Tito Ortiz and pride.

Nope. He would have gotten smoked. He only had one way to win and we saw what happened when that was taken away from him. He would have had to face Shogun and Wand. And Hendo and a bunch of killers. I think Saku would have taken his arm home too.

The cage and elbows were Tito’s greatest assets.

Edit. this thread is 3 years old. Some weirdo brought up his thread from 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Tito lost in the pride department when he married a prostitute.
LOL! Ba-zing!

On a serious note I think he would do much better than people think, he had really good ground and pound and pride lhw was lacking solid wrestlers. I could see Rampage giving him trouble though.

He just went there to kiss the goat.

Sakurabakiss.gif

Love this gif bc Saku being the icon that he is politely bowed

The best part on that gif is Tito wearing the belt around his waist out of competition - Big Timmy Sylvia style.

Not enough guys do that anymore. Put some hespect on the belt.

It's a shame Tito didn't enter the 03 GP. He could have held Chuck's hand while Rampage beat the living shit out of both of them. He wouldn't sniff the top of the prime MW division.

It's a shame Tito didn't enter the 03 GP. He could have held Chuck's hand while Rampage beat the living shit out of both of them. He wouldn't sniff the top of the prime MW division.

Jackson and Ortiz were stablemates under Oyama at the time weren’t they? Still, I don’t recall ever hearing a story of how they fared with each other in sparing...

Anyway, Ortiz would have still had his way with Silva, in my opinion, but Arona, Noguiera, Rua, even Nakamura would have probably bested him.

The grapplers in Pride were on another level than the ones he fought in the UFC. Matyushenko was probably the best grappler Ortiz had to fight during his resurgence after Frank Shamrock, and Matyushenko was completely drained from the weight cut coming into that fight. Ortiz would not have been able to simply hold down the guys Pride had to offer.

Does anybody think Tito would have done much better in that organization. Just because of his wrestling ability. And just being the bigger man.

I could honestly see him taking many of the top contenders in that organization to the mat and just winning decisions with top control and ground and pound.
Let's be honest he already did that to wand and it would have been a terrible matchup for a an young in his career Shogun. And can probably do the same thing to Rampage.

Anyways I find this kind of ironic most of the top contenders in pride would have iced chunk. Can you imagine what Igor would of done to him...
He did beat prime Wand.

Alot pride bias in this thread ..not surprising

I think tito would of done well anywhere he fought..he was a great fighter, only lost to truely elite competition .. i think rampage would be his toughest test ... i dunno if tito could get rampage down that easily back in slampage days...and in the stand up rampage would of been too much for him...

I think he beats wanderlei and majority of the rest...i think chuck beats him under pride rules too during that era...

Him vs overeem would of been interesting or arona...

Double edged sword, his biggest weapons in the UFC elbows which would prohibited in Pride but he would have knees which I think he would have been more successful granted he can get to side mouth or half guard. Tito would have been the American version of Ricardo Arona in Pride, but if he started his career under Pride rules he would have been a monster imo. GSP is the only one I think would be able to successfully adapt to the rules of Pride since he focuses more on punching to pass guard.

Edit: Shogun would have messed Tito up, people like to say his TDD is horrible, but it only looked horrible because his knees was already shot during his UFC run. His TDD was actually good as he defended enough to get his opponents to open up for soccer kicks and stomps.
He’s bigger than arona. Better wrestler. And better on feet. Tito would have been a champion contender if not champion in pride.

Tito would have been yellow carded into oblivion

He just went there to kiss the goat.

Sakurabakiss.gif
That was the kiss of death , he stole Sakuraba’s Qi and I will always blame that loss on him

But in all seriousness I think Tito would always perform better on a cage with elbows instead of a ring ,with different judging criteria where you can win a fight from the bottom

He would’ve done fine but unified rules were more suited to his style, so I think the difference would’ve been slightly negative in comparison.

Jackson and Ortiz were stablemates under Oyama at the time weren’t they? Still, I don’t recall ever hearing a story of how they fared with each other in sparing...

Anyway, Ortiz would have still had his way with Silva, in my opinion, but Arona, Noguiera, Rua, even Nakamura would have probably bested him.

The grapplers in Pride were on another level than the ones he fought in the UFC. Matyushenko was probably the best grappler Ortiz had to fight during his resurgence after Frank Shamrock, and Matyushenko was completely drained from the weight cut coming into that fight. Ortiz would not have been able to simply hold down the guys Pride had to offer.

I don't think I've heard any specific sparring stories from when they were training together. I remember Rampage saying Tito was a bit of an ass when he was starting out. I think Rampage handles Tito around that time and afterwards. I agree Tito would have a lot of problems with most of those guys. I'm not convinced he beats Wandy again around that time either.

Does anybody think Tito would have done much better in that organization. Just because of his wrestling ability. And just being the bigger man.

I could honestly see him taking many of the top contenders in that organization to the mat and just winning decisions with top control and ground and pound.
Let's be honest he already did that to wand and it would have been a terrible matchup for a an young in his career Shogun. And can probably do the same thing to Rampage.

Anyways I find this kind of ironic most of the top contenders in pride would have iced chunk. Can you imagine what Igor would of done to him...
I would honestly favor Rampage, hendo and maybe even Arona in match up with tito! Almost equally good wrestling (yes even rampage), much better footwork, equal or superior striking
Did you see what babalu did to Shogun?
OK, that was uncalled for shogun who lost to babalu had little in common with shogun 2005 who kicked the shit out of both page and Arona, more similar to tito.. Its like saying did you see what under weight F. Shamrock did to tito

Such a good big target for footballkicks.

No

way more competitive LHW roster,and ropes hinder takedown/gnp

lot of respect for Tito, but I dont think he would have fared well with the top guys, he would win in impressive fashion against gimme Japanese fighters and maybe some gimme hw fighters, but I doubt he'd win the big fights at lhw. No chance he beats a young Rampage without a cage to lean on, no chance he beats a young Hendo regardless of cage or ring, young Shogun at that time was lhw goat, Wand was a savage and I'd back him to win the rematch from their earlier UFC fight. Overeem would have probably been his most achievable high profile win...but that would be a 50/50 fight for me too, Overeem caused Chuck a lot of problems in the first 5 mins and was by no means an easy fight even though he was pretty green at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyChag
Back