Tiago Camilo (Judo) riding Demian Maia

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I stole this from BJJground. I don't know what the deal is, maybe Maia was coming off a hard training session or maybe he's taking it easy on Camilo, but Camilo looks pretty damn formidable in this clip.

Also, someone posted this clip of a drop uchi mata and I have never seen this before, but I can see this going into my game really easily. Camilo seems to do this a few times against Maia.

I do that move alot. It's in response to half guard underhook reversal (whatever it's called in BJJ). Not really a go-to move but salvaging a situation.

For folks with good neutral game fundamentals you can often use a whizzer to keep a guy on his hip indefinitely by using the same throwing motion.

It was part of prep for an MMA fight Maia has lined up.

He said this afterwards (taken from Gracie mag) “Truth is, it was really quick; we’d lifted some weights at the gym and decided to roll. Which was great, since he has excellent base and I had a hard time getting the sweep,” recounted Demian. “And it was even better because I was coming off a strength workout and was tired, so I could get a sense of what his strength was like, since the strength of judokas, wrestlers and Jiu-Jitsu players all feel different. The direction and feel his strength had, perhaps from the angle he’d hold each position, were really different; so it was cool to realize that.

This rolling session is among the my favourites ever. Love the balance of Tiago Camilo and his way to counter; it also illustrates really well the relentless style of Demian's half guard/single combo.

It was part of prep for an MMA fight Maia has lined up.

He said this afterwards (taken from Gracie mag) “Truth is, it was really quick; we’d lifted some weights at the gym and decided to roll. Which was great, since he has excellent base and I had a hard time getting the sweep,” recounted Demian. “And it was even better because I was coming off a strength workout and was tired, so I could get a sense of what his strength was like, since the strength of judokas, wrestlers and Jiu-Jitsu players all feel different. The direction and feel his strength had, perhaps from the angle he’d hold each position, were really different; so it was cool to realize that.

Cliffs: He's strong!

1ivnep.jpg

Brazilians have a lot of ego, most of them, my Muay Thai coach from Camboriú told me Camilo said he could have submitted Maia if he wanted to but didn´t want to leave him bad in front of others. Of course it wa a cool roll but many don´t see it that way.

Back