Training at two different kickboxing gyms...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I am training at a kickboxing gym after work 5 days a week and yet I am still yearning for more. So now I found another gym that has classes before my work starts and is near my job as well.

I am wondering if its a good idea to train or is it asking for trouble since it might be considered a conflict of interest?

As far as the second gym goes, I went there yesterday and I am starting to realize that its a mcdojo. First of all they have all these colourful belts (yellow with black line) and they want me to sign a contract which I REFUSE to do so…

This caught me off guard since they talked a good game that their rates are flexible and that they specialize in kyokushin karate but the whole thing is starting to look dodgy to me…

American kickboxing has a belt system, because its origins are in karate. Don't just a book by its cover, just check out their instruction and see if they are actually teaching techniques properly.

I also recently joined an american kickboxing gym, and coming from muay thai background, I thought the colorful belt system was a joke. But the instructors are legit and have fight experience.

I'm also thinking about going to train with 2 different gyms, the only problem is that I dont want conflict, and considering the whole "TJ Dillashaw, snake in the grass" debacle, I think the value of gym loyalty is rising lol

My current new gym has a better schedule for me, more sparring partners, and better facilities. My older gym has a better one-on-one environment, less partners/smaller gym, but I can visit it on the weekend. I guess I should just talk with my old gym, if they accept the situation, then I can visit it 1-2/week. Like other threads, they recommend 1 main gym and use the other gym with a punchcard. The problem is, most kickboxing gyms dont have pay-per-visit system, its monthly or yearly memberships. I guess I'll have to negotiate that

Just keep your 1st gym as your main gym (compete for them, etc) and its fine. Unless of course your coach/team is highly against this. If the gym's style is completely different and the newer one is trying to change your style, then I should say don't train there.

My coach says training with multiple gym should be like dating, not marriage.

It is about your education and you seem very passionate. This is not the old days where gyms need you to pledge allegiance. Simply do not contradict one teacher against another and you will be fine. Don't talk about what you do at another gym. The one commitment you owe is to not take their training and hurt them by talking up another gym or questioning their instructors. Simply don't tell anyone.

Just keep your 1st gym as your main gym (compete for them, etc) and its fine. Unless of course your coach/team is highly against this. If the gym's style is completely different and the newer one is trying to change your style, then I should say don't train there.

My coach says training with multiple gym should be like dating, not marriage.

Makes sense, the first gym is an authentic muay thai gym and the second gym is a kickboxing gym that has its roots in Kyokushin and boxing. To be fair, I have only been training at the first gym for 3 months and I am going to be attending the new gym on Monday.

It is about your education and you seem very passionate. This is not the old days where gyms need you to pledge allegiance. Simply do not contradict one teacher against another and you will be fine. Don't talk about what you do at another gym. The one commitment you owe is to not take their training and hurt them by talking up another gym or questioning their instructors. Simply don't tell anyone.

I agree with what your saying, my mentality going in to this is to absorb the two different styles and see which of their collective techniques fits my interest and body type.

The thing I know from both schools is that, first one being a thai gym has great emphasis on clinch grappling as well as throws and sweeps. While the other gym tends to stress on flexibility, balance and tons of high kicks.

Sounds like what each of them teach with compliment the styling of the other.

Go for it.

Sounds like what each of them teach with compliment the styling of the other.

Go for it.

Thanks I will though I won't compete until I verse myself in their gym culture and see which one breeds healthier more successful fighters/martial artist.

Thanks I will though I won't compete until I verse myself in their gym culture and see which one breeds healthier more successful fighters/martial artist.
Don't fool yourself, high success coach =/= high success. Some people are just better suited for others.
Not saying don't take it as a good gauge, but always trust yourself, not just a paper review of someone!

If one gym has a problem with you training at another, they are very insecure. Go for it, it's your training, no-one elses.

Just be honest with people about what you're about. Take what you can use from both.

Ideally you'd want one coach to teach you a total system and mentor you through it. In this case you would be working against your interests.

In reality though most people are their own head coach and are responsible for deciding what training to do and how to incorporate it.

After a bad experience I'd say be open but ulimately do what's best for you. I had a boxing coach get pissy with me when he found out I was training at another gym at the same time even though I still fought for his gym. The reason was because I wasn't getting any sparring at my regular gym. Even though I had raised the issue many times my coach wouldn't do anything other than pay lip service.

What I should have done is told him before I went training at the other gym and if he had a problem with that then I should have left.

If you only have been training kickboxing for 3 months, l don't see how going to both places is gonna help you, it may even be counterproductive.

If you only have been training kickboxing for 3 months, l don't see how going to both places is gonna help you, it may even be counterproductive.

I agree with you for most part, but I have been boxing for 5 years and I am curious to know what style of kickboxing is best suited with my boxing skills/experience.

That and I have noticed after each training session, I get an urge to train again few hours later and so the second gym having classes/open gym before work maybe a good time and place to get the first workout/training session in.

Few things jumping out here...

Youve only been training for three months... Going to multiple gyms when you have no base to work with is going to do more damage then be helpful.. Contradicting advice will get in your head and leave you confused

Despite just venturing into your gym, you are able to train 5 days a week.. Major red flag here.

Dont insult your coaches, training partners by venturing to a new gym when you dont know shit

Few things jumping out here...

Youve only been training for three months... Going to multiple gyms when you have no base to work with is going to do more damage then be helpful.. Contradicting advice will get in your head and leave you confused

Despite just venturing into your gym, you are able to train 5 days a week.. Major red flag here.

Dont insult your coaches, training partners by venturing to a new gym when you dont know shit

I said I boxed for 5 years!

Also what is the red flag all about being able to train 5 days a week?

I said I boxed for 5 years!

Also what is the red flag all about being able to train 5 days a week?

Where did you say that..

Went back and re-read your previous posts and see no mention of previous experience.

Are the classes that easy that you can train 5 straight days without rest?

Either way...back to what I originally said..

You are new to the art...stick to one gym for the time being. If that gym you are at now isnt satisfying your thirst time to find a new one. Its that simple

Where did you say that..

Went back and re-read your previous posts and see no mention of previous experience.

Are the classes that easy that you can train 5 straight days without rest?

Either way...back to what I originally said..

You are new to the art...stick to one gym for the time being. If that gym you are at now isnt satisfying your thirst time to find a new one. Its that simple

In post 12 I mentioned that I boxed for 5 years and post 13 was your response.

When I was boxing seriously, I remember I use to do lots of hill sprinting and weights in the morning and I would go to the boxing gym and train hard but not very smart. What I mean is, I use to do tons and tons of conditioning and sparring. ( I sparred monday/wed/friday)

As far as the second gym goes, I went there yesterday and I am starting to realize that its a mcdojo. First of all they have all these colourful belts (yellow with black line) and they want me to sign a contract which I REFUSE to do so

I had this question too... I'd say just be open and frank and let instructors in both gyms that you have been training elsewhere too. It might be more awkward/embarrassing for them to find out from third parties, most coaches in the same locality probably know and talk to each other.

Back