Movies TOP GUN: MAVERICK (Named Best Picture by National Board of Review, post #1201)

If you have seen TOP GUN: MAVERICK, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Just got back from it. They did it. They fucking did it. Hit me in all the manly feels.

10/10
You should follow up by watching The Northman as soon as you can.

you’ll want to eat a blue rare steak, pulverize the pelvis of your wife, and raid your neighbors houses for anything nice they have, and smiting all who resist you.

You should follow up by watching The Northman as soon as you can.

you’ll want to eat a blue rare steak, pulverize the pelvis of your wife, and raid your neighbors houses for anything nice they have, and smiting all who resist you.
Saw it a few months back in the theatre. Would also recommend.

It's legit good every time you watch it. lol
Just like the first one

swason-ron-swanson.gif

I’m pretty sure I’m doing a double feature when I go see Jurassic World this week and I think I’m more excited to watch Top Gun again than JW the first time <Lmaoo>

Jurassic World?
<{1-17}>

I finally saw it tonight.

I gave it a 9/10 because it delivered on the premise of what a Top Gun movie should be. More unintentional comedy than I expected but also hit some nice emotional notes.

Lots of fighter jets going fast.

Beach football scene was 80% less homoerotic vs. the original beach volleyball scene.

Nice send off for Val Kilmer. Nicely done. The female leads from 1986 did not fare as well. McGillis is unmentioned and apparently Meg Ryan has been dead for quite some time.

Overall, they did a great job on a sequel that was completely unnecessary but turned out to be a lotta fun

My only real issue with the movie is the mediocre soundtrack and score. The soundtrack and score in the original was 10/10 amazing. The soundtrack and score here is like 5-6/10 max. Could have been a lot better.

Btw, odds on Top Gun 3? I feel the heads at Paramount are going to be begging Cruise for another one.

Btw, odds on Top Gun 3? I feel the heads at Paramount are going to be begging Cruise for another one.

yeah, why not? it has been a massive hit both in the US and internationally. I think it is Cruise's biggest ever box office. plus it has the feel of a movie that is going to be streaming for the next 40 years.

The studio likes money. Cruise likes money and he is not averse to franchises. They have a strong second lead in Teller already in the cast. It is easy to plot out a sequel. They could even do human pilots against drones.

I never once felt that Top Gun needed a sequel or should be turned into a franchise but I can't argue with the results. The demand is there and they have proven that they can make a movie as much fun as the original.

Probably the biggest challenge is Cruise's schedule but no reason why he could not fit one into the next 5+ years.

550? It needs an update, just crossed 900 million yesterday and will Tom Cruise to over a billion easily even with no Chinese market release. He has a significant following in South Korea and it opens there this week. TGM is also showing some of the strongest box office legs of all-time thanks to its quality, word of mouth and repeat viewings.

He's truly worthy of high praise.

^ Utter Insanity

Out there legit breaking his ankles leaping across rooftops on location in London and still finishes the fucking take (you can see him hobble after it happens).

This guy is a legit legend. That term gets thrown around a lot, but Tom Cruise has legitimately gotta be one of the coolest people on Earth. Definitely my favorite actor.

As far as box office goes, it's insanely impressive that this movie is gonna cross $1 Billion with zero help from the chinese box office. I would like to know what other movies have been able to do that. (No Russian B.O. either)

The studio likes money. Cruise likes money and he is not averse to franchises. They have a strong second lead in Teller already in the cast. It is easy to plot out a sequel. They could even do human pilots against drones.
I hope not. That sounds too scifi to me. I wanna keep it based in reality as much as possible. If anything drone-related is included, I hope all it involves is the debate on whether it's time to phase out living pilots or not ("Drones are the future!" --- "With drones there is zero risk to human life!"). But I absolutely do not under any circumstances want to see a Pilots vs Drones storyline, as far as the two fighting in the end. That's just stupid.
<{clintugh}>

Probably the biggest challenge is Cruise's schedule but no reason why he could not fit one into the next 5+ years.
I haven't heard of anything past M:I 8 on his schedule. So if they start scripting 3 right now, they could be ready to go once M:I 8 is done.

At first I was against it but now I think I like the idea of #3. As long as they keep it based in reality.

I hope not. That sounds too scifi to me. I wanna keep it based in reality as much as possible. If anything drone-related is included, I hope all it involves is the debate on whether it's time to phase out living pilots or not ("Drones are the future!" --- "With drones there is zero risk to human life!"). But I absolutely do not under any circumstances want to see a Pilots vs Drones storyline, as far as the two fighting in the end. That's just stupid.
<{clintugh}>

I haven't heard of anything past M:I 8 on his schedule. So if they start scripting 3 right now, they could be ready to go once M:I 8 is done.

At first I was against it but now I think I like the idea of #3. As long as they keep it based in reality.

he is working with Liman on 2 other movies, including a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow / All You Need is Kill

he is working with Liman on 2 other movies, including a sequel to Edge of Tomorrow / All You Need is Kill
Oh yeah, the space one and the Edge sequel. Well, after that seems more realistic for Top Gun 3. It'll give them time to figure out the story and set up the contracts with the DoD.

Cruise is a prideful man. It won't happen unless he feels it'll be done properly. They caught lightning with this. Don't try again, imo.

Cruise is a prideful man. It won't happen unless he feels it'll be done properly. They caught lightning with this. Don't try again, imo.

His stubbornness to not release this during the height of the pandemic on streaming platforms has paid off. The longer delay heightened a general public that was digging thre nostalgia trip as well as interested in a project that wasn't a comic book film.

A sequel about his time as a test pilot would be cool. The hypersonic plane from the first of the movie was the coolest part to me. I hated Goose's kid and his stupid looking stache. Would've been better with the 'Hangman' character getting more screen time.

I'm 50/50 on it. I feel the odds are better if they just leave well enough alone. Better to have an excellent duology than go for a trilogy where the third film is subpar and "shouldn't have been made." However, I feel like it would be foolish not to at least try and break the story for a potential third film. I hope they'll spend some time trying to iron something out. Then if they decide they don't have anything, no harm done.

TGM could potentially top out at $1.1-1.2 Billion without china. The head of Paramount would be insane not to at least inquire about a #3.

If Joker 2 can happen, maybe Top Gun 3 can too.

Back