Economy Top Democrats push to pay off $50,000 student loans

Remember this face when liberals say you are against their policies because you hate black and brown people. This is who their policies are actually designed to help.
This is their demographic now. They openly said so last election

Also

it actually isn't, you rotten little worm. You have to earn a degree to have a shot at a middle class lifestyle. My choices were to make $15 bucks an hour for the rest of my life, go into the trades and make $25 bucks an hour for the rest of my life, or go to school and have a shot at a middle class life and salary. I was not going to spend the rest of my life working service or retail jobs. I've been in the trades for years, and fucking hated it.

So no. I didn't have a choice. And no, it isn't my fault - every other functioning nation on the planet provides university for little or zero cost. Because you're a brain-rotted, geographically isolated American that has no experience of the rest of the world, you think this shit is normal. It is not normal.
Not sure who lied to you man, but trades can pay $50 an hour depending on certs and level of training. You can also start your own business once you're skilled enough and at that point, you get to decide your income.

I played French horn in high school and won scholarships to study music, it would have been a free ride. I still didn't choose that path because musicians are always poor, even the best classical musicians (with a few rare exceptions) aren't rich.

I wonder how much of this guy's debt was interest, he's been paying for twenty five years.
Probably paying the minimum payment forever

Sadly , Trump sold himself out to the pharmaceutical industry. Had the entire country shut down on his watch. Probably the worst part of his presidency if we're being honest.

Trump never shutdown anything. He did suggest a two week shutdown in April, but he explicitly left it up to the states. And then later in 2020, urged the lockdown states to reopen. States like Texas and Flordia had been open for months already.

He actually nailed what the strategy should have been.

Trump tosses coronavirus shutdowns back to the states (April 2020)​

The president told governors he’d let them decide when to restart shuttered activity, offering general guidance on a phased approach.

In a call with governors and at a White House news conference, the president marked the moment — which he called “open up America again“ — as a key step in reviving a devastated economy and an opportunity for state leaders to tailor a response to their individual needs.

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

Trump says nationwide lockdown would ‘ultimately inflict more harm than it would prevent’ (August 2020)​

• President Donald Trump insisted Monday that shutting down the United States in an attempt to curb the coronavirus would cause more harm than good.
  • He said the U.S. only initially shut down to prevent the overflow of hospitals and to allow U.S. health officials and scientists to learn more about the new virus, including developing effective treatments to fight it.
President Donald Trump insisted Monday that shutting down the United States in an attempt to curb the coronavirus would cause more harm than good, doubling down on previous comments that he would not call for a nationwide lockdown.

“It’s important for all Americans to recognize that a permanent lockdown is not a viable path forward producing the result that you want or certainly not a viable path forward and would ultimately inflict more harm than it would prevent,” Trump said during a White House briefing on the virus.

He said the U.S. only initially shut down to prevent the overflow of hospitals and to allow U.S. health officials and scientists to learn more about the new virus, including developing effective treatments to fight it. He said the U.S. is doing “really well” on developing coronavirus drugs and vaccines.

“Lockdowns do not prevent infection in the future. They just don’t. It comes back many times, it comes back,” Trump said.

“In our current phase, we must focus on protecting those at highest risk while allowing younger and healthier Americans to resume work and school with careful precautions. Ideally we want to open those schools. We want to open them,” he said.

State lawmakers, rather than the federal government, have imposed harsh restrictions on residents and businesses throughout the nation’s coronavirus response. But with the U.S. economy straining under the social distancing rules, Trump has loudly called on the country to reopen.

Trump has insisted that he wouldn’t close the country if a second wave of coronavirus cases emerged. Instead, the U.S. will “put out the fires” as they arise. In recent weeks he’s pushed for schools to reopen in the fall regardless the state of the nation’s Covid-19 outbreak, saying that keeping schools closed “is causing death also.”

Trump never shutdown anything. He explicitly left it up to the states. And then later in 2020, urged the lockdown states to reopen. States like Texas and Flordia had been open for months already.

He actually nailed what the strategy should have been.

Trump tosses coronavirus shutdowns back to the states (April 2020)​

The president told governors he’d let them decide when to restart shuttered activity, offering general guidance on a phased approach.

In a call with governors and at a White House news conference, the president marked the moment — which he called “open up America again“ — as a key step in reviving a devastated economy and an opportunity for state leaders to tailor a response to their individual needs.

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

Trump says nationwide lockdown would ‘ultimately inflict more harm than it would prevent’ (August 2020)​

• President Donald Trump insisted Monday that shutting down the United States in an attempt to curb the coronavirus would cause more harm than good.
  • He said the U.S. only initially shut down to prevent the overflow of hospitals and to allow U.S. health officials and scientists to learn more about the new virus, including developing effective treatments to fight it.
President Donald Trump insisted Monday that shutting down the United States in an attempt to curb the coronavirus would cause more harm than good, doubling down on previous comments that he would not call for a nationwide lockdown.

“It’s important for all Americans to recognize that a permanent lockdown is not a viable path forward producing the result that you want or certainly not a viable path forward and would ultimately inflict more harm than it would prevent,” Trump said during a White House briefing on the virus.

He said the U.S. only initially shut down to prevent the overflow of hospitals and to allow U.S. health officials and scientists to learn more about the new virus, including developing effective treatments to fight it. He said the U.S. is doing “really well” on developing coronavirus drugs and vaccines.

“Lockdowns do not prevent infection in the future. They just don’t. It comes back many times, it comes back,” Trump said.

