Trump's America First

Throttlehead

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
3 Trump properties posted 144 openings for seasonal jobs. Only one went to a US worker

resident Donald Trump's businesses don’t seem too concerned about “America First."

A Vox analysis of hiring records for seasonal workers at three Trump properties in New York and Florida revealed that only one out of 144 jobs went to a US worker from 2016 to the end of 2017. Foreign guest workers with H-2B visas got the rest.

The H-2B visa program allows seasonal, non-agricultural employers — like hotels and ski resorts — to hire foreign workers when they can’t find American ones. The Trump administration temporarily expanded this guest-worker program in 2017 while restricting other avenues of legal immigration, including the H-1B program for high-skilled workers.

The Trump Organization is exactly the kind of company that relies on the H-2B visa program for low-skilled workers.

Vox reviewed recruiting files submitted to the US Department of Labor for two Trump properties in Florida (including Mar-a-Lago) and one in New York from the start of 2016 through the end of 2017. In that period, hiring managers said they were able to find and hire only one qualified American worker — a cook — for 144 open positions for servers, cooks, housekeepers, and bartenders.

I believe he talked about this before during the election, maybe do some research and see what Trump actually says about it all.

I believe he talked about this before during the election, maybe do some research and see what Trump actually says about it all.

If Trumps talking, he's lying.

You're welcome.

cause listening to a con-artist 'clarify' things is soooo much better.

I don't think America first means shut down operations if you can't find Americans to do the job. If you're gearing your narrative that legal work visas are needed to fill undesirable positions, I agree.

But the article states that they did do the required prerequisites to hire home growns and that they had minimal interests -- vox also didn't really dig into what was offered to them. In lieu of no takers, they had to go the visa route.

Not sure what the ire is here.

Are you telling me you can't find an American to tend bar at a posh resort?

Ya I call bullshit

I don't think America first means shut down operations if you can't find Americans to do the job. If you're gearing your narrative that legal work visas are needed to fill undesirable positions, I agree.

But the article states that they did do the required prerequisites to hire home growns and that they had minimal interests -- vox also didn't really dig into what was offered to them. In lieu of no takers, they had to go the visa route.

Not sure what the ire is here.

The ire is that he wants to drastically cut legal avenues for these workers and balloon the costs born by the state for obtaining them and by the workers themselves. We already know that entire sectors would collapse without these workers, and he has evidence in his own backyard about their need.

...and it's not like he's advocating improving wages or working conditions to attract domestic workers.

This area, like just about all of Trump's policy positions, bears clear contradiction. He wants to exploit their labor while gaining political capital off of scapegoating them as worthless succubi.

The ire is that he wants to drastically cut legal avenues for these workers and balloon the costs born by the state for obtaining them and by the workers themselves. We already know that entire sectors would collapse without these workers, and he has evidence in his own backyard about their need.

...and it's not like he's advocating improving wages or working conditions to attract domestic workers.

This area, like just about all of Trump's policy positions, bears clear contradiction. He wants to exploit their labor while gaining political capital off of scapegoating them as worthless succubi.

Not sure what you mean but "cut avenues for these workers?" Are you referring to the HB2's specifically in question for these types of positions? His admin increased them by nearly 30%. the article states the pay is industry standard, not sure how much more servers, chambermaids, etc should be making in your opinion / what their dire working conditions are -- but its above MW that we typically associate with migrant workers.

Is the ire with high skilled migrant visa's not going up? Farm hands?

Let's not forget, orange turd shouldn't even own these businesses while in office.

Kleptocracies are definitely not the sign of a corrupt dictator.

When was limiting seasonal workers mentioned by the administration?

Murka is a business, not a country.

Let's not forget, orange turd shouldn't even own these businesses while in office.

Kleptocracies are definitely not the sign of a corrupt dictator.

Yep. You're (hopefully) in the middle of a constitutional crisis. Worst case scenario is you're at the beginning of one.

I doubt lazy Americans want to work. Trump is forced to look abroad

I doubt lazy Americans want to work. Trump is forced to look abroad

Oh baby, relax.....let that American left wing apparatus slip in....

141121095007-08-shawshank-redemption-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

I assume you are in law, correct?

Not sure what you mean but "cut avenues for these workers?" Are you referring to the HB2's specifically in question for these types of positions? His admin increased them by nearly 30%. the article states the pay is industry standard, not sure how much more servers, chambermaids, etc should be making in your opinion / what their dire working conditions are -- but its above MW that we typically associate with migrant workers.

Is the ire with high skilled migrant visa's not going up? Farm hands?

So resort industry standard is to never hire american because they cost too much? I dont believe that.

the article states the pay is industry standard, not sure how much more servers, chambermaids, etc should be making

They tried to hire chambermaids but nobody from 16th century america responded to their craigslist posting

Back