Training too much?

Leankick

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Right now im training 4 times a week and sometimes 5. Im a beginner in my first few months of bjj. My game has improved a lot by training so much.

The thing is...if i train for example monday and then tuesday, im just worn out on tuesday and the guys who ddidnt go monday are fresh on tuesday and perform better against me than usual. Like guys i would normally tap, tap me. If i train for third time on wensday im just dead and even more worn out. Now imagine the fifth day. I have to rely on technique instead of my muscles and energy tank.

Its frustrating getting smashed when you know if you had more rest you would put up a better roll. Then again , training this much is good for technique. And im having fun.

Will it get better? Or am i just training too much?

As a beginner you shouldn't care about or count taps. Learning to rely on technique more is GOOD at this stage. Stop muscling everything. SO important.

As a beginner you shouldn't care about or count taps. Learning to rely on technique more is GOOD at this stage. Stop muscling everything. SO important.

But....but......tapping people is fun.....gives confidence in knowing your training is working.

But im not sure where you re getting at man. Its not me muscling things, which I hardly do, that tires me out. Its training so much haha.

Focus on recovery? Are you super out of shape that training for one day on mondays makes you THAT tired on Tuesday?

I would go
Train: Monday, Tuesday
Rest: Wednesday
Train: Thursday, Friday

If you train too much too soon you will get burnt out in the long run. Especially if you are dying from ONE practice

Focus on recovery? Are you super out of shape that training for one day on mondays makes you THAT tired on Tuesday?

I would go
Train: Monday, Tuesday
Rest: Wednesday
Train: Thursday, Friday

If you train too much too soon you will get burnt out in the long run. Especially if you are dying from ONE practice

Pretty much out of shape. My whole body is sore after 1 session. Right now im okay and expect to be at 40% of my usual energy if i went training today.

How old are you? If you are a teenager, your body will adapt. If you are in your 20s, then start training more wisely.

You're either overtraining, or under-recovering, which amounts to the same in the end. If you can't recover more, train less.

Personally: I'm 8 years in, I'm a purple belt, I can hold my own, and honestly more than 4x a week fucks me up. 2-3x a week is often enough since I'm usually active outside of BJJ too. Some guys seem able to pull off more, I just can't. Might be your case too.

But....but......tapping people is fun.....gives confidence in knowing your training is working.

But im not sure where you re getting at man. Its not me muscling things, which I hardly do, that tires me out. Its training so much haha.

I can understand you just started to discover BJJ, so tapping people is fun as it boosts your confidence but it's not all BJJ. You need to focus on guards, passing guards sweeping and getting positions. Submissions only if you maintain a position.
4-5 times a week is good not too excessive for a hobbyist who wants to train seriously, is it a 1 hour class or 1.5 hour class or a 2 hours class?

It's normal that you perform worse when you are not fresh. BJJ get less hard on the body once you get better.

You're either overtraining, or under-recovering, which amounts to the same in the end. If you can't recover more, train less.

Personally: I'm 8 years in, I'm a purple belt, I can hold my own, and honestly more than 4x a week fucks me up. 2-3x a week is often enough since I'm usually active outside of BJJ too. Some guys seem able to pull off more, I just can't. Might be your case too.

I do cardio next to my bjj 3 times a week. Sometimes i lift weights too.

I can understand you just started to discover BJJ, so tapping people is fun as it boosts your confidence but it's not all BJJ. You need to focus on guards, passing guards sweeping and getting positions. Submissions only if you maintain a position.
4-5 times a week is good not too excessive for a hobbyist who wants to train seriously, is it a 1 hour class or 1.5 hour class or a 2 hours class?

Thanks!

It's normal that you perform worse when you are not fresh. BJJ get less hard on the body once you get better.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Right now im training 4 times a week and sometimes 5. Im a beginner in my first few months of bjj. My game has improved a lot by training so much.

The thing is...if i train for example monday and then tuesday, im just worn out on tuesday and the guys who ddidnt go monday are fresh on tuesday and perform better against me than usual. Like guys i would normally tap, tap me. If i train for third time on wensday im just dead and even more worn out. Now imagine the fifth day. I have to rely on technique instead of my muscles and energy tank.