“In our current phase, we must focus on protecting those at highest risk while allowing younger and healthier Americans to resume work and school with careful precautions. Ideally we want to open those schools. We want to open them,” he said.

State lawmakers, rather than the federal government, have imposed harsh restrictions on residents and businesses throughout the nation’s coronavirus response. But with the U.S. economy straining under the social distancing rules, Trump has loudly called on the country to reopen.

Trump has insisted that he wouldn’t close the country if a second wave of coronavirus cases emerged. Instead, the U.S. will “put out the fires” as they arise. In recent weeks he’s pushed for schools to reopen in the fall regardless the state of the nation’s Covid-19 outbreak, saying that keeping schools closed “is causing death also.”
What was his opinion on Sweden? And his opinion when Georgia wanted to re open ?

What was his opinion on Sweden? And his opinion when Georgia wanted to re open ?

Fair enough... But he definitely held to the State's policy. And by early summer had changed his mind on lockdowns in general.

I make a completely healthy middle class salary. It is not the degree. It is the explosive cost of housing that is preventing me from being able to pay loans off. I can't do fucking anything with my life when I'm paying 50% of my income off the top to rent. And what I pay for rent is below the average for a 1 bed. Every other functioning nation on this planet provides higher education at little to no cost. Stop trying to justify the dysfunctional and abnormal way in which this country does this.

And yet other people are making it work.

And yet other people are making it work.
That is not what the data shows, no. The data shows that people have no savings, they're barely scraping by, and middle class college grads are getting completely double dicked by the 1-2 fuck you of student loan repayments and rent. Of which I am but one of millions.

This is designed to appease the majority of student debt holders not the ones the most effected. I got a full ride to law school and have almost 80k on housing alone. There are people who owe 300-400k.

Btw I support reparations to all those who previously paid their loans unless they didn't support loan forgiveness.

Why not cancel people's medical debts? If they truly cared they would help people thousands of dollars in debt due to medical bills.
Great Point.....But why not stop there? Pandering has no limits when it comes to getting reelected.....I'm sure I still have some late Rental Fees at Blockbuster and still owe Columbia House. We need to raise the bars yall

Why not cancel people's medical debts? If they truly cared they would help people thousands of dollars in debt due to medical bills.

When you make healthcare a right etc and prosectute the capitalists the debt will go just go away. And obviously most people who see education as a right see health care as a bigger right.

Student loans are different because the govt is the one that gave you the loans. There is no need to deal with a middleman. The servicer is collecting money for the govt. Getting medical debt will be a bloody battle with the insurance and hospital industry. They will forgive that debt over all our dead bodies. Getting student loans forgiven in theory is a much easier fight that can be accomplished in 24 hours.

When you make healthcare a right etc and prosectute the capitalists the debt will go just go away. And obviously most people who see education as a right see health care as a bigger right.

Student loans are different because the govt is the one that gave you the loans. There is no need to deal with a middleman. The servicer is collecting money for the govt. Getting medical debt will be a bloody battle with the insurance and hospital industry. They will forgive that debt over all our dead bodies. Getting student loans forgiven in theory is a much easier fight that can be accomplished in 24 hours.
It can't and shouldn't be accomplished in 24 hours because the individuals that chose not to go to college or went to Trade School shouldn't have to pay money out of their checks to pay for a debt someone signed a contract for... That doesn't even seem legally sound.

It can't and shouldn't be accomplished in 24 hours because the individuals that chose not to go to college or went to Trade School shouldn't have to pay money out of their checks to pay for a debt someone signed a contract for... That doesn't even seem legally sound.

Taxpayers don't fund spending especially this kind of spending. And its a false choice meant to pit people against each other. With great success.

Someone going to trade school is irelevant to education being a right. Its part of you trying to frame education as a tool for capitalism instead of education. No trade school is not a substitute for a liberal arts degree. You just hate liberal arts degrees and don't value education for educations sake.
Also you're trying to pit the educated and blue collar groups against each other. And its largely worked and I'm not going to lie if I'm not bitter af towards the Michael Rowe types. But we never said they can't go to trade school or said people should never be carpenters or what not if thats what they are passionate about being. Trade school people have constantly been at war with the educated. Colllege teaches people a better way to live then 9 to 5 too. The experience makes people less likely to accept capitalism. Trade school is pushed because it does no such thing and its just reinforcing the market lifestyle.

Its paying for a human right. Same as housing, healthcare etc. These are all things done inherently under durres. You need the thing and someone else is putting it behind a paywall. Agreeing to it under duress is not consent.

I make a completely healthy middle class salary. It is not the degree. It is the explosive cost of housing that is preventing me from being able to pay loans off. I can't do fucking anything with my life when I'm paying 50% of my income off the top to rent. And what I pay for rent is below the average for a 1 bed. Every other functioning nation on this planet provides higher education at little to no cost. Stop trying to justify the dysfunctional and abnormal way in which this country does this.
Uh ok, same here, was just curious which trade you were talking about

I played French horn in high school and won scholarships to study music, it would have been a free ride. I still didn't choose that path because musicians are always poor, even the best classical musicians (with a few rare exceptions) aren't rich.

I wonder how much of this guy's debt was interest, he's been paying for twenty five years.
I view music or art as much of a career as sports. At some point people need to give up on these foolish dreams and go get a real job.

I'm guessing it didn't matter since this turd most likely didn't even try to pay to begin with. So the $250,000 total probably included penalties.

Is anyone suggesting America copy Australia's much more logical, cheap, efficient and effective system yet?

Back