Triumph United 16 oz Lace-up Death Adders

Snackattack

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've had these gloves for a while actually, and they have rapidly become my absolute favorite sparring gloves to use. I'll go on to explain why that is, and the things that I feel could be improved upon. Also I should mention I've had these gloves for a while before posting the review. If you're at all like me with new gear, It's easy to get enamored with any new piece of gear and then a couple months later you find yourself not wanting to use it or finding out all of the little things you don't want.

Also as this is my first review i'm just going to blatantly copy other people's review formats.

The Looks: It's been said before about the triumph death adders but... this glove is absolutely gorgeous. It's the black red and white grant clone from triumph. It has a gorgeous split thumb, and the gloves just look amazing. Asthetics can be a bit person to person, if you think it doesn't look great that's cool, but in terms of effort into the design you can't really argue that these aren't lazily done gloves.

GuAKi76.jpg

Compared to

ZmUWqTY.jpg

I'll definitely call it inspiration and not some sort of design theft.

Quality / Construction: Alright so this is probably the one sticking point / concern I have with these gloves. And don't get me wrong. These aren't low quality gloves. However virtually all of the issues that I have with the glove have been construction concerns. Keep in mind... None of my concerns have really manifested into something practical. Yet... But they remain as concerns

On parts of the glove the trimmed leather is frequently uneven. If you look at the above picture the piping around the laces the leather breaks pretty roughly. On both gloves there's a concern above the piping I have... I already have a LOT of rounds with these gloves, they're still my favorite sparring gloves but a little concern area I have is this...

Pf5li2a.jpg

and on the other glove

j2HfmhA.jpg

Those are definitely concerns I have, I don't know how broadly it speaks to the quality of the glove but... It's just a big concern factor for me.

Also for an example of the slightly, uneven / rough leather cuts, the cuff of the glove shows this pretty well.

dG6S6YL.jpg

The leather doesn't bother me too much, the split thumb and anything that comes near the face of my opponent is flush and there are no issues there. But here's kind of my issue, I've used these gloves a LOT, and nothing has actually become a problem yet. And when I get to function I'll kind of explain why I still strongly recommend these gloves.

Padding / protection: The padding is great, it does need to be broken in a bit for sure, just crush the padding by hand for 30 seconds at a time and it gets pretty soft. These aren't Sabas Supersofts, but even with the more pillowey gloves they can sometimes leave you wishing for a slightly firmer foam rather than one that compresses the second your opponent hits you. This glove is on the slightly firmer side of sparring gloves, but I've been hit by these and hit by these. Definitely good for sparring. Protection for the user is great. Padding is perfectly placed and REALLY not wasted. One of my favorite things about these gloves is how the hand compartment is, I won't call it 'tight' because that implies that it doesn't fit, I would say it's just VERY well defined where your hand should be. They don't waste padding. I feel comfortable blocking hard hooks and head kicks with these gloves against the back of my hand.

Performance: This is why these gloves are awesome... I don't know how they do it but it feels like black magic. These are 16 oz gloves that, when I used them they're so well balanced and tight to your hands they do REALLY feel like 12 oz thai gloves. I have a pair of 12 oz twin specials that I use and that's the closest comparison in feeling that these gloves have. The form factor on a closed fist is just so tight and compact that you feel like you're training with fight gloves. I do actually spar better with these gloves than with a lot of my other gloves. Maybe it's mental? But just the way I feel like I can move with these always feels different. I think with a lot of other 16 ounce gloves when the padding is floating further from your hand / knuckles / fingers. Also sometimes the lack of a really really firm controllable grip bar in some gloves that really pulls the ENTIRE glove into a tight fist makes these feel lighter.

I actually even weighed these to be sure they weren't like... 15 or 14 oz gloves. Weights were 16.5 and 16.85. So a little bit over on weight but they feel so much lighter. Also the pop that these gloves have, I think it does have to do with just the compact, close to your fist feeling that you get with these on makes them really kind of snap out better. That's also a feeling I don't get as much when I use the super soft pillowey sparring gloves. Again I draw the comparison to twin specials, but with a little bit more tightness / firmness to them.

Cost: This is another big thing, technically these gloves are $90 on their website, but they go on sale for $50 pretty frequently. At $90 I would say you're getting a solid quality glove for your money. At $50... It's a steal. Like... easily the best value for money you're going to get.

Also while I was pulling up some images / checking their site I saw that they do have a sale for the hook and loop version of this glove for $50, which I would have gone for the hook and loop version of this glove if it was on sale when I bought it.

http://www.triumphunited.com/equipm...oves-1/death-adder-velcro-sparring-glove.html

Not shilling for them or anything, if I was I wouldn't have pointed out all of my serious quality concerns.