Its frustrating getting smashed when you know if you had more rest you would put up a better roll. Then again , training this much is good for technique. And im having fun.

Will it get better? Or am i just training too much?
Part of the reason you are worn out is because as a beginner you have a lot of wasted movement. As you improve you shouldn't feel as tired. Listen to what your body is telling you because overtraining leads to injuries, which lead to time off, and you don't want that.

Holy shit

When I first started reading the thread I had to double back and Make sure it wasn't the same thread I made a few years ago when I started out

Word for word it sounded exactly like what I asked .

I too train 4-5 times a week. And yes fatigue definitely sets in with that schedule. Try to take a day off in between those days . It helps a ton. Rijt now I usually skip Tuesdays , so I do:

Monday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

Having a day off helps, and I sometimes take another random day off, usually Thursdays .

Recently I took a whole week off due to injiry which is longest I've been off the mats and man, when I came back I felt better than I felt in a long time. Really got me thinking ....

https://www.instagram.com/hingerbjj/p/Btgh_NoACo4/

This is an amazingly true post that I believe answers your question.

I admire the fuck out of Josh , I mean the guy is my age yet choking the hell out of guys in their 20s, but that post is way way too simplistic. Not just got BJJ but life in general. It's quality not quantity .

If your sick, having a bad day, just got in a fight with the wife, have an injury, have to stay at work or go to your kids recital , then don't go to BJJ. For one you will be so distracted /down / stressed / whatever you won't even remember what you did an hour later .

I'm obviously no josh hinger but I am 37 years old and do know about life a bit. It's quality not quanitity. When you do something try to maximize what you get out of it rather than doing as much as you can out of it half heartidly

I think we read it from two different perspectives. I don't believe Hinger is advocating for training while injured whatsoever, just to train if you can despite other set backs.

Also I inferred from the article that it is pertaining to whatever you give priority. If you have to stay late at work or deal with spousal issues, than jiujitsu is not the priority and this articles philosophy would instead apply to work/spouse/wherever your priority lies. Then it would be about showing up for your relationship or work or whatever.

Holy shit

When I first started reading the thread I had to double back and Make sure it wasn't the same thread I made a few years ago when I started out

Word for word it sounded exactly like what I asked .

I too train 4-5 times a week. And yes fatigue definitely sets in with that schedule. Try to take a day off in between those days . It helps a ton. Rijt now I usually skip Tuesdays , so I do:

Monday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

Having a day off helps, and I sometimes take another random day off, usually Thursdays .

Recently I took a whole week off due to injiry which is longest I've been off the mats and man, when I came back I felt better than I felt in a long time. Really got me thinking ....

Much love man.

Its hard going at 50% against someone who is fresh. But then again, its all about learning. Give me 3 days rest and il be fresh and then i can go toe to toe against most of the guys who started same time as I did.

Its not about submitting. I get it. Its about fun!

I admire the fuck out of Josh , I mean the guy is my age yet choking the hell out of guys in their 20s, but that post is way way too simplistic. Not just got BJJ but life in general. It's quality not quantity .

If your sick, having a bad day, just got in a fight with the wife, have an injury, have to stay at work or go to your kids recital , then don't go to BJJ. For one you will be so distracted /down / stressed / whatever you won't even remember what you did an hour later .

I'm obviously no josh hinger but I am 37 years old and do know about life a bit. It's quality not quanitity. When you do something try to maximize what you get out of it rather than doing as much as you can out of it half heartidly

Well but Josh Hinger has a long past as wrestler since his teen years therefore he has this physical and mental toughness.
But as he says, show up even if you have a bad day or down (except when you are sick or injured) and be consistent ... of course you need to train smartly

Much love man.

Its hard going at 50% against someone who is fresh. But then again, its all about learning. Give me 3 days rest and il be fresh and then i can go toe to toe against most of the guys who started same time as I did.

Its not about submitting. I get it. Its about fun!
It's about gaining new skills and techniques, positional awareness, refining your leverage, not inflating your ego because you tap everyone

If your barometer of your performance is based solely on a +/- of taps, you need to change your mindset.

Back