TRX: What can you tell me about this?

Can you get authentic TRX kits for that price or are they counterfeit? I'm in the market but I'm not spending over $100...

Looking at the latest "Pro" or "Force" kits with texturized rubber handles.

Those things are made in china so I get them for really cheap....about 20-30 US dollars.

I have one and use it a lot for core stuff, pikes, pushups, body rows but its all in addition to barbell work, kettlebells and my running routine.

I like it but I wouldnt want to use only the TRX.

they're very easy to make, cost about 20 bucks with stuff from Home Depot

My Gym has one. I've never used it, since it takes me all my time to Squat or Deadlift without falling over. So I'm not going to do some kind of Gymnastic shit; that's just asking for trouble.:redface:

It was developed for people who don't have access to gym equipment.

Thanks, this is helpful.

I'm a full time firefighter and my body is a bit beat up and exhausted after a shift. I'm finding my body feels even more beaten down with my usual weight workout during my days off: squats, bench, dead lift (not in same workout), standing press, etc. I feel like the path I'm on my body is going to be completely exhausted and broken down. In addition, I'm no longer motivated to move an impressive amount of weight. I guess I would rather be able to do a ton of pull ups than bench or dead lift a large amount of weight. Hence why I have drifted more into body weight exercises and yoga, and I my body feels much more recovered.

If you decreased the intensity (amount of weight used) and did light weights for higher reps of course you're going to initially feel good. You're basically taking a break. The problem is the loading, very soon you'll be doing multiple sets of high reps but how high do you want to go? The stress that causes may be the same as lifting with weights.

In a similar way to kettlebells a few years ago TXR has been marketed as the second coming of Christ in terms of physical development. But they both suffer the same drawbacks - progressive overload very quickly ends unless you want to do reps to infinity.

As you get older you can do what a lot of strength-oriented lifters do - transition to a bodybuilding style routine. For me the Westside for Skinny Bastards template is good because you can still push for heavy weights or explosive movements but most of your time is spent building (or maintaining) muscle mass.

I've said this before: put on a 100+ weight vest (I use 150 for pushups) with the straps, homemade of course, and do push ups, dips, inverted rows and chins and then tell they're for pussies.

I made a TRX for home, it's fun sometimes. Here I am using it:

164175_1784984032691_870135_n.jpg

I am currently teaching a few TRX classes per week. There are a variety of exercises that you can do with the TRX. From my perspective, the TRX can be a great conditioning tool and can be a way for someone to train if they are burnt out from barbell training or don't have the desire for the barbell. However, in no way is the TRX superior to barbell training.

My wife loves TRX and teaches a class twice a week attended by other moms and college girls. Sounds like you'd fit right in.

Thats the suspension thing right? My gym has a huge one. Never seen anyone use it apart from for chinups :p

However, I am wondering if doing sort of body weight flyes might be a good idea for me, if you know what i mean? Like an iron cross but with my feet on the floor? I dont want to do them for chest or anything, but for shoulder health. I imagine being able to do that works all the stabilizing muscles and shit that you need to be healthy?

These are used in gymnastics as a progression to the iron cross and have quite a few prerequisites. I haven't heard of them being used for shoulder health or correcting any imbalances as there are other exercises that do the job better.

As far as shoulder health goes, they could help or completely mess it up(or neither), depending on your shoulder. There's a lot of points to a healthy shoulder and a 'stabiliser' exercise isn't a cure-all. It has a lot more to do with a balanced training program. You need to know what is wrong with your shoulder first before you go do some exercise to fix it, otherwise you might be doing more harm than good.

These are used in gymnastics as a progression to the iron cross and have quite a few prerequisites. I haven't heard of them being used for shoulder health or correcting any imbalances as there are other exercises that do the job better.

As far as shoulder health goes, they could help or completely mess it up(or neither), depending on your shoulder. There's a lot of points to a healthy shoulder and a 'stabiliser' exercise isn't a cure-all. It has a lot more to do with a balanced training program. You need to know what is wrong with your shoulder first before you go do some exercise to fix it, otherwise you might be doing more harm than good.
OHPs fix my shoulder issues. Whenever I lay off them, the problems come back.

OHPs fix my shoulder issues. Whenever I lay off them, the problems come back.

Yes, but the key point here is your shoulders. Some exercises work wonders for some and do nothing or worse for others.

Back