• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Economy Trump-supporting truckers stage NYC drive boycott after $350M legal hit and New York buisness owners are worried.

That's what people upset with the judgment are saying. I'm sure they haven't read the legal opinion. And I'm sure that they don't care about the law in question here.
The party of Law & Order...Except when the law works against them.

Reminds me of a quote @Islam Imamate mentioned. I can't recall the exact words but it was something to the effect of how Conservatism is about upholding rights that priviledge them and removing rights for 'the other'.

I don't think the quote meant to malign all conservatism but likely was alluding to the nationalistic social conservatives.

You don't have to agree but here's a quote pulled directly from one of the cases explaining the law being applied:

Whenever any person shall engage in repeated fraudulent or illegal acts or otherwise demonstrate persistent fraud or illegality in the carrying on, conducting or transaction of business, the attorney general may apply, in the name of the people of the state of New York, to the supreme court of the state of New York, on notice of five days, for an order enjoining [*4]the continuance of such business activity or of any fraudulent or illegal acts, directing restitution and damages and, in an appropriate case, cancelling any certificate filed under and by virtue of the provisions of section four hundred forty of the former penal law or section one hundred thirty of the general business law, and the court may award the relief applied for or so much thereof as it may deem proper. The word "fraud" or "fraudulent" as used herein shall include any device, scheme or artifice to defraud and any deception, misrepresentation, concealment, suppression, false pretense, false promise or unconscionable contractual provisions. The term "persistent fraud" or "illegality" as used herein shall include continuance or carrying on of any fraudulent or illegal act or conduct. The term "repeated" as used herein shall include repetition of any separate and distinct fraudulent or illegal act, or conduct which affects more than one person.

People might not like this particular prosecution but she hasn't only applied this law against Trump. He's just the biggest fish and the one with the most political visibility.

You don't have to agree but here's a quote pulled directly from one of the cases explaining the law being applied:

People might not like this particular prosecution but she hasn't only applied this law against Trump. He's just the biggest fish and the one with the most political visibility.
I guess I don't think all white collar crime is the same.

I guess I don't think all white collar crime is the same.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

However, I find that people are much more accepting of white collar crime when it's conducted by the wealthy. They'll be aggressive when it's some sub-million dollar company committing white collar crime and somewhat indifferent when it's a mega-million dollar company engaged in the same type of crime.

I think there's a paraphrase out there that goes "If I rob you with a gun, I'm going to jail. If I rob you with paperwork, no one cares." It feeds into the idea that there are laws for the wealthy and laws for regular folk and a big part of that is precisely this.

But I'm not going to convince anyone to see this specific prosecution differently from how they already perceive it so I'm not going to spend more time climbing this hill, let alone dying on it.

Shortest protest ever.

'Chicago Ray' walks back trucker NYC boycott, but says 'leave Trump alone'

--

Americans really need to learn how to protest from Western Europeans; especially the French.
Yeah, I can't imagine it took very long for truckers to weigh out the cost to themselves in order to shill for a billionaire who was lying to banks.

"Hmm, pay my mortgage or argue that Trump should lie to megabanks about the million dollar multiples on his loan application?"

How long before the people who argued that the truckers were doing the right thing walk back on their position. It was one of those positions that only exists on the safety of the internet. Where the people arguing for extreme outcomes have no measurable connection to the ramifications of those outcomes.

It can have an impact if a huge number of truckers adhere to the cause. We haven't heard about it being the case. I don't believe the 30% increase in price.
Wouldn't need to be a "huge" number, but more than a few for sure. And yeah there's no way to verify this dude's claim on the premium paid either. In fact, it's actually pretty unlikely a broker would disclose that his customer paid up like that. Even with trucking companies that I have a great relationship with, I'm not telling them what my customers pay me.

Yup, that's the part that's insane to me. Truckers can do what they want but they're supporting fraudulent business practices. That's the thing that people should be surprised about.

Indicator #238,423,423 that politics have overridden moral character in our country.

The bank testified that they are not a victim. The loan terms were agreed upon, and Trump fulfilled his loan terms. The bank made money.

No victim.

This is political persecution.

The bank testified that they are not a victim. The loan terms were agreed upon, and Trump fulfilled his loan terms. The bank made money.

No victim.

There it is. As if sheep know anything about financial statements and asset valuation
Orange Man Bad god damn it, this is it!!!

is this like the freedom convoy, or is this even more loser-ass than that? because its seems more embarrassing. never underestimate these people and their ability to ritually humiliate themselves

No victim.

He avoided taxes dipshit. The state is a victim

It’s the exact opposite. This has nothing to do with Trump, its about the devolvement of the judicial system for partisan hackery. It sets a precedent where political parties in charge can use their DAs to go after political opponents.

The flock of leftist idiots screeching orange man bad don’t know anything about this case and don’t care.

Exhibit A below: TDS Zombie read the word fraudulent and the mouth breathing foam of joy laps it up
again trump is the unique victim. Now the judicial system is "weaponized" against a career con-man that has hoodwinked his simple minded followers.

If its not the media, the free press, big tech, the politicians, the process of democracy itself is against him.

A US president that actually says, democracy is against him

and his fools fall for it all.

No victim.

That defense has been thrown out twice. NY law does not require a "victim" when persistent fraud is proven as it was in this case.

LOL @ no business can be 100 percent clean. Walking the line "is part of it" even. I don't want to do business with anyone with that attitude.

Mistakes don't have any element of criminal intent by definition. That's not the same as not "100 percent clean".

And even mistakes can be used against you legally.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" legally.

You want to act like there is nothing political in this, as long as its your side doing it.

No victim.

I addressed the "no victim" element elsewhere.

You seem to think Trump should be allowed to use fraudulent business practices just cause.
My idea of being a law abiding business is not the partisan hackery here.
And its not my side

Sure all should be equal under the law.

Unless it's democrats then "they are just doing this because of politics".

You know like Hunter and his dad.

And even mistakes can be used against you legally.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" legally.

You want to act like there is nothing political in this, as long as its your side doing it.
Where the other prosecutions under this law also political?

I could understand the "political" argument if he was the only person prosecuted under this law or if his abuse of the law was minimal. But neither are true. I'm sure his being high profile didn't help but that's not the same thing as being targeted solely because he's a political figure.

I live in a major metropolitan city. Every year, local or state politicians get arrested for some sort of financial malfeasance. Sometimes it's big, sometimes it's medium. But it's not abnormal.

The theme that I keep reading, which I think should bother people, is that people don't care if the law was broken because he's a famous politician. Any time you prosecute a politician, people are going to read it as political. That's fine but it shouldn't override their understanding of if a law was broken or the extent to which it is broken.

Back