Tonon Vs Aoki grappling match

Awesome match... I wonder how would it go in Mma... I don’t see Gary being subbed, i Tsi think Gary can sub aoki though

Aoki was a judo university champion before even starting BJJ iirc.
He does have very good clinch takedowns.

As I understand it, he was even better than that. One of my former instructors who trained in Japan for 7 or 8 years said Aoki had been (he used some specific Japanese term), one of the designated training partners for the Japanese national team but just a hair below being able to contend for a spot himself. So maybe similar to Fedor in terms of Judo pedigree.

Last edited:
Aoki took down nagata, Olympic Greco Roman medalist in a mma fight.

Kosaka said "mma includes striking which made it possible for aoki to score takedown against an olympic wrestler".

Really?

Kosaka said "mma includes striking which made it possible for aoki to score takedown against an olympic wrestler".

Really?

Yeah? It's one thing to be a good tightrope walker; it's another thing to try walking a tight rope while spinning plates and doing long division at the same time.

Really?
Vice versa (without size advantage...)

Last edited:

Really?

A national level Rosholt took down judo Olympic GOLD medal Satoshi Ishii. Rosholt won 4-0 the takedow battle.

Another wrestler, Lawal, a small LHW took down the same heavyweight judo Olympic GOLD medalist during Bellator 169. Lawal pinned the japanese after a throw (after many other takedowns) .

Really?
The big issue is that Nagata, like Shibata, was a Greco-Roman wrestler with no freestyle background. So unlike all the American Greco guys you see in MMA, who are really primarily scholastic wrestlers, Shibata and Nagata really didn't have any experience to speak of defending doubles, singles, trips and any attacks on the legs. It's why a guy like Mayhem Miller was able, for example, to double-leg Shibata, lift him and slam him without such a problem.

Yeah? It's one thing to be a good tightrope walker; it's another thing to try walking a tight rope while spinning plates and doing long division at the same time.
Of course, that's also an issue.

Also because pure Greco wrestlers aren't Freestyle or folkstyle wrestlers.

Back