Tight hamstrings

Was Exiled

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Yeah so I've come to the conclusion that my hamstrings are tight as hell, I noticed today after watching myself squat that I suffer from pretty bad buttwink (always thought the arch was kept until I looked myself). It also prevents me from deadlifting properly (lower back rounds just before I can grip the bar) so I'm cutting out deads until I can fix this issue. I started doing Joe DeFranco's limber 11 again this week but want to add in some extra stretches for hamstrings, suggestions?

was thinking of this - (go to 2.16)

maybe you have weak glutes or bad hips?

I have the same problem, never caused me discomfort and i squatted 425 x 3 and deadlifted 440 x 3 last week.

If its causing a power leak then im actually interested in fixing it.

maybe you have weak glutes or bad hips?

Well I do have bad hips/groin, had to stop Thai Boxing when I was younger because it was hurting. I also have snapping hip syndrome but it's pretty benign

Reading another thread, I saw ankle flexibility mentioned. I looked up a test for it and sure enough I have a stiff achilles. I did the movement for deadlifting a couple times and there is a LOT of stiffness there, my heels really want to come off the ground. I actually think on second thought that it's my ankles that are the main culprit (even though my lower body is a fucking mess flexibility wise)

No magic other than doing limber 11 like it is your religion.
Stretching just sucks because there is no such thing as an off day. Just have to suck it up and do it.

for ankles my fav stretch is just standing and rocking around on a bosu ball. Nothing else quite does it for my bad ankles.

Stretching just sucks because there is no such thing as an off day. Just have to suck it up and do it.

for ankles my fav stretch is just standing and rocking around on a bosu ball. Nothing else quite does it for my bad ankles.

Standing on the bosu ball? shit man I aint no gymnast

I thought I was the only one in f13 that advocated bosu ball work?

I have the same problem, never caused me discomfort and i squatted 425 x 3 and deadlifted 440 x 3 last week.

If its causing a power leak then im actually interested in fixing it.

It does add unnecessary work, to get to parallel the bar travels farther when the spine flexes than if the pelvis stays tilted anteriorly. Why do extra work if you don't have to?

Don't drop deads. Do mobility work until you can hit the positioning you want on that day. If you can't get all the way there, then do them off the lowest pin or blocks you can manage with proper positioning.

Also, am I the only one that thinks doing all of limber 11 is unnecessary? Why not figure out which one or two you need to hit the positions you need, do them and get into your workout 10/15 minutes sooner. For example, on sumo pulls I have trouble opening up my hips enough. So I would do one exercise to open up my hips, then go back to a bar and see what my positioning is like. If it was good, I'd add weight. If not, I'd do a few more sets and re-evalutate, or try another and repeat the process. I think you'll quickly find a small amount of work specific to you will serve you very well.

Romanian Deadlifts and lunges. Your hammies and glutes are probably both tight and weak.

Tight hip flexors in the front can also contribute to this problem.

"...basically, what this is caused from is having tight hamstrings, especially in the glute-hamstring tie-in area..."

No.

Obvious answer is mobility work, but there is also a reason your hamstrings/calves are tight (e.g. Compensating for weak glutes, resisting the pull from over active hip flexors or quads, or trying to make up for an inhibited core. The brain will find stability from somewhere). Find out the original cause with the help of a good sports pt and you will see much more rapid results!

Go get a sport massage. A few sessions on the flutes should sort that out

I don't know what's in the current routine you have, but these things called "Spider Mans" are frankly the shit. You can put way more weight on the stretch and don't have to lie down to perform it compared to lying on your back and hugging one knee at a time.
Here's a decent example:
hqdefault.jpg

Back