Tony got screwed by UFC and his management.

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
This guy deserved the real title shot. There was a real risk of losing a fight when you fight someone as dangerous as Justin, though obviously it was right to think Tony were more likely to win it, but it's MMA.

His management should have looked out for him in hindsight, though it may have been a difficult thing to do with everything going around and given how crazy he is. At least they should have stopped doing the weight cut for no reason given that he may end up fighting in like a couple of weeks anyway. It's not clear if it had impact on it, but we know there's no way it's good for you either to cut that weight twice.

In hindsight, it feels like Justin was prepared for Tony or Khabib all along in spite of what he was saying leading up to the fight, but Tony wasn't and had to prepare for Justin on the fly if you know what I mean..

I thought Tony wasn't going to win the TUF, but he did. People are going to start shitting on his accomplishments for this and that after he just lost, but that's ridiculous. Lightweight was and still is one of the best divisions in MMA. To do what he did is absolutely impressive. I think it's a travesty that he never got his real title shot, and that he lost in a circumstance that doesn't seem unfair to me. And some trolls are going to come out and say how he was never good and justin is better and so forth. I don't agree with that. Justin won that night, but it'd be foolish to say everything equal, Justin's better than Tony. He isn't in my opinion. He just was the better man last night.

Screwed into a 7 figure payday?
{<huh}

I don't know the exact numbers but a piece of what was likely to be a win-fall ppv would have to be in that range if not multi-millions.

The belt isn't everything... & his stock went up imo. That said, I'm sure Tony will be next after Sea-Level Justin fights for the title.

My the dude was just itching to fight!

He shouldn't have tripped over a cord

If he couldn't beat Justin on short notice, he doesn't deserve to fight Khabib.

Honestly, it's not that big a deal.

Make him fight Conor or Dustin next for no.1 contender and the winner faces Khabib after he smeshes Justin.

Screwed into a 7 figure payday?
{<huh}

I don't know the exact numbers but a piece of what was likely to be a win-fall ppv would have to be in that range if not multi-millions.

The belt isn't everything... & his stock went up imo. That said, I'm sure Tony will be next after Justin fights for the title.

Stock going up means little when your path back to an ALREADY illusive title looks bleak.

When your mindset is the way Tony's is you don't wait around for title shots. That's what got him there that's what got him taken out.

If he couldn't beat Justin on short notice, he doesn't deserve to fight Khabib.

Honestly, it's not that big a deal.

Make him fight Conor or Dustin next for no.1 contender and the winner faces Khabib after he smeshes Justin.
It won’t be the same but you’re right, one big win and the guy is back in it.

Oh stop whinging. UFC is about being an all purpose all ready tough guy. You gotta be ready to fight anyone anytime. And every fighter has had to make some last minute changes.

He had plenty of time to prepare for Justin. He's just vastly over rated, or rather, just not good enough to be a elite fighter.

The UFC scheduled his fight with Khabib 5 times. They wanted to schedule it a 6th time but Khabib is stuck. How did the UFC screw him out of that fight? Some people want to blame White/UFC for everything. That’s fine and in many cases you might be right, but in no way shape or form can you make a serious argument that the UFC kept those two from fighting. How many times should they have scheduled it? 8 times? 10 times?

This guy deserved the real title shot. There was a real risk of losing a fight when you fight someone as dangerous as Justin, though obviously it was right to think Tony were more likely to win it, but it's MMA.

His management should have looked out for him in hindsight, though it may have been a difficult thing to do with everything going around and given how crazy he is. At least they should have stopped doing the weight cut for no reason given that he may end up fighting in like a couple of weeks anyway. It's not clear if it had impact on it, but we know there's no way it's good for you either to cut that weight twice.

In hindsight, it feels like Justin was prepared for Tony or Khabib all along in spite of what he was saying leading up to the fight, but Tony wasn't and had to prepare for Justin on the fly if you know what I mean..

I thought Tony wasn't going to win the TUF, but he did. People are going to start shitting on his accomplishments for this and that after he just lost, but that's ridiculous. Lightweight was and still is one of the best divisions in MMA. To do what he did is absolutely impressive. I think it's a travesty that he never got his real title shot, and that he lost in a circumstance that doesn't seem unfair to me. And some trolls are going to come out and say how he was never good and justin is better and so forth. I don't agree with that. Justin won that night, but it'd be foolish to say everything equal, Justin's better than Tony. He isn't in my opinion. He just was the better man last night.

Tony is his own biggest problem, not his management or the UFC.

He never should have taken this fight. It was way too risky, especially given how old he is. There is a good chance now that he will never be the same, both mentally and physically.

Tony screwed himself by consistently making bonehead business decisions. He chose to skip the Holloway fight (which would have give him Khabib) and then he chose to accept the Gaethje fight on short notice. He also chose to cut weight twice in the span of 3 weeks. The guy is an idiot unfortunately

He had his chances to fight for the belt, and fucked them up.

Tony screwed himself by consistently making bonehead business decisions. He chose to skip the Holloway fight (which would have give him Khabib) and then he chose to accept the Gaethje fight on short notice. He also chose to cut weight twice in the span of 3 weeks. The guy is an idiot unfortunately

An idiot that is impossible to talk sense to. He lives in his own little meathead world.

Tony: "I could have been better, I could have been a lot better. Oh Dana, wow."

Dana: "Look, kid, how much you weigh, slick? When you weighed one hundred and fifty-five pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Anderson Silva, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he didn't let you wait for your title shot."

Tony: "It wasn't him, Dana, it was you. Remember the pandemic, you came to me and said, "Kid this ain't your night for the title shot. We're gonna make you fight Gaethje. You remember that? This ain't your night! My night! I coulda taken Khabib apart! So what happens? Gaethje gets the title shot outdoors in Russia and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palookaville! I gave you everything Dana, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. A twelve fight win streak for cryin' out loud. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to keep on fighting for the short-end money."

Dana: "You saw some money"

Tony: "You don't understand. I coulda had class, I coulda been somebody, I coulda been champion of the world, instead of a has-been, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Dana."

This was such a colossally dumb idea. Could've just given Tony a tune up, but no.

Yep always the victim, never done anything detrimental to himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back