To snap or not to snap, that is the question.

I have used an arm bar in a fight but I only threatened to hyper-extend, and the guy (who sucker punched me in the mouth while we were having some beers) conceded and apologized. It probably wasn't the arm bar itself, because I elevated and dumped him on a tile floor right after the punch

If you have a jointlock in a real fight then you break it.

This x10. Same goes for chokes. Put em out, hold an extra 5 seconds just in case they are faking. You don't train to tap.

Depends on your fear of injury from your assailant. But honestly chokes are the way to go.

Are they? You lose all of your civil liberties in this country just mounting someone and love tapping them with your feather fists. If you RNC someone, I think anyone can kill you legally by saying they were in fear of the victims life who you were still attacking AFTER they stopped fighting back.

Let alone if they die like that big dude the police in NYC just strangled.

Self defense is about more than just winning a fight. Fuck being judged by 12 or carried by 6. I think people are crazy to strangle someone.

Retorts anyone?

A street fight isn't a singular thing, and whatever you do in it, and whatever you should do in it, will be completely context-dependent.

Context is fucking everything.

Are they? You lose all of your civil liberties in this country just mounting someone and love tapping them with your feather fists. If you RNC someone, I think anyone can kill you legally by saying they were in fear of the victims life who you were still attacking AFTER they stopped fighting back.

Let alone if they die like that big dude the police in NYC just strangled.

Self defense is about more than just winning a fight. Fuck being judged by 12 or carried by 6. I think people are crazy to strangle someone.

Retorts anyone?

Ground fighting, unless you are on the bottom is pretty hard to justify with most self defense laws. Kinda ridiculous that a controlled d'arce choke could get you in trouble, but you could do a belly to back suplex turn the guy into a vegetable and claim self defense.

Ground fighting, unless you are on the bottom is pretty hard to justify with most self defense laws. Kinda ridiculous that a controlled d'arce choke could get you in trouble, but you could do a belly to back suplex turn the guy into a vegetable and claim self defense.

People always say that self defense martial arts like Krav are better because they actually work in the street, or that sport arts are better because you train them harder.

I don't really agree with either sentiment.

The WAY you win a sport fight - taking a dominant position and exploiting it to throw a winning attack, is almost always fails to qualify as self defense.

If I hit a 1-2 and they start backing up and covering, I can't follow with a round house to finish them because that's how you become the bad guy, even though that's how you win a kick boxing match.

The same thing is true with BJJ. You win in competition by shooting a double, mounting, then hitting a submission. People get good at that. You shoot a double in real life and take mount, the bottom guy, even if he started it, is now justified in killing you in a LOT of scenarios.

The advice to choke someone past the tap so they don't come back at you is no different than killing someone because they SAY they are coming back to kill you later. You can't do it legally most of the time.

When you think of traditional self defense martial arts, there might be some wisdom in the idea of the Ippon or one hit kill. If you can just hip throw someone on their head or spinning heel kick them in the face, you might be in better shape legally than if you hit a 6 segment attack with 4-6 from a dominant position.

It is no different than preferring a gun to a club for self defense. Imagine someone comes at you with a gun and you grab a stick and hit them in the hand, then whip them around with it and injure them - you could be sent to jail and to civil court. Now, on the other hand, if you just pulled out a pistol with some kind of lethal $12 bullets and blew a pie sized whole through his back with one shot, well everyone is more ok with that.

What people should think of a little more isn't how to get the advantage in a fist fight. We all get that from combat sports. We should think more about how the tactics packaged as self defense qualify legally as self defense.

Do they encourage escape or are they fighting pressure tactics?

Do they focus on protecting yourself and powerful, fight ending strikes and throws, or do they lead you down the path of turning your attacker into the righteous defender?

And on and on...

It depends, it comes down to what you can prove, what you can't prove and whats hard to prove.

for example you could say that the aggressor said quietly "i'm gonna fucking stab you" and then reached towards their pocket. pretty hard to prove either way and you would be justified in choking them out. Then assuming you are the one on trial it is up to the prosecution to prove that the aggressor didn't say that, and if you did end up putting them out cold any lawyer worth their salt could poke holes in the testimony. Assuming everyone else around is drunk or its a busy area, you could argue they didn't hear because they were drunk or because of the noise from clubs & cars etc.

You just have to tip the scale to make it less than reasonable doubt, or less than balance of probabilities in a civil suit.

Back