Twins BGLL-1 Initial Impressions

DC413

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Been laying low for a while, but decided to post up some initial impression about my newest sparring gloves. My $30 Karate Joe Windy's finally bit the dust, well at least the velcro did. The first time I had to refasten the velcro mid-round, I decided to go ahead and get some new sparring gloves. I also wanted to get lace-ups, as I’ve never owned a pair and only used them during training, only in competition. The decision was between Twins BGLL-1 and the R2C C17s. I decided to go with the Twins for their pillowy soft reputation (and the fact that I kind of wanted orange gloves).

I ordered for Sok Sai (formerly Monster Muay Thai) and the gloves were around $92 shipped with the slowest delivery method. Expensive for a glove that can be had for about half that in Thailand, but alas I probably won't get there again until next summer. I chose a custom color option, and all in all i think it took about 5-6 weeks for them to be made and delivered.

Out of the Box Impressions: Holy !@#$ these things are huge! Comically so. In fact, they may be the largest gloves I've seen, including Top Kings which I thought were the comically huge champions. I initially thought that these things must be overweight for 16s, but throwing them on the kitchen scale showed that they were both about 14.75 oz. You can see a comparison pic below with my 16oz Windys and my 12oz Boons. The gloves also have some stark contrast to the BGLL1s that fmeffects reviewed here: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/twins-special-bgll-1-lace-up-16oz-review-2822497/ His came in extremely over weight, don’t look as enormous as mine, and have a more closed fist position.

The orange was also a little brighter than I was hoping, more of a neon orange than what I’ve seen from Twins in the past. Oh well, these are the downsides of ordering gloves sight unseen.

Construction: The construction quality of these gloves is top notch; I could not find a single thing wrong with them (minus the off weight).

Fit: The fit in the hand is perfect; slightly snug, not too wide, and feels like it will break in and mold to my hand nicely. The liner feels great, is tight and does not bunch anywhere. Now the wrist is another story. I’m 5’10” ~150lbs and I guess I have small wrists. I really have to wrap my wrists thickly and also crank the laces down super tight to get good support as you can see in the photo.

Padding: As Twins are known for, these gloves are huge and pillowy. They are soft out of the box, and will probably be even softer as they break in. Great for sparring partners (If I can even land a punch with the blimp sized gloves).

Performance: I’ve logged about 30-40 rounds in these gloves so far, mostly sparring but a few bag rounds to break them in. It’s a little early for a full performance review, but here are a couple first impressions.

Even with the not so ideal wrist fit, the wrist support seems to be deceptively good. It doesn’t feel great and give me much confidence when I am just wearing the gloves, but when I’m hitting the bag, my wrists feel very secure. Not sure if this is common with lace-