Thoughts on Priit Mihkelson's system?

Does the guy roll the same way with lower belts or is he just using the defensive style to survive against higher belts? As a purple with a wrestling and Judo background, I have a reputation at my gym of being "hard to submit." I've been adopting a more defensive style lately because I've been rolling with a lot of younger, heavier higher belts and 3 of the 4 browns I usually roll with (all younger and heavier) beat my ass when they're trying to put it on. Against them I usually try to achieve top position and attempt offense without getting swept for as long as I can. But I invariably overcommit, get swept and then I'm playing defensively trying to survive and struggling to disengage to get back to my feet or back on top. Against lower belts I don't have this issue because I can usually stay on offense for most of the roll if I want to.

I couldn't say really, as I don't really watch people roll all that often. If I'm sitting out a round, which I don't generally do if I can help it, I'll get a drink or go to the loo. I'm a black belt and he's a purple, so there is that, but most purples put more effort into escaping not just defending. What I get rolling with him is that his goal is to not let me advance position and not get submitted, rather than to escape.

I couldn't say really, as I don't really watch people roll all that often. If I'm sitting out a round, which I don't generally do if I can help it, I'll get a drink or go to the loo. I'm a black belt and he's a purple, so there is that, but most purples put more effort into escaping not just defending. What I get rolling with him is that his goal is to not let me advance position and not get submitted, rather than to escape.

Yeah that would be frustrating. Maybe you just have crushing top control between your Judo and BJJ BBs but the dude should at least be attempting to escape or sweep unless he's totally gassed out. But I guess people's games are different and match up differently depending on the rolling partner.

Never seen much of Priit's stuff, but I hear a lot about it. How is he well known and popular? Not rally a competitor as far as I know nor does behave any skilled students. What's his background and lineage? How did he get so known for his system? He is labeled as a "defensive expert" but with a title like that, sounds lame especially if just in gym rolls.

Never seen much of Priit's stuff, but I hear a lot about it. How is he well known and popular? Not rally a competitor as far as I know nor does behave any skilled students. What's his background and lineage? How did he get so known for his system? He is labeled as a "defensive expert" but with a title like that, sounds lame especially if just in gym rolls.

I'm not sure if 'well know and popular' is the right phrase to use. Maybe more of a 'yeah ive heard that name before' kind of deal.

I think that newer video looks better than his old one. I think maybe he got some good details when it comes submission defense.

Unlike Telles, and grapplers with a wrestling background I think he lacks the offensive techniques in turtle. He only displayed the far elbow roll(forgot the american name for it) in this video. I still see a lot of openings for wrestling moves that can be used to set up submissions.

I think that newer video looks better than his old one. I think maybe he got some good details when it comes submission defense.

Unlike Telles, and grapplers with a wrestling background I think he lacks the offensive techniques in turtle. He only displayed the far elbow roll(forgot the american name for it) in this video. I still see a lot of openings for wrestling moves that can be used to set up submissions.

Fat man roll?

As an old judo player I use a fair amount of turtle in my bjj, but beyond the fat man roll I incorporate a lot of sit outs / granby rolls as well as wrestling up into low singles from my turtle.

If you are just a hobbyist I rather go for an escape an get subbed then just played turkey and have my back taken the whole time.

No offense but rolling with people who just shell up the whole time is almost a waste of a round

If you are just a hobbyist I rather go for an escape an get subbed then just played turkey and have my back taken the whole time.

No offense but rolling with people who just shell up the whole time is almost a waste of a round

No one at my gym does this, but dudes who just pull turtle and stay there would be frustrating as hell. But that said, I think turtle can still be part of a balanced breakfast especially as you age. One thing some younger guys may not appreciate is speed and gastank going down even if you're very fit for your age. I used to have a go for broke scrambling style when I was younger and often got told to tone it down rolling with BJJ guys. But now as an old AF late 40's guy, I find myself more often on defense against the bigger, younger, stronger and more skilled beasts at my (MMA) gym.

It's all good if I can stay on top on offense, putting my sweaty nuts in they face and fishing for a sub. But if they're big and good enough to do that to me, I'm just trying to survive until I can GTFO and stand up or get back on top. And I can't keep exploding into sit outs or scrambles like I used to. If I explode once or twice and get stuffed, I'm flattened out in side control gassed out and double fucked.

Against other purples at my gym, we often cancel each other out with a lot of movement and swapping positions back and forth. But the only guys who have accused me of being too defensive are two younger, heavier browns I often roll with. I'm like MFer, I'm trying to escape or sweep but you're keeping me on defense and stuffing all my attempts. I know you're good enough to shut me down but you need to let me work if you want to keep the roll moving.

Last edited:
Back