Throwing hooks

DoCtOrWhO

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
The other day I was working pads with a new guy I have never seen before. Combo is jab, cross, hook, then body shot.

These are 5 minute rounds and he stops me 2 combos in to tell you don't throw a hook with the heel of your hand and that i should never wind it up, and lastly that i am going to fast for him.

All that aside. How are you guys throwing hooks? He thinks its of the glove (knuckle portion) hooked right into the chin. Whereas my natural instinct is to smash it into your cheek like a clothesline with bottom portion of the glove. (Mike tyson threw them like this)

It generates more power and in the midst of a combo it at least breaks down the defense to get a body shot and retreat back to reset.

Which person has it wrong? Me or him. I dont like his advice to begin with since he talks all through his pad portion then goes snail slow when its his turn for combos.

I've always been trained to hit with the knuckles when throwing a hook at various, mma, muay thai and boxing gyms.

Technically, he is right. You can do what you want during sparring/competition, but you should practice the fundamental correct way, especially during partner drills. If you try it your way on the bag you will hurt yourself. Also, you shouldn't go all out during drills-- regular speed so that the other guy can learn as well as yourself (it's not just for you).

Learn to throw without winding up-- that's called telegraphing and you'll get countered hard by someone who's good when you do it. Learn to use your legs and shift your weight, etc. to generate power instead of having to wind up with your arm. It works much better when you become proficient at it.

I get where you're coming from. You found something that works for you and that's good. You can still use it plenty when it's your time and not during 2 person drills.

The other day I was working pads with a new guy I have never seen before. Combo is jab, cross, hook, then body shot.

These are 5 minute rounds and he stops me 2 combos in to tell you don't throw a hook with the heel of your hand and that i should never wind it up, and lastly that i am going to fast for him.

All that aside. How are you guys throwing hooks? He thinks its of the glove (knuckle portion) hooked right into the chin. Whereas my natural instinct is to smash it into your cheek like a clothesline with bottom portion of the glove. (Mike tyson threw them like this)

It generates more power and in the midst of a combo it at least breaks down the defense to get a body shot and retreat back to reset.

Which person has it wrong? Me or him. I dont like his advice to begin with since he talks all through his pad portion then goes snail slow when its his turn for combos.

So...you're slapping the mitt? Yeah, that's not how I've ever seen anyone teach a hook. I'm also pretty sure that Tyson hit people primarily with his knuckles just like any other fighter. I've watched a lot of tape on him and I've never noted that he hit with the sole of his glove. In general too you don't want to 'wind up', you will shift slightly to your left before throwing a left hook, but your hand shouldn't change position and if you're in the middle of a combo throwing the hook it shouldn't require a windup since presumably you're already loaded on your left side from your cross. Your hooks should follow a very tight arc, not be a big looping motion. Don't know about the speed thing (you should generally throw as fast as you can with good technique), but on the rest I'd say he's at least more right than you.

"Never be deaf to other people's knowledge"

"Never be deaf to other people's knowledge"
But but but it's a "new" guy.

Back to TS, that's how you're suppose to throw all punches, not just hooks. Never wind up, always hit with first 2 knuckles.

Thanks bruvs. I do hit the heavy bag with a slap (heavy thud) and hasnt hurt my hand in over a year.

Its not so much hes a new guy it was he basically didnt want to hold pads. My turn to hold he went slower than a snail and was winding all his punches. When I go to strike he wants to discuss technique. When i called him out on it to get to the point he just goes on about some ufc nobody and how he does it.

Lesson learned not to partner with him. The gym has about 20 mauy thai fighters. He wasnt there last night or tonight. Seen him at jits once and never again. He has to be about 18-22.

My normal training partner is injured so im trying out new people.

Back