Thoughts on Ben Askren/Lawler.

What the hell are you talking about? Lose the first round? He won it in the first round! And what does Woodley have to do with this?
Sorry I meant Askren when I said Woodley. My broader point was that Askren was losing until he slapped on the bulldog choke. Did Lawler go out for a second? Maybe, I don't know, but when Herb stopped the fight Lawler was clearly present and not in danger. That's all my point was, that it was a great round and great match that was robbed because of a bad referee stoppage. I'm fully aware that Askren could've gone on to win in a more impressive fashion; sadly we'll never know unless we get a rematch.

Askren didn't lose the first round because the first round never ended. Despite the beating he took in the initial minute, it was possible even without the fight ending with that choke that he would have transitioned to a top position and possible he would have dominated on the ground. Or Lawler could have gotten out and KOd Ben on the feet. Either way I don't think it's fair to say Askren lost that round. If anything the momentum was shifting in his favor
You're right, what I meant was that he was losing the fight until the bulldog choke. He got his ass completely beat until then. Agree that if the fight wasn't stopped he could've transitioned into a better position and stopped Lawler then. Sadly we'll never know because Herb had a bad stoppage. Did Lawler go out for a second in the bulldog choke? I don't know, maybe, Lawler says he didn't and he's not usually one to fabricate so I tend to take him at his word. Bulldog chokes aren't typically very effective outside the women's division, and Lawler's strategy to just let Askren wear his arms out was sound.

I'm not taking anything away from Askren, he survived and turned around in a fight where he got slammed and GnPed like a mother fucker, that is true heart and grit and goddamn impressive, but the way the fight ended was not convincing, it was a bad stoppage. Imagine how much better the fight would've been if Askren strangled lawler or took an arm and it was not controversial at all? A rematch is in both fighters interest, for Lawler to avenge a bad stoppage, and for Askren to wash away the asterisk over this victory.

he got up and completely controlled lawler along the fence. Lawler had no answer. "Queer street" or not lawler gave him his best and ben still shook it off and proceeded to dominate him. Hope there's a rematch and we'll see if you lawler fanboys put your money where your mouth is.
Uh after the slam Lawler Gnped him for a solid amount of time. Askren holding Lawler up against the fence as his brains return is not exactly what I'd call dominating but whatever wrestling is so biased in the scoring of an MMA match I guess at least it's consistent.

I hope there is a rematch and I'm glad you agree. I'm not really a Lawler fanboy, what I saw was a great match in the making that was stopped by a bad call. Herb's bad decision robbed Lawler of potential victory and robbed Askren of an uncontroversial victory in a match where he faced amazing adversity.

Terrible stoppage. Rematch.

That's whats going to happen wether Ben likes it or not.

Doesnt a “deep” choke have to be under the chin to even qualify as deep? Or all chokes now across the jawline define a deep choke?

When somebodys getting neck-cranked, a move that offers mainly pain, you let the guy tap to it.

Back