Training Frequency for Progress?

i train 8 times a week with 2 days of S&C i do anywhere from 30 min - 1 hr drilling after class and i only really roll 1-2 times a week cause i don't think my body can handle hard rolling 8 times a week XD P.S. i don't work or have kids

Why are you doing more drilling than rolling? That is a shit ton of training by the way, cut down the drilling sessions and get some more rolling, you must be a kid, enjoy the journey, I think focus so much on getting better ( that's probably what you are after if you are taking classes and drilling so much) will burn you out...

Why are you doing more drilling than rolling? That is a shit ton of training by the way, cut down the drilling sessions and get some more rolling, you must be a kid, enjoy the journey, I think focus so much on getting better ( that's probably what you are after if you are taking classes and drilling so much) will burn you out...
i noticed that i progress much better by drilling, i use rolling to see how much I've improved and what I'm weakest on then i just do a lot of drills to fix that weakness and then next week ill roll a few times to see what needs to be improved you know? also I've been doing this routine for a while now I'm still young so i think thats why i don't get burnt out

How do you improve by rolling 1-2 times per week???

For me, the biggest thing about going down to 2 sessions a week, is cardio. It's just not the same. 2 sessions is not bad, and you can definitely learn, but it will always be more difficult.

On the topic of drilling / rolling, when I joined BJJ in July last year, the instructor was having us do a good chunk of the class drilling and we did rolling at the end I was improving with once per week.

Then the Muay Thai club defaulted on the rent and we couldn't train there anymore.
The instructor ran the club out of his home from October and we did warm up one drill then roll cause he was just phoning it in, I didn't improve very quickly even upping the training to two days a week.

We got a new venue in February and did lots of drilling with less rolling and I improved drastically. I really prefer the approach of mainly drilling and using rolling to apply it after you have drilled it for a couple days.

I wonder if there is a correlation between x days a week and burn out? I have been 3 days almost my whole journey. Two regular 1:45 minute classes with technique (stand up and ground) and ~35 minutes of live sparring. 1 day a week of "open mat" that ends up being 1 hour to 1.5 hour of rolling rounds. More than this I get hurt (I am old) and I don't get to spend time with my family or ride my bike. I get sad when I miss both of those.

I've been doing about 2 days a week (about an average of 3 hrs/wk) for several years now. I'm OK and continue to progress but I'm sure I'm not as good as I could be. I'm a recent purple belt and I'm starting to feel the need for more focused training/drilling.

There's probably no one right answer for this, but I'm grappling (chortle) with the problem of training frequency and how it relates to progress or lack thereof. Can you get "good" training twice per week? (more detail on what I mean below)

I'm a 10 month white belt. 33 years old, family with 2 young kids and busy/stressful job (physician), church activites, research and teaching obligations etc but I really enjoy BJJ. Thus far I've been going 3 days a week fairly consistently, which is ending up being ~5 hours a week, by blocking time in my schedule and sticking to it, more or less no matter what comes up I go to class. Problem is that it might be hard to sustain going 3x/week - juggling everything is just getting hard to deal with; I decreased my weight training to only one day per week but even then it is hard to swing. 2 days a week, I could definitely see.

I realize that to achieve anything of value requires sacrifice and committment. Thus far I've learned a ton and am seeing real improvement and am seeing progress in ability to successfully use techniques in live sparring, and if anything I am even more enthusiastic about it than when I started. I want to do BJJ long term. The question is, how much of an impact does going down from 3 times per week to 2 times per week have in terms of progress? If it's just an issue of taking (for example) 20 years to become a legitimate blackbelt and increasing that to 30 years from now, then maybe that would be ok. My fear though is whether 2 times per week is enough to gain and retain information, and whether it would be more like 20 years to NEVER and I would get stuck at blue belt level or something like that from not training enough.

What is your guys' experience and observations? Can you get good (relatively - not mundials champion or anything) only doing BJJ twice per week for about 3 hours per week (not including looking at videos, drilling at home etc) if you do it consistently year after year, as in some day far off reaching legit blackbelt level, or does it it require a good deal more? I've read about guys who got pretty good - even black belt level - going 3x/week who were very consistent and dedicated to progressing.

In summary, while I have no delusions of being a mundials or ADCC champion by ANY MEANS, I would still like to get legitimately good, what you'd expect from a given belt (to be a good blue belt, purple, brown and then someday a legit black belt) and wonder if this is feasible on 2x/week. On a related note - for the other direction (for those training a LOT) - is there a point where training more doesn't really contribute to more rapid progress, or at least not proportional to time expenditure?

so, how did it work out?

so, how did it work out?
Some ups, some downs :) Purple belt now, almost 6 years of training. Still training 3x/week for the most part. To make progress consistently I really feel like I need 3x/week - twice per week just doesn't seem to do it over the long haul, I've had periods when I was training less than 3x/week (like...erm...right now - need to get back on horse) but that frequency really makes a difference.

Back