Thoughts on adding email address and mobile number to logins

GSP_37

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
My natural instinct is I don't want more email or cell call/text spam, so I don't really give out this info, especially mobile #.

I had a credit card stolen in mail transit and the bad actor created online logins and put in his email address. I don't recall seeing an email saying I changed my email address in the login. Even if I did, I may have assumed that email was malware or something. I was able to take back the login, that I don't recall creating, but had a hard time putting my own email address in the login because the website wanted to verify I'm me by sending me a code to landline and mobile number was blank. If landline was disconnected, I'd be screwed. After editing my email address, it said it would verify by sending an email to both new and old email addresses, so bad guy knows I took the account back and might try to say it was a fraudulent email address change.

In another login, I had two factor authentication already setup via two separate email addresses, but when it came time to go thru all these extra steps to reactivate a stale account, even after entering codes from two factor emails, it insisted on a mobile number to be given, which doesn't make any sense because I never gave them one to begin with and any bad guy could then just give them their mobile number to receive a text code. I just abandoned that account.

I ordered something online and ever since every single day I get multiple emails from them and affiliated sellers. I should try to see about turning that off, but I want to know about sales.

Do you guys give your mobile number freely in logins?

I only give uppercuts. Me don't know these other thing you say

I don't know what any of that means but thx nerd

30rock-alec-baldwin.gif

I had a credit card stolen in mail transit and the bad actor created online logins and put in his email address.
2 factor authentication makes it harder for identity thieves to compromise your bank account and credit card.

Yeah, I do and fvcking Google knows all my shite

You can also set up alerts when your credit card is being used

We're Sherfam, anyone jackin' our log-in would catch severe consequences.

At some point very soon the 'net will go down, and when it eventually comes back things will be very different than how it is today.
No more anonymity for anyone. We will be told it's for the safety of kids online, like in the UK with their Online Safety Bill. Obviously, it will really be about total surveillance and control, and most people will believe this and lap it up.

You can also set up alerts when your credit card is being used
After I took back my login, and looked at the settings and alerts were turned off. In the past when I'd order from Japan online, they'd text me asking if legit and I'd text back to allow the charge. Haven't had those texts in quite a while because ID thief turned it off. They probably have some dark web step by step guide.

Yeah, I do and fvcking Google knows all my shite

Sooner or later they'll have an oopsie and post all your personal and financial info online. That shit's happened before with other sites.

I also enabled credit freezes where I think they stay frozen until you turn them off.

Your instincts are correct. 2FA, starting from its' first implementation by Facebook in 2014, has never been about protecting an account. The goal is to get your phone number, which is directly tied to your real world identity. In order for all the data that Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc, gathers on you to be valuable, it has to be tied to an identity. These companies insist on 2FA being done with a mobile phone specifically because they can use the IMEI of the device to make sure it's your real world identity with near 100% guarantee. They can then use this for cross-device tracking because each device you log in on is then tied back to the IMEI of the mobile phone and thus your identity. From that point on, they know all the activity done on those tablets, phones and computers are done by you. Thus Big Tech can track your political and religious beliefs, social circles, level of gullibility, etc, and manipulate what you see. In other words, 2FA is something akin to "Show me your papers."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back