Oh and note before rating: I don't love that they don't have palm vent holes. But it's a small concern.

Price: 10/10 (while on sale for $50)

Quality / construction: 7/10

Performance: 10/10

Wrist protection: 9/10

Padding (user protection): 10/10

Padding (sparring partner protection): 8/10

Looks: 10/10 (even quality issues aside you have to look really close to notice those details and the gloves are gorgeous)

Weight: 8/10 (Half an ounce up on one and .85 of an ounce higher on another, not a big deal if you ask me but it's not perfect.)

Overall rating: 9/10

It's VERY hard to not love these gloves just using them. Every other issue aside even if I had paid $90 / full price for the gloves I like using these over a LOT of other options that I have. When you have the option of using a lot of gloves and you find yourself wanting to use just this glove, that's what makes me recommend it so highly.

I'd definitely highly recommend these gloves despite quality concerns. I will come back and edit if something ever goes wrong with these gloves. And I have used them for months before I decided to post this review so... hopefully nothing does go wrong.

Thanks for the review, Snackattack.

How do they compare to some other gloves you've tried? Are they pretty responsive?

How do they compare to some other gloves you've tried? Are they pretty responsive?
this is the thing with these gloves. Performence wise the only glove that I can compare them to are much lighter thai gloves, only 16 oz glove that I compare it to would be Cletos. And personally... the glove compartment on these gloves feels snug and more well designed than a cleto glove. I sold my cletos because for me I wasn't a huge fan, and they have a great resale value because of the brand.

Responsiveness being a keyword for the performance is pretty appropriate. With every other 16 oz glove, including twins or cletos, I feel WAY more of like a physical 'lag' nothing i've used in my life has the same snappy feeling (for a 16 oz glove) obviously like some MMA gloves and 10oz / actual 12 oz fight gloves i've used are as responsive, but I think it's the combination of a slightly more dense foam and just how well designed the foam is around the hand compartment. It all comes together to make the form factor feel amazing.

I'm not sure how it will transfer to the hook and loop, however there's just no way that their current sale on those for $50 is not worth it. It's still a full leather glove. I'm considering picking up this glove in hook and loop just because at $50... It's still an all leather glove, I have a feeling that if my glove actually did tear or something maybe triumph would give me a replacement set?

Also list of gloves i've used

Winnings, Hayabusa Tonkushu (original and regenesis, which I might do a review for the regenesis which I bought like 4 months ago as well), Twin specials (12 oz, 16 oz, also my first fight was in twin 12 oz gloves), Rival RS2V's (also a great sparring glove), Ringside IMF tech sparring gloves, fairtex, windy. I really make an effort to try a ton of different gloves. I figured if i'm going to do reviews i'm going to do them for my current favorite sparring glove and favorite bag glove. Which, for sparring it's the Death Adder, for bagwork it's the hayabusa tonkushu.

There's other gloves I know I've used but those are all of the gloves that i've personally owned at one point or another. I'm definitely not the best mixed martial artist in the world or the best fighter but I'm a complete gear addict.

this is the thing with these gloves. Performence wise the only glove that I can compare them to are much lighter thai gloves, only 16 oz glove that I compare it to would be Cletos. And personally... the glove compartment on these gloves feels snug and more well designed than a cleto glove. I sold my cletos because for me I wasn't a huge fan, and they have a great resale value because of the brand.

Responsiveness being a keyword for the performance is pretty appropriate. With every other 16 oz glove, including twins or cletos, I feel WAY more of like a physical 'lag' nothing i've used in my life has the same snappy feeling (for a 16 oz glove) obviously like some MMA gloves and 10oz / actual 12 oz fight gloves i've used are as responsive, but I think it's the combination of a slightly more dense foam and just how well designed the foam is around the hand compartment. It all comes together to make the form factor feel amazing.

I'm not sure how it will transfer to the hook and loop, however there's just no way that their current sale on those for $50 is not worth it. It's still a full leather glove. I'm considering picking up this glove in hook and loop just because at $50... It's still an all leather glove, I have a feeling that if my glove actually did tear or something maybe triumph would give me a replacement set?

Also list of gloves i've used

Winnings, Hayabusa Tonkushu (original and regenesis, which I might do a review for the regenesis which I bought like 4 months ago as well), Twin specials (12 oz, 16 oz, also my first fight was in twin 12 oz gloves), Rival RS2V's (also a great sparring glove), Ringside IMF tech sparring gloves, fairtex, windy. I really make an effort to try a ton of different gloves. I figured if i'm going to do reviews i'm going to do them for my current favorite sparring glove and favorite bag glove. Which, for sparring it's the Death Adder, for bagwork it's the hayabusa tonkushu.

