• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Those who know about guns....

Well, I did it...I went for the Pardner Pump Protector.
pardnerpump.jpg

It was a pretty good deal and I feel it comfortable with it. It holds five shells and one in the chamber, (It originally held two, but it it had a removable rod so that it could be modified to hold five.)
I picked up a box of these...
Winchester-Ammunition-Super-Target.jpg

Which are 2 3/4" shells, size 8 shot.
And a box of these...
remington_express_buckshot.jpg

Which are 2 3/4" shells, 00 shot.
At first I thought that the bigger the number, (such as number 8) the larger the shot was, but I realized after getting home that the smaller the number, (such as 4 to 00) the larger the shot was. Beginner's mistake.
Overall, I'm very happy. Now, I just can't wait to get out and try it out.
Thank you all for your advice, and I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. Chances are, that now that I'm started, I'll be gun junkie for life.

Nice. Looks like fun to shoot. Post some targets up after you take it to the range.

Hell yeah man that's a good looking weapon

Now take some time and learn to break that puppy down and clean it for the future, then get out there and shoot the shit outta that thing!

Get a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. Both are around the same price, are of reasonable quality and have a ton of aftermarket parts(although the 870 has more) so you can customize it how you want.

Although I agree that the .22 isn't a good home defense weapon, I don't like to see gun supporters resort to the "beserking PCP addict" argument. It simply isn't realistic.

You are far more likely to encounter someone under the influence of alcohol:

Alcohol, Violence, and Aggression

I still think the best thing to learn to shoot on is a trainer .22.

I agree with you. It doesn't matter if a person is sober or not, it's not that easy to kill or stop an attacker with any caliber.

Check out this story:
Officer Down - The Peter Soulis Incident
Summary: Cop gets in gunfight with criminal. Hits the criminal a total of 22 times with .40, 17 of those shots center mass. Criminal still lived for over 4 minutes after gunfight was over. Had nothing in his system but a small amount of alcohol.

22lr is great for fun, learning to shoot, practice, shooting cheaply, etc. But I would consider it almost worthless for home defense. I would probably grab a non firearm weapon well before picking up a .22 in a home invasion.

All this talk about "stopping power" has got me really surprised. My father owned a .22 pistol when I was a teenager. I think that he got it because something happened at the garage that he owned, or because the neighborhood there was getting REALLY shady. The gun looked something like this
22jpg.jpg

except it wasn't as nice, it was probably a bit smaller, and it was silver. He wore it in an ankle holster every day, and always locked it in a strongbox when he got home.
I wonder if that gun would have been effective if something would have gone down at his place of business? I wonder if he just thought that a gun was a gun and it would keep him and his garage safe just because it was a gun?
The alcohol and violence stuff is interesting, and that doesn't even mention things like crystal and crack.
I don't know...I wouldn't want to get hit by a bullet from any gun, even if I was fucked up. That's why I keep myself out of those situations.

I'm not 100% on these but I'm pretty damn certain:

95% of people posting in this thread don't own a firearm.

65% of people posting in this thread have never shot a firearm.

100% certain you should be asking this somewhere else besides Sherdog's P&M forum.

You generally want to shoot a gun before you buy it. Good place to try is go to ar15.com and go to their "hometown" forum and ask if anybody has the firearm(s) you want to shoot. A lot of the times somebody will have one and make deals like "you buy ammo, ill bring the guns." You'll gain a lot more knowledge there than here.

For home defense you can't go wrong with the rem 870 or the mossberg. I'm a mossberg man myself but they are both good guns. That being said, you probably won't shoot it that much. There is only so many times you'll shoot a close target and just spray it before you're ready to move on to something else. Pistols and rifles are much more enjoyable for target shooting and if you're wanting to do something like sporting clays you won't have the right shotgun. You can buy longer barrels from both makers if you did want to shoot clays but its only a stop gap before you need a real clay shooting shotgun. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the "holier than thou" spiel jackass.

I couldn't disagree more about the judge. .410 shotshells are not very effective for self defense. Apparently the judge is terribly inaccurate with slugs or .45 long colt past a few feet and the ballistics for .410 buck shot is not something you want to risk your life on, because it might not necessarily kill what you shoot and you should only shoot someone breaking into your house if you have to kill them.

I do agree about the AR or Ak, both of those are more than you need for home defense, although any round powerful enough to effectively stop an attacker will run the risk of over penetration.

The buckshot's grouping is terrible. I saw a video on youtube and the damn thing went all over the place at 10 yards.

for home protection I suggest you also look at the Taurus Judge

Every review out there says its a POS for self defense and nothing else than a snake gun.

Last edited:
Have you fired it yet, igordog? Have you fired any type of firearm before?

Igordog, don't worry about people calling your gun a POS. As you acquire more money and guns you can afford to beome a gun snob.

Certainly the NEF is, in general, not as good a gun as the Remington or Mossy but it is a good gun for its intended purpose, home defense. It doesn't need to be super accurate to hit geese 60 yards out and it doesn't need to have a lot of bells or whistles or recoil reduction. The only thing it really needs to do is be reliable when you pull the trigger. A pump action is one of the more reliable types of actions out there. If you have trouble cycling the action for some reason when you practice with it, then you have a concern. I doubt that will happen. I also doubt you will wear the gun out. Nobody "wears out" guns through use (through neglect yes) unless they are putting tens of thousands of rounds through them.

More important than the gun, is that you are familiar with the gun, can mainipulate it efficiently under stress and can keep it both SAFE and ACCESSIBLE.

Have fun.

congrats on the new gun...have fun...and dont be a fuckin dumbass w/ it

95% of people posting in this thread don't own a firearm.
95%? I know that I own many, that wouldn't leave much room for others, considering we're like 20 different posters.

100% certain you should be asking this somewhere else besides Sherdog's P&M forum.

I've seen educated gun discussions on Sherdog before. Sure, there are always these video game kids claiming that they own these $4000 "tacticool" guns but even on the firearms forums they are there.

It's not because we are here that we can't be elsewhere as well. I'm active on 3 different gun forums and I'm active here too, and I'm not alone.

Get off your high horse next time you want to post about something like this.

noob question
how much of a difference is there between a .22lr and a .223 round
ive heard someone say before a .223 is basically a .22 with some extra oomf but it seems alot bigger to me

Back