Television True Detective: Night Country- Season 4

Did Navarro kill herself or was Jodie Foster like hiding her in her house?

The fact Lopez had to lift so many elements from him is a sad look indeed. I guess she didn’t have enough faith in her own work for it to stand on its own.

None of the nods to s1 had any real significance to the plot. Travis being rust’s dad was just a nod half the folks didn’t notice. Tuttle is mentioned like twice but doesn’t really matter who owns the mine it’s more of an easter egg. Clark saying time is a flat circle doesn't matter they just kind of tagged the spiral and a little metaphysics onto the much more prominent native supernatural stuff.

I’d agree it wasn’t necessary but in no way was any of it significant or helping the plot stand.

Nic is not one to point fingers about borrowing material considering of much of rusts most famous dialogue was lifted from pretty much straight from someone else’s work.

Did Navarro kill herself or was Jodie Foster like hiding her in her house?

I took Danver’s making one thing clear during her debriefing at the end “I don’t think you’ll find her out on that ice” as confirming Navarro didn’t kill herself to the audience.

I took Danver’s making one thing clear during her debriefing at the end “I don’t think you’ll find her out on that ice” as confirming Navarro didn’t kill herself to the audience.
Because she's in the bottom of the ocean

That's the story of True Detective. Every seasons resolution sucked badly.

It is not a thought through plot development.
Yeah even the critically acclaimed first season had a dud of an ending anti climax. The TV show nikita on the CW had a more climatic ending.

I took it as she was embracing her native side and all the mysticism stuff now that she knows her Iñupiaq name and joining the native tribe Oliver Tabaq was living with, like she's out there but they won't find her.

Anyway, I felt like it trode slightly closer to the Lovecraftian line than previous seasons, they still never rationally explained some of the visions and stuff like the dancing ghost leading the woman to the researchers, but the maid posse was a horrible conclusion. I would like them to go a step further toward Delta Green/ SCP Foundation/Call of Cthulu type stuff in future seasons, have the incursions just keep growing over time

Last edited:
Every season of True Detective is a similar experience for me; a great mystery is built up and the resolution is unsatisfying.

S4 finale did not do much for me. Overall, the season was still solid.

I don't understand the criticism of the head writer, Lopez, re the tie in to S1. She pitched HBO a stand alone concept. HBO asked her to fit it into an established franchise. Based on the ratings, it was probably a good decision.

Pizzolato is being a little baby because his feelings are hurt. The dude is still the EP and is getting paid for S4. If he wants to distance himself he should have given up the EP and the money.

This season finale is uniquely bad, it shouldn't even be compared. Like you can be unsatisfied at the reveal of season one being a redneck serial killer but this season has so many plot holes and storylines that went nowhere it's insulting. The detectives dont do any detecting and stumble their way through the plot. Pointless side characters that nothing happens with. They explore a cave in the middle of nowhere and magically get transported to the science facility a few minutes later. Come on now.

You guys are doing the thing where you undersell season one to make this one not look so bad. Just stop. Season one was a fantastic season. This one wasn't.

I may be in the minority here but I have no problem with how season 1 ended. They got their killer. We still know there are “untouchables” out there that go much higher than the local bayou. Marty reconciles with his family after nearly dying over this case. Rust reconciles his own personal demons after having a near death experience. I’m fine with all that. Seems everyone just wanted Rust to stay miserable and continue being bad at parties, and outside of them.

Back