"Thud" of a punch

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
what is the difference between a snap and a thud? What's so different how guys like GGG and Roberto Duran body work differ from others? It always seems like the "thud" or digging punches (not push) HURT more than say a snapping punch.... Why and how is this so?

Also, everyone talks about "digging" a body shot, can you do the same to the head? Adding To the list of names is Canelo, especially his hooks (to the head) I feel he really adds a "thud" in there. Doesn't recoil as fast.

I try to imagine the bones in my arm are like that rod.

The science of it is like dropping a stack of bricks. One compression wave is going to travel up from the ground. That's the normal force from the ground stopping the bricks momentum. The top brick doesn't give up any of its energy until that wave reaches it. Then it sends it's own wave back down through the stack.

If you can create a lot of force, but that forces pushes you back, and you bounce off then you didn't get everything out of it that you could have. You can kinda hide this by falling into your punches, but to be quick and hide your power you have to learn to brace against the ground.

I built a makiwara in my back yard because I thought it would be cool. But with a makiwara you really need to jam yourself under your punches. It doesn't matter how hard you hit, or how much you fall forward, with a makiwara you will always bounce off if your feet aren't dug in.

Last edited:
Are you asking about the mechanics of the punch, or the effects of the punch?

sounds like your talking about the types of snaps in punches,like the ones im talking about here with Brad scott

The way it was explained to me is that you want snapping punches to the head because the snap quickly disrupts the brain's equilibrium which causes it to shut off to protect itself (resulting in loss of consciousness). A body shot you want to stab in (I think this is the same as "digging" it in?) allowing for a full transfer of energy into your target. Hence why a digging shot feels like it hurts more.

Back