Time Flies

SakurabasEar

Deus Magnus Est
Banned
Reaction score
Today is my 30th birthday. Is this all some kind of sick game?

It's feels like yesterday I was a young lion, fast and powerful. I was the best Pokemon TCG player at my local synagogue. I could live off of ramen and rockstars for weeks. My kimura was unbreakable.

Now as a married man with kids I am slightly more powerful but hardly fast. My day consists of ordering around grown men. I'm slightly more cynical and protective, and I feel like I've lost a bit of faith in people. This is not to say I can't trust anyone, Its just that usually everyone needs something from me. And at this point my phone notifications induce a bit of anxiety.

I ran over a squirrel yesterday, and felt nothing. I only feel truly alive when someone is getting koed or submitted on my TV.

I realize I should be more positive, and I'm thankful for the good things of course. But damn, time is a thief. If I could go back and talk to younger SakurabasEar, I would have told him to take more chances I think

Did any of you feel this way at 30? Am I overthinking this sherbrohams

Happy birthday brother. May you and your family be well and healthy.

I am only in my 20s and already feel very cynical and untrusting towards human in general hahaha.

That's a lot of rambling for letting us know it's your birthday.

Happy birthday sherbro! 30 is still young. Treasure the days when your body doesn't hurt from sneezing too hard.

<GinJuice>

I ran over a squirrel yesterday, and felt nothing. I only feel truly alive when someone is getting koed or submitted on my TV.

Your midlife crisis might be turning into a serial killer

Congrats on another successful year of not being dead sherbro.

Feeling cynical and losing faith in people is just a byproduct of the internet. Never before have we had such open, visual evidence of what fucked up, selfish assholes most people actually are - now it's just all out on display for everyone to see.

It used to take till people were old enough to have seen evidence of this over many decades before they fully reached their "grumpy old man" stage. Now the whole timeframe to reach this conclusion has just massively decreased.

Not quite sure why you felt the need to add the odd anecdote about the squirrel though...

Last edited:
Welcome to your 30's TS,

Watch out for 33...that's when it hits you like a bat.

Happy bday, Sherbro!

30s is still young for marriage and kids for men in this modern age. If you have a managerial role, (granted it isn't Burger King or something) you seem to be doing pretty well.

Yes, time goes by fast. I remember the end of my 20s flying by super fast! It doesn't seem like it but you look back and realize you're not one of the young bucks anymore! You have no idea when tf it happened. When the little kid in your family is now 6'4 with a deep ass voice.

The day is long but the year is short!

I always understood this concept and always had a subconscious fire under my ass not to waste any time!!!

With that said, it may not seem like it, but 30s is still young. As you get older you realize some of these ages that you considered ancient still seem like babies. But just make sure you make the most out of it. Be productive but also have fun.

Today is my birthday also. I'm 38 today. You are overthinking it. Enjoy every moment!

I'm going to ride dirtbike with my wife today. Enjoy your birthday also!

Happy bday, Sherbro!

30s is still young for marriage and kids for men in this modern age. If you have a managerial role, (granted it isn't Burger King or something) you seem to be doing pretty well.

Yes, time goes by fast. I remember the end of my 20s flying by super fast! It doesn't seem like it but you look back and realize you're not one of the young bucks anymore! You have no idea when tf it happened. When the little kid in your family is now 6'4 with a deep ass voice.

The day is long but the year is short!

I always understood this concept and always had a subconscious fire under my ass not to waste any time!!!

With that said, it may not seem like it, but 30s is still young. As you get older you realize some of these ages that you considered ancient still seem like babies. But just make sure you make the most out of it. Be productive but also have fun.

That was one of my dad's favorite quotes:

"Long days, short years."

An infinite procession that humbles our mortality.

Happy birthday sherbro ! You’re right , my days watching anime’s , listening to metal music and constructing gundam models are now long gone. Still very nostalgic about all this. In 20 years a lot of things changed around our lives , technology advanced super fast too

Today is my birthday also. I'm 38 today. You are overthinking it. Enjoy every moment!

I'm going to ride dirtbike with my wife today. Enjoy your birthday also!
Happy birthday my brother!

It's feels like yesterday I was a young lion, fast and powerful. I was the best Pokemon TCG player at my local synagogue. I could live off of ramen and rockstars for weeks. My kimura was unbreakable.

Now as a married man with kids I am slightly more powerful but hardly fast. My day consists of ordering around grown men. I'm slightly more cynical and protective, and I feel like I've lost a bit of faith in people. This is not to say I can't trust anyone, Its just that usually everyone needs something from me. And at this point my phone notifications induce a bit of anxiety.

I realize I should be more positive, and I'm thankful for the good things of course. But damn, time is a thief. If I could go back and talk to younger SakurabasEar, I would have told him to take more chances I think

I felt like that on my 30'th birthday a bit, but as time went on I realized that your 30's are actually better than your 20's for a dude unless you got kids.

While I couldn't party with my buddies until 4 in the morning on the regular, and I couldn't quit my job whenever I felt like it by 30, I started actually making a real paycheck, which allowed me to travel, buy toys, and up the quality of women I was pulling. The hot chicks I fucked in HS and college that I suddenly had trouble getting with in my mid 20's were all about fucking me again because I bought a decent home (it was after the 08 crash) and I was able to take them out to do stuff besides grabbing a drink or going to a local show. I also started throwing house parties that weren't me and a couple roommates inviting some buddies over to smoke some weed and play GTA all night. I started throwing pool parties and inviting people from work and couples who would bring over single women. It was a glorious time.

An exceptionally important point to life is the value you can create for others, while aligning that to what you want to achieve/get out of life.

Instead of seeing it as losing faith in others, maybe you just need to update your mental model of the world.

Happy Birthday!

I know that I'm more injury prone since I turned 30 (I'm 36, god help me), but I'm also a lot stronger.

I also had external factors as I went through my mid 20s to early 30s. Namely, I stopped going to the gym and my missus is a great cook. I ballooned from 175lbs to 265lbs in the span of a year. Got back into the gym, but I'm around 250lbs now. My time of doing sub 30 mins of 4 miles a day is pretty much over, so I focused on short runs and strength instead.

In terms of strength? I was at my strongest last year actually, maybe even at the beginning of this year, but I developed an RSI on my right wrist and elbow, so I avoid curling, and I hurt my shoulder a few months back, so I'm not as strong on the incline press.

It's just life. Just keep moving and you'll be fine.

In terms of the mental side? I just think that it's a case of dwindling tolerance. I've put up with things that I shouldn't have to in my thirties, and frankly, I'm tired of it. It's time, as well. As someone who had a lot of social anxiety in the past, anger towards hindsight makes me give less of a shit about what others think of me today. I just have less tolerance towards people being rude to me.

You have a wife and kids. Family matters above all. Live a good life with them.

Last edited:
Back