There's other gloves I know I've used but those are all of the gloves that i've personally owned at one point or another. I'm definitely not the best mixed martial artist in the world or the best fighter but I'm a complete gear addict.
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed reply. They sound like just the sort of gloves that I'd like. I wish you had experience with the Sabas TCs as they are probably my favorite gloves right now.

Maybe I'll snag a pair of lace-ups when they're on sale...

Also, I have tried the Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis gloves and really did not like them. The wrist support was too thick and I didn't feel like I could really punch correctly with them. I used them for about five months and ended up selling them.

Last edited:
Also, it looks like they sold out of the hook-and-loops! Probably because of your review, haha...

Also, I have tried the Hayabusa Tokushu Regenesis gloves and really did not like them. The wrist support was too thick and I didn't feel like I could really correctly with them.

Yeah that is true, they are the only glove i've used in my life where the wrist support was so strong / thick that I literally used them with a broken wrist and felt comfortable. But that's also why I love them for bagwork, I couldn't injure myself in them if I tried. And in terms of training use, I agree, the most negative thing with the hayabusa's is that they feel large and bulky, the opposite of the death adders that feel like i'm sparring with 12 oz gloves the hayabusa's feel like 18 oz gloves but are actually 15.5 oz when I weighed them (15.5 and 15.45) Which, bad for sparring, but ok for bagwork when i'm trying to work on power, handspeed etc. When you take them off and put on proper 12 ounce fight gloves, it's like you were using weighted gloves.

I'll probably do a review, but I think we probably actually agree on the tonkushu's we're just looking for different things, I actually want heavier harder to manipulate gloves for bagwork.

The color scheme is obviously inspired by Grant but does anyone know if the padding is Grant inspired as well? Kind of like how Sabas SuperSofts, Ring2Cage C-17's and UMA RT-41's replicate the feel of Winnings.

The color scheme is obviously inspired by Grant but does anyone know if the padding is Grant inspired as well?

Now that I think about it that's a distinct possibility, grant style being the two thicker layers of foam. Rather than the 3 layer or 4 layer foam. I don't actually know if there's a reasonable way for me to tell by 'feel' I've also never actually used grants to compare.

Sort of. It's very similar to the Grant's that were sold on Ringside 6-7 years ago. The padding is 1.5 inches and is semi-soft when broken in.

To revive an old thread, this is a belated plus one for the Death Adders. I've been using them a lot lately for the last three months or so and apart from being a bit tight with regard to finger space, they have been superb gloves. The quality of the stitching and the cut of the leather is a bit shoddy, but these perform surprisingly well and look to last a while.

The padding is very unique, I haven't really encountered similar padding in other gloves and I'm really curious to know what's going on underneath. If anyone has any insight, please comment. In any case, they provide an almost fight-glove type fit and feel with the protection of a training glove. I love how they feel sparring and on the bag.

I'm planning on getting another pair or two when they go on sale next. I'd pick these over R2C C17s and Sabas Supersofts/TCs, for sure.

Mini update: One thing I do notice about the TU DAs is that when I go hard on the bag, my knuckles are more liable to getting torn up than with other gloves. Probably because of the way the padding is... still fun gloves though. And no problems sparring (kind of feels like cheating sparring because they're slimmer).

Great review, honestly you've convinced me to try them out.
Now I'm wondering if the Velcro version is just as good as the lace-up?

I've always wanted to use lace-up gloves, but always went for the velcro ones because it's simply easier to put on and take-off.

I've always wanted to use lace-up gloves, but always went for the velcro ones because it's simply easier to put on and take-off.

No, the velcro is definitely not as good as the lace up for this gloves. Lace up all the way, my friend.

EDIT:typo

Last edited:

Go with lace up.

The wrist support is good enough so you don't have to tight them up. Mine are loose and I can slide my hands without undoing the laces.

Go with lace up.

The wrist support is good enough so you don't have to tight them up. Mine are loose and I can slide my hands without undoing the laces.

So I was planning on getting the lace-ups, but with shipment the total costs come around 138 dollars.
Is there another way for me to get a hold of the DA's without the huge shipment rate, it has to be shipped to The Netherlands.

And I suppose I could still purchase time, but I figured I'd ask around here first.

So I was planning on getting the lace-ups, but with shipment the total costs come around 138 dollars.
Is there another way for me to get a hold of the DA's without the huge shipment rate, it has to be shipped to The Netherlands.

And I suppose I could still purchase time, but I figured I'd ask around here first.
Buy them when they're on sale (black friday). Find a kind person in the US who might be willing to ship them to you.

Shit thats expensive. Wait for special or get the Death star gloves. They are even better IMO and 40$ at the moment.

Back