Media Tony Ferguson looking old and skinny during UFC 274 fight week

in a 5 rounder i am with you, in a 3 rounder not so much. but i think it will be a good fight
I will say Tony will have to avoid taking big shots from Chandler early which won't be easy.. Tony is much slower than Chandler

Agreed, I've said this before, but Sherdog has a weird syndrome of not recognising shotness.

They still talk about shot fighters as if they're basically prime, often picking them over a much younger or fresher fighters.

TF is an absolute shell of his former self, and even though I'm not that high on Mike, I expect him to get a very easy win.

I've noticed this too. In boxing, even early 30's is considered ancient, so it's funny seeing MMA fans be absolutely puzzled as to why these old fighters can't perform as well as they used to.

My god, what the fuck was he rambling about in the Press conference?

Retire already

I've noticed this too. In boxing, even early 30's is considered ancient, so it's funny seeing MMA fans be absolutely puzzled as to why these old fighters can't perform as well as they used to.
Yeah but in boxing there are far more examples of success and world champions from fighters in their 30s and 40s. That shows it's possible.

Another Boxing vs UFC post...Does boxing also sell those signed posters? The UFC seems to make an effort to show that part, like to promote that the posters were actually signed by the fighters, even Conor was shown "signing" (more like just drawing a line on them) the posters last time he fought, thats more money for the UFC of course, but i dont see boxers doing this, signing 100 or more posters every PPV card, does boxing sell signed posters?

What public situations are you referring to?

You can compare Benoit to Tony in the sense that a billion dollar company isn't going to take risks with someone they think is that volatile. I wasn't comparing the end result of Benoit to Tony, anyway, only how WWE would have dealt with Benoit had they any clue he was that mentally unstable.

And billion dollar business work with Kanye because he generates that sort of money for them. Tony doesn't do anything like that for the UFC. He never has.

It's also different in this case. If Kanye flipped out and killed someone, that isn't going to come back on anyone he works with in terms of them being blamed. If Tony went crazy and did something really stupid, WME would pay for that. He's a fighter who gets punched in the head for a living and there is no way the media wouldn't relate that to whatever crazy thing he done. The UFC would then be taking a lot of heat for allowing that.

I honestly think Tony has had some mental problems in the past, but nowhere near the extent that he or a lot of fans have made out. The way he treats people, the stupid videos, the dumb way he tweets is all very intentional and not the traits of someone who is crazy or whatever. He knows exactly what he's doing with these things.
Tony literally got arrested over it. For a UFC/mma fan I'm surprised you are not aware of it. It's not old news, it was just a couple of years ago. No Benoit situation is different, unless people are committing suicide and killing people it's not comparable at all. What's the connection? Working out? Training? Wrestling? Combat sports? Those aren't real connections to that situation at all so it's dumb for people to compare it based on only that. Tony is still somewhat a draw, he has a certain fanbase. So as long as it manageable enough for him to fight and have no issues there is no reason to not have him fight if he can pass the medicals. Lots of fighters have had legal troubles and still fighting in UFC.

I can't believe they make these fighters hang out and have to interact with fans when they are supposed to be cutting weight and finalizing game plan and mental prep. I'd be pretty skinny and pissed too if I hadn't eaten well the last week or so.

Yes, but it's extremely rare.
Not too rare, lots of examples past and present. I think just less fighters try at those ages or can figure out how to still be competitive as they get older. It requires a change in training and fighting style and I think people have problems with adjusting their fighting styles. Many try to fight the exact same way they did when they were younger when they physically can't anymore. The adjustments should've been made gradually already and not just trying to do a sudden change once the physical traits are gone.

Like in Tony's situation, he didn't try to adjust until his physical abilities fell off. So he really hasn't spent a lot of time working on his adjustments or his new style, so it's still a learning curve for him and for him to try and do what he's been working on in the fights. He doesn't seem to be happy with his progress and he's blaming his coaches, but he's only been working on it for a very little amount of time. Of course there's going to be issues with what he's able to do in a fight from that short amount of training.

As for all the private life stuff, yeh, I just don't buy it. Billion dollar companies don't take any sorts of risks with liabilities like that. They wouldn't even do it for someone like Conor, and compared to Conor, Ferguson makes them basically nothing.

The UFC had a good look at Tony and his supposed mental problems and were happy to continue doing business with him. That should tell you everything. If he was anywhere near as "crazy" as he made out, they would have cut ties with him immediately.

Some billion dollar companies do...look at some NFL teams personnel decisions lol :D

I agree, in that I imagine the UFC does its due diligence, particularly with its more important 'assets', or where there have been potentially serious allegations/confirmations of bad behaviour.

Then again, the contracts are skewed so heavily in favour of the UFC (compared to most sports and other professions), with non-guaranteed contracts and a near-limitless ability to terminate at any time, I wonder how deep of a look the UFC needs and chooses to take, beyond the exceptional cases.

Tony vs Nate 4 years after either is relevant is the fight to make.

<mma4>

He looks fine, that one pic is kind of weird and possibly using an unusual lens on the camera. Also it's odd to see almost exactly the same post as this across other internet forums with the same thread title and the same exact photo.

Very true. In boxing if someone is shot it's just known, and people aren't puzzled like MMA fans as to why they're suddenly not as good :D

One thing I will say though - you're right that early 30's WAS considered ancient, not too long ago, but for whatever reason people are aging much better now and 30 is basically considered prime now. Interestingly in boxing, some of the best pound for pound fighters in the world are all early 30's - Canelo, Usyk, Spence, Crawford etc.

Sometimes age doesn't even have much to do with it, some people age better than others, but it's just so weird the way even if a fighter is so obviously shot, MMA fans don't recognise it. For example in boxing Fernando Vargas was correctly considered shot even in his late 20's, not sure why exactly, he just was. But in MMA you have people acting like Tony and Dominick Cruz are still elite :D And people still pick Edgar to win fights <Lmaoo> It's nuts.

Back