knees to the head of a grounded opponent, like Coleman put to good use. People say Pride rules are anti-wrestler, but it made someone like Coleman a killer in Pride. The only reason Pride was not wrestler heavy is because of their mostly Brazilian and Japanese roster, neither of which had a ton of great wrestlers, except Arona. Saku was a "catch wrestler" but is much more of a sub hunter than a guy who would take you down and smash you.

Pride rules I think Randy is in trouble

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back