News Tim Hague Becomes the second MMA fighter officially diagnosed with CTE

I would argue for most office workers the analogy does hold up since they don't exercise at all and eat like shit. The entire population here in the US is walking around with chronic conditions. Yes some folks take care of themselves so it's not as simple as saying "All Office workers" isn't totally accurate.

But in the end we all make our choices and all of us deal with the fall out. I prefer the fallout from what I deal with.

Except the office worker can eat healthy and exercise and truly lessen the negative effects. No matter how smart the fighter trains, no matter how healthy they eat, no matter how little they cut weight, in the end they are still going to be punched in the head repeatedly.

Your analogy doesn’t hold up

I am fully aware he died. The fact that he was diagnosed with CTE was released TODAY.

Obviously he had CTE bro, he fucking DIED right after a fight LOL (not laughing at him dying, just the cte thing)

The more I hear of this, especially with Jordan parsons who had relatively little MMA experience, makes me fear for the likes of Justin gaethje and others.

Chris Benoit was said to have severe cte. He ultimately ended up murdering his family and then killing himself. Same thing with Aaron Hernandez who was convicted of multiple murders and then commit suicide in jail.

Hopefully we can find ways to limit and manage the effects of cte on these athletes. It’s a scary thing.
Don't blame CTE on Hernandez or Benoit.

99%+ of people that have CTE don't kill anyone.

Yeah, getting punched in the face or dropped on your ass by a roided up 250lb man repeatedly is bad for you. The idea that we apparently didnt know this until a few years ago is ridiculous. The whole CTE push seems very money and agenda driven. If the potential dangers of a sport outweigh the positives for you - dont do it. Nobody is forcing anyone.

UFC wont survie more than 10 years.

Combat sports in general wont survive more than 30 years.

Its just a matter of time.

UFC wont survie more than 10 years.

Combat sports in general wont survive more than 30 years.

Its just a matter of time.

Martial arts exists for thousands of years.
Surely it will survive 'murican' complaining.
'oh no punching someone in the face isnt good for the brains'...
1 (67).gif

Wand, Frankie, Max, Reem, Chuck, Bj, Diego come to my mind. They are fucked.

Article by BloodyElbow here

Of his 13 professional MMA losses, 8 came via knockout. 2 of 3 of his boxing losses ended via knockout, with the final loss in 2017 resulting in his death due to severe hemorrhaging.

Most athletes do not get diagnosed with CTE until an autopsy is performed. However, many fighters currently with us have exhibited some of the signs of CTE, so we know that the number of diagnoses can only be expected to rise.

Thoughts? Obviously getting knocked out is a reality in this game, but certainly we need to see a culture change among training at the very least if we are going to minimize the damage these fighters take over their careers.
fighters should do less hard sparring (i think most already do), and quit mma earlier when they start going on a losing streak where they get KO'ed time after time.
the worst losses are usually at the end of a fighters career, unfortunately many go on too long, that's the main problem.
maybe UFC should make a routine of cutting fighters after they've been KOed 2-3 times in a row?

Shame he never got to cash those sweet Reebok cheques,

Totally worth the brain damage and loss of life for some shitty Reebok merch and discount codes.

Except the office worker can eat healthy and exercise and truly lessen the negative effects. No matter how smart the fighter trains, no matter how healthy they eat, no matter how little they cut weight, in the end they are still going to be punched in the head repeatedly.

Your analogy doesn’t hold up

"Yes some folks take care of themselves so it's not as simple as saying "All Office workers" isn't totally accurate."

Some people on this site need to work on reading comprehension.

The more I hear of this, especially with Jordan parsons who had relatively little MMA experience, makes me fear for the likes of Justin gaethje and others.

Chris Benoit was said to have severe cte. He ultimately ended up murdering his family and then killing himself. Same thing with Aaron Hernandez who was convicted of multiple murders and then commit suicide in jail.

Hopefully we can find ways to limit and manage the effects of cte on these athletes. It’s a scary thing.

Same here. Justin is one of my favorite fighters right now, but I fear for his future.

Oh come on. It's the second time you've brought it up in this one thread. You didn't really mean it as a self-deprecating comment. Look how upset you are now.

Go back and read your comments and tell me that you weren't trying to come across as "hard"
Oh my God. I brought up the fact I fight in a fighting forum. Clearly there is no other reason to do that than to act hard. It's impossible that my experience and opinion is relevant to the topic in any way.

I do agree with the gist of what you're saying here, but I disagree with your assessment that every fighter has it. That just isn't true - there are fighters who have never been knocked out in a bout and train intelligently, limiting their hard sparring. It seems unlikely those folks have CTE.

I agree it will not deter fighters.
I agree with the TS. There are published studies that show CTE in high school football and soccer players with no diagnosed concussions. There are also studies that show that it doesn’t take brutal knockouts to get CTE. “Repeated, subconcussive blows” will cause it.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/1/...ain-trauma-science-health-news?_gl=1*10627k2*

Youth soccer has already limited the amount of headers children are allowed to do per practice to 15-20 per WEEK. They’ve done studies to arrive at the threshold for tackling in football and the numbers show that a run of the mill tackle falls into the category of a subconssive blow. The repeated subconcussive blows of sparring will cause CTE. It does not have to be “hard sparring.” So long as you are receiving repeated subconcussive blows, you are at risk. The brain is just not made for this type of trauma. Not everyone gets it to the same extent but the numbers say it’s an inevitability. Jordan parsons had it with only one TKO loss and no diagnosed concussions.

Article by BloodyElbow here

Of his 13 professional MMA losses, 8 came via knockout. 2 of 3 of his boxing losses ended via knockout, with the final loss in 2017 resulting in his death due to severe hemorrhaging.

Most athletes do not get diagnosed with CTE until an autopsy is performed. However, many fighters currently with us have exhibited some of the signs of CTE, so we know that the number of diagnoses can only be expected to rise.

Thoughts? Obviously getting knocked out is a reality in this game, but certainly we need to see a culture change among training at the very least if we are going to minimize the damage these fighters take over their careers.

Died a couple of years ago.

Back