Trying out BJJ at 30..with a twist

I have plenty of guys who only train twice a week. Go for it.

Some weeks I can go only once a week, sometimes I can go 3-4, sometimes I cant go at all. Just get started and see if it is something you really want to do. If it is, you will find yourself finding other time to train even if it is open gym. I use to do other workouts too in the beginning, but I havent really lifted in over a year now because I replace that with grappling and sometimes the MMA and boxing classes. I'm in much better shape now and I feel better and stronger than ever.

First thing is to go try it out to see if it is something you like. I forgot to mention that you can help your training on the mat by studying online techniques, dvd's, books, etc. Most of the young guys at my gym wont do these things, and that helps make the most of your training when you do get to class. By learning the mechanics of the moves in my mind it helps everything become muscle memory a little quicker.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I put out a few fillers in the area, it seems like nobody has pricing on there sites. All want me to come in for a free 30 days. I may try out one or 2

Go and train. All these people talking shit about your obligations are not also volunteering to pay your bills and keep your family fed.
Go check out my friend's gym; Baltimore Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Home
Run by Lee Synkowski, a VERY tough BJJ brown belt and Judo Brown belt.

I am 27 and work 50 hours a week, graveyard hours. Training once or twice a week sucks, but its a lot better than nothing. You will slowly progress, and people you once smoked will improve at a faster rate...but its fun as hell.

Make the best out of the hours you attend. And try not to sit out on rolls. The biggest injury I've encounter was a cracked rib.

Things happen regarding injuries...but that's life in general. You can break an ankle tripping while you walk, but you still walk miles a day.

Depends on the guy. If you're 30 and married with 4 kids and job that requires you to work 50 hours a week, you're obviously going to train less than a 30 year old who's single with no kids and a 9-5 job.

2 days a week is pretty minimal, but better than one or none. Just make the most of those weekend classes when you can get to them.

I found this funny since I am over 30 with a wife, 4 kids, and a job that requires more than 50 hrs a week. Oddly enough I train 6 days a week.

Thanks for all the replies, I put out a few fillers in the area, it seems like nobody has pricing on there sites. All want me to come in for a free 30 days. I may try out one or 2

That is common. With BJJ there are a lot of other factors to consider than just the price. They want you to come in and see what you are getting for your money. Check out as many as you can and you will find one that fits your lifestyle, personality, and checkbook. I would not do a full 30 days at all of them, but try out a couple of classes and see. Enjoy and let us know what you think.

I found this funny since I am over 30 with a wife, 4 kids, and a job that requires more than 50 hrs a week. Oddly enough I train 6 days a week.

Some get liquored up six days a week too. Big ups for picking a positive outlet in your life.

I'm almost 30 and I try to make 2 classes a week minimum. A good week for me is 3, and I try my hardest to never skip a week but sometimes my other obligations make that a fantasy.

Do what you can and have fun. Train hard when you can and you'll progress

We have a few guys at our gym who are doing it just for fun and tournaments every now and then. They are 30+ and train 2-3 times a week. Some times taking a couple weeks off. They are all pretty decent.

I say give it a try for a year, if you dont feel like you are getting anywhere and its not fun stop. Starting BJJ was one of the best decisions of my adult life.

30, married, no kids (2 dogs).

I train Jiu Jitsu for an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays, then on Saturdays I do a Jiu Jitsu conditioning class for an hour followed by an hour of Muay Thai.

I also lift and run on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

So if you want to know how much time I specifically dedicate to Jiu Jitsu in a week, it's 3 hours. But I spend about 6 or 7 additional hours in the gym. Not being fat, slow, and weak is certainly a benefit to my game.

I'm 35, full time job, and have been training bjj for 4 months. Right now I average about 2 classes (4 hours) per week. It really just depends on the weather. If there are waves, I'd rather go surfing after work. If the wind is light, I'll go fishing. If the conditions don't allow for either, I'll go to bjj class. When the time changes next month and it starts getting dark early, I'll be training 3-4 classes per week.

