This is probably why you can't escape side control

Nice, I never knew this. I always got taught the way you said at the start. But, I will go to give this a try tomorrow in class. Looks good, thanks.

Solid. I have a saying ‘half of jiu jitsu dies with an elbow across the throat.’ Across innumerable contexts, if you get good at putting the elbow on the throat it wrecks everything your opponent is attempting. It takes practice to get it effective and figure out how to be safe against attacks that exploit the elbow control, however.

IMO the palm down cross collar grip is one of the most insufferable and under-used grips in BJJ, particularly when you use it to ‘steer’ your opponent’s face.

Nice, I never knew this. I always got taught the way you said at the start. But, I will go to give this a try tomorrow in class. Looks good, thanks.

:D

Ryan Hall's open elbows dvd explains it all.

ryan's a great teacher

Solid. I have a saying ‘half of jiu jitsu dies with an elbow across the throat.’ Across innumerable contexts, if you get good at putting the elbow on the throat it wrecks everything your opponent is attempting. It takes practice to get it effective and figure out how to be safe against attacks that exploit the elbow control, however.

IMO the palm down cross collar grip is one of the most insufferable and under-used grips in BJJ, particularly when you use it to ‘steer’ your opponent’s face.

no one likes an elbow across the throat haha

Great vid, as always.

If your elbow goes up, wouldn't it be easy for the guy on top to shuck your elbow up and advance towards an arm triangle type position?

If your elbow goes up, wouldn't it be easy for the guy on top to shuck your elbow up and advance towards an arm triangle type position?
He covered that in the video, but I tend to agree that if you get sloppy or lazy that can happen. You just have to be aware of it I guess

if you're REALLY unaware yes. but i honestly dont remember the last time i got caught in an arm triangle

What if pinner clears the elbow up towards your face, and then just bares down? He can get into scarf hold then.

i don't understand what you mean

I think he’s asking what if the guy on to goes for the arm triangle set up.

You kind of addressed it.

The pinner in that video can still get to kesa gatame or kuzure kesa if he pushes the framing arm up towards framers face. I say the scarf holds are just as hard to get out of.

I still don't understand why that matters though, they can switch to kesa wherever i put the arm. As for escaping kesa i filmed a video on that tonight actually

Could not agree enough, one of the most versatile and underused grips in the sport. I've been using this for years to frame from bottom, push/pull as needed, redirect their chin, and threaten modified loop chokes. Money.

This is awesome and so simple and practical. Thanks a lot, never heard or thought of doing this before.

~DaViD~

It's a timing thing. If your opponent has weight on your elbow, they make your humerus more difficult to move. So pressuring while in this position makes it more difficult to enter Kata Gatame. Further with this positioning the top guy can't use your wrist position to make your elbow flare out, which they can 100 percent do with the traditional position.

Finally, if you watch someone do this they typically retreat from your frame for a second to make you reach a little bit (and to remove weight from the post in order to make it easier to move). The OP showed how to take advantage of that to just re-establish guard. Where no one is choking you.

Back