Thoughts on Henderson vs. Melendez?

Scott Lawlor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1016.jpg
Gilbert_Melendez.jpg

Now that Nate Diaz lost, Gilbert Melendez won't need to drop to 145.

It seems as though the Cerrone/Pettis fight is the #1 contender fight but this fight has the potential to be made at some point. Melendez could get an immediate title shot to set up a Champion vs. Champion fight but mostly likely he'll need one solid win against at top guy to get a shot. Either way, the possibility of this fight is interesting. I really like Melendez, he's a well-rounded fighter and entertaining but I've always felt he was overrated when people say he's one of the top 3 in the world. I don't think he'd beat Henderson, It'd probably be a good fight but end in a 50-45 for Henderson.

Comments?​

Benson's just a bigger, stronger, faster version of him, and has the same motor/stamina, and same, maybe even more scrappiness.

I just don't see this ending well for Melendez.

I think it'll be a good fight. Melendez is a completely different fighter than Diaz.

Here is a point for you! They talk about GSP not being able to finish but Henderson is as bad if not worse!
Why on earth is BJ not fighting at 155lbs? He is going to get nowhere at WW!

I think it'll be a good fight. Melendez is a completely different fighter than Diaz.

Yeah he is, more diverse striking and noticeably better wrestling but Henderson is both the better striker & wrestler. Melendez wouldn't get destroyed but Henderson would out-work him and be the better fighter no matter where the fight went.

Prefer the winner of Pettis/Cerrone.

Pettis has beaten Bendo, and I personally thought Cerrone did during Cerrone/Bendo I.

Either way, Pettis/Cerrone's going to be fight of the yeeeeeaaaaar!

If Rory MacDonald can't finish BJ then BJ has a lot of potential in 155lbs.

Melendez will outwork him on the ground imo.

i got gil by UD. hopefully this is bendo's next fight.

I think Gil is one of the best lightweights we have right now, maybe the best. I guess you have to rank Ben above him based off of his wins or whatever but Gilbert is fantastic. Overrated, underrated, I don't care; he's fantastic. Ben is great too, he's becoming a monster so I'd love to see that fight. Had it happened a few years ago, I think Gil would smash him but I don't know who would win today.

I think Gil is one of the best lightweights we have right now, maybe the best. I guess you have to rank Ben above him based off of his wins or whatever but Gilbert is fantastic. Overrated, underrated, I don't care; he's fantastic. Ben is great too, he's becoming a monster so I'd love to see that fight. Had it happened a few years ago, I think Gil would smash him but I don't know who would win today.

im guessing u rated nate better than bendo befor the fight?

Gil's striking is better than Nate's is, and Nate's BJJ is better than Gil's.

Both don't mean shit when Bendo's gonna steam roll you. I'd love for Gil to come over for that fight, but I get the feeling Nick and Jake could cut down to 155 and Bendo would do the same thing to them too.

Only thing gil has going for him is that the judges love him. I thought he lost his last two fights, and those were to guys most people have never heard of.

Only thing gil has going for him is that the judges love him. I thought he lost his last two fights, and those were to guys most people have never heard of.

1. if you've never heard of thomson or masvidal, you probably don't know shit about mma.

2. lmao @ masvidal winning that fight.

thomson, there's an argument there, but in all honestly i don't see how under round by round scoring anyone could score that fight for thomson. gil won the first 3, closely but clearly. while thomson won the last 2 more decisively. if the fight was scored as a whole i'd def. give it to thomson.

If Melendez hopes to have a chance they have to bring in a high level wrestler to train with. Striking and BJJ is great to have but if the guy you face is strong and has endurance you better be ready for a tug of war battle.

Prefer the winner of Pettis/Cerrone.

Pettis has beaten Bendo, and I personally thought Cerrone did during Cerrone/Bendo I.

Either way, Pettis/Cerrone's going to be fight of the yeeeeeaaaaar!

should be a great fight, cant see cerrone winning though i think pettis's stand up is at a higher level than cerrone, off the top of my head pettis has never looked like the loser of a fight while its standing in his whole career i cant think of 1 fight where he has been out-struck.

Back