2x a week is perfect for you at this point. Your body will not be able to take more at first. You will probably feel out of shape, even though you workout, but dont worry about it, the cardio gets better.

As far as finding a school and price, yea they dont mention those online. Go to every school around you and try a class or two. See what the instructor is like, see what the class is like. Do all of the students introduce themselves to you or do they stare you down like they cant wait to kill you? Makes a big difference to us who are older and are doing this for fun, not to be the next world champion. Ask the instructor a lot of questions, like about price, contracts, if they let you out of contract if say you lost your job/had to move, etc. Also, ask them where they learned BJJ from, they should have a lineage and more than likely be a brown or black belt (some purple belts teach too). I am not sure what average pricing is around you, but i have trained at 3 different schools due to moving and I usually see anywhere from 80-125 for BJJ and sometimes that includes other arts as well such as boxing, muay thai, or mma. Again, though check out all the schools in your area.

btw, im 32 with a kid, house, full time job, etc. I can train 2-3 times a week sometimes more/less depending on the week. Ive been doing bjj on and off for about 3.5 years now and am really glad i got into the sport.

Where in baltimore do you live? Just curious which schools you were talking about.

I'm in the same boat - I'm 32, started a year ago. I own my own business, with only one employee. We're open 7 days a week, so my schedule can get pretty tight. It's also client-oriented, so my actual "planned" worked schedule varies greatly.

I'm also married, no kids, working on a B.A. in Literature, and next semester I'll begin teaching audio production classes at a local community college. Needless to say, I have a very full plate.

My progress has been much slower than it could be. I make it to 2-3 classes regularly, and open mats on weekends. There are, however, times where I miss a whole week or two because of work or family obligations.

The fact is, we have lives and responsibilities which prevent us from training every day and living in the gym. It is what it is. I've had times where I've been frustrated because I don't get to class enough, or I'm getting mauled by teenagers who have much more free time on their hands, and much larger gas tanks.

I have to then remind myself that I do the best I can with the circumstances I'm in, and that I chose jiu-jitsu after many other things in life were already prioritized ahead of my hobbies. The more I am aware of this, the better I feel, and the more fun I have just doing the best I can.

32, married, 3 kids. Been training almost a year, i actually asked today how many classes ive come to in the last 11 months, was told 200+ so not bad.

I play poker for a living so i pretty much make my own hours. I used to work alot more before i found BJJ. Im now happier, healthier and much slimmer.

Your bjj will get much better even if you train 2 times a week. You more than likely will never become a good competitor doing this, but you will get better and will probably be able to obtain a blackbelt even if it takes you 16 years.

Everyday you are on the mat is a chance to improve!

I am the type of guy were when I train 3 days a week it's a great trianing week for me. Go for it even at 2 days a week you can improve your bjj.

Where in baltimore do you live? Just curious which schools you were talking about.

Baltimore BJJ

Lee replied, and there is one more school I sent a email too. Looking at checking them out in the next few week.

Baltimore BJJ

Lee replied, and there is one more school I sent a email too. Looking at checking them out in the next few week.

I've heard nothing but good things about them. A couple of the guys I train with started out there and they really liked the school.

I train at Team Maryland BJJ in Towson. It's the only place I've been so I can't give any comparisons but I love it. Everyone is really friendly and there are really no ego's at the gym. If it's close enough you might want to give it a shot too. It's $150 for unlimited classes and you will learn Judo along with BJJ.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu | Mixed Martial Arts | Judo | MMA Towson, Baltimore, Maryland - Team Maryland Bjj

Started at 30, go about 5 times a week for an hour a day after work. Been doing it for about 8 months now and loving it. Only real injury I've had is a broken toe from doing backwards rolls. =/ Anyhow, an hour a day shouldn't be to much to commit especially if you're looking to get into shape. If you can do two days a week then that's great too, just don't expect to get in very good shape this way and you're prolllllly going to be tapping to everyone for quite some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back