tip toe kicking

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
a while back I made a thread and video regarding kicking, pivoting on the foot, and how that its generallly taught to raise very high up on the ball of your foot. I was pointing out that while there isnt anything wrong with that, it isnt necessary to raise up extremely high, and that you can kick with a more flat foot, rather than being on the tip of your toes. Of course you still have pivot on the ball of your foot, which will require at least a minimal amount of elevation. Anyways, you can see a another example of this kicking style here, with tawanchai. Even with head kicks, he keeps the foot releatively flat while still pivoting.

He's got great kicks, he comes up on his toe just enough to give him the movement.

This is one of those things where it's really gotta depend on the person, even if it's something as simple as 'I feel more confident if I kick while staying flat', that can make a big difference. Ideally I want the guy to come up on their toe, but if they're landing consistently and they're technique's healthy, just leave 'em to it. I'm sure if you recorded me, I probably don't practise what I preach half the time anyway

The golden kick taught by golden era legend Karahat. Up on toes turn with the torso.

He's got great kicks, he comes up on his toe just enough to give him the movement.

This is one of those things where it's really gotta depend on the person, even if it's something as simple as 'I feel more confident if I kick while staying flat', that can make a big difference. Ideally I want the guy to come up on their toe, but if they're landing consistently and they're technique's healthy, just leave 'em to it. I'm sure if you recorded me, I probably don't practise what I preach half the time anyway

The golden kick taught by golden era legend Karahat. Up on toes turn with the torso.

The only people I have seen kick this way are thais for the most part. Both ways are correct, it just boils down to personal preference and what you feel more comfortable doing as you already mentioned. The benefit of a flat/flatter foot vs raising up on your toes is your less likely to get swept if they try to kick out the supporting leg. So maybe you stumble instead of getting completely swept on your ass for example. For me, I feel like I get more power with the flatter foot, but I feel like I kick much faster on the toes, which is how I was originally taught and Im sure most of us were as well.

Im sure you have seen this pic before, this is the cleanest, most well timed, mid shin, well placed, strongest kick I have ever landed in a fight and Im up on my toes. Im friends with this guy and his coach. I landed this kick in the first round, they told me after the fight, I landed a big kick that hurt him the rest of the fight. this was it.

14481732_10211206601107247_1989452931538216221_o.jpg

The only people I have seen kick this way are thais for the most part. Both ways are correct, it just boils down to personal preference and what you feel more comfortable doing as you already mentioned. The benefit of a flat/flatter foot vs raising up on your toes is your less likely to get swept if they try to kick out the supporting leg. So maybe you stumble instead of getting completely swept on your ass for example. For me, I feel like I get more power with the flatter foot, but I feel like I kick much faster on the toes, which is how I was originally taught and Im sure most of us were as well.

Im sure you have seen this pic before, this is the cleanest, most well timed, mid shin, well placed, strongest kick I have ever landed in a fight and Im up on my toes. Im friends with this guy and his coach. I landed this kick in the first round, they told me after the fight, I landed a big kick that hurt him the rest of the fight. this was it.

14481732_10211206601107247_1989452931538216221_o.jpg
Chest not big enough. Jk. I don’t know anything about Muay Thai

I kicked tip-toe. My trainer told me I don't have to go so high up, been doing it ever since.

Back