Television True Detective: Night Country- Season 4

The finale was fine. I’m glad they were able to wrap it up without use of some supernatural shit. Or what I thought they would do which was basically the scientists had reanimated some prehistoric monster than lived in the ice caves and killed them.
But this season just wasn’t that good. It was better than most stuff on tv but just didn’t have the stuff the first season had. I doubt if they could ever recreate that magic.
Season 3 was pretty good, this was just bad writing.

Good season. Finale wrapped up everything better than I thought it would. I really liked Lopez' film, Tigers Are Not Afraid, so I didn't know what to think about how she'd do with something like this, but overall I was impressed.

It wasn't perfect, and there's several things I would have changed but it was still high quality television, even if it can't compare to the first season, which I think is too high a bar to expect of anything.

Yep, this season lacked real focus, created way too many threads and fell short on the finale. 6 episodes wasnt enough and the supernatural aspect was way over done with zero explanation. Having the Indigenous cleaning squad be the cleansers of the unscrupulous researchers was a good out but just felt flat here. Basically this was condensed, true crime version horror version of LOST. Build up some massive supernatural plot line, don't explain it, abandon it, give it a random explanation at the end.

Tied with season 2 as the worst of the series.

I don't know what I was hanging onto each week watching this. Maybe knowing it was a short season.

Season 3 was pretty good, this was just bad writing.
I’ll have to watch season 3 again. I remember liking it and being disappointed with the ending.

Yeah, dialogue is a big thing for me. The dialogue has to be good, insightful, interesting. This season had its moments. But it fell short for the most part when it came to the dialogue being anything more than filler.

I kept watching my app hoping it said Next Episode.

What in the fucking fuck?

Cmon. Thats the payoff?

There's a few questionable scenes, didn't like pete's ending just nothing really happened. Also didn't like they lady taking it on herself to crawl down the tunnel. But it's pretty clear the women in town had known about her and clark and had been looking into possible connection with her death for years up to the that point and had been looking around the station for info.

But overall liked the finale. I understand it will upset a lot of folks. It's a feminist victim focused take on crime tv which is flipping something like s1 on it's head. S1 the female victim is literally just an object with which to decorate with clues like a christmas tres and that's the extent of her worth and the story moves on from her to it's bigger concerns, the cult and the egos of the men investigating it. This is not a type of story telling a lot of audiences are used to and feminist views aren't the easiest for America to stomach.

I think S4 is kind of a critique of that style and instead focuses on Navarro and to an extent Danvers going along with the other women in carrying Annie for all those years. At no point does the script just drop her and move on to paying more respect to the scientists deaths, the work they felt so self-important about, the conspiracy with the mine and big money, etc. Everything that unfolds is mostly prompted by not letting go of Annie. She remains an actual character till the end.

Last edited:
It wasn’t as bad as it could have been for sure.

I thought the twist was decent but there were lots of leaps. The ice caves bending so close to the lab especially.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back