Top 100 Best Selling Music Artists of All Time

Which is odd to me considering of her counterparts she was a worse singer than Christina Aguilera. Christina's songs were just not as catchy or even as good for that matter. In the past 30 years I would say the biggest female pop stars in no order are: Britney, Rihanna, Beyonce, Taylor and Gaga.
Brittany had better producers and choreographers

The streaming to sales ratio is kind of guesswork, no one really knows how to compare them. Better than nothing I guess.

71QFQJ9b0zL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

The top 3 were never in doubt, those three are the biggest stars in the past 70 years, surprised the 'Stones are below Madonna and Queen.

Thought this was pretty interesting.

***This list is based upon a system called Equivalent Album Sales (EAS). This takes into account multiple facets of an artist’s success beyond simple album sales, and helps to show a more complete look at the best performing music acts of all time.

Conversion ratio between formats:Studio album: sales of the original album (ratio 1/1)Other LPs: sales of compilations generated thanks to the album (ratio 1/1)Physical singles: sales of physical singles from the album (added to CSPC total with a ratio 3/10 for 2-tracks, 5/10 for EPs and Maxis)

Digital singles: sales of digital singles from the album (ratio 1.5/10 for CSPC total)Streaming: EAS of all the album tracks (ratio 1/1500 for Audio stream and 1/6750 for Video stream)***

View attachment 1042983

Will this become a "Of all these 100 best selling artists which ones are the best" poll and if so count me in.

This is a decent point imo. Other people on this board have disagreed with me about something similar but Swift, Drake, BTS, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd and Beyonce for example I wonder how they would have done sells wise against other eras? I think Swift would have done okay in another era but I think if you put any of those other artists in any other era they don't sell as much, and I don't think they have long term success.

It was pointed out in another thread that Madonna just set the record for stand-alone concert attendance. At 65 years old, 1.6 million people attended her concert in Rio on May 4. I'm not sure how one would adjust for era but that's pretty unbelievable.

It's not easy to have long-term popularity like that across many generations. Swift is really the only person on there that I think could achieve some measure of it but it's too early to say.

It was pointed out in another thread that Madonna just set the record for stand-alone concert attendance. At 65 years old, 1.6 million people attended her concert in Rio on May 4. I'm not sure how one would adjust for era but that's pretty unbelievable.

It's not easy to have long-term popularity like that across many generations. Swift is really the only person on there that I think could achieve some measure of it but it's too early to say.
Not writing off the accomplishment, but free shows aren't comparable to ticketed shows.

No shit. There have been plenty of free shows and Madonna at 65 set the record.
That kind of record is partly popularity, but a lot just whether or not a venue has any interest hosting a crowd that size for free. You'll notice Monsters of Rock and other festivals and big artists have done similar numbers. I'm not hating on Madonna, I'm just saying that given the opportunity, there are festivals and other acts that could get numbers like that.

That kind of record is partly popularity, but a lot just whether or not a venue has any interest hosting a crowd that size for free. You'll notice Monsters of Rock and other festivals and big artists have done similar numbers. I'm not hating on Madonna, I'm just saying that given the opportunity, there are festivals and other acts that could get numbers like that.

Obviously festivals can do bigger numbers. That's completely irrelevant. You're trying to compare apples with oranges. Focus on what's being said.

Again, Madonna at 65 set the record for a stand-alone free concert. If your argument is "well other people could do big numbers" then that argument falls on its face because no one has.

Madonna is an absolute legend.

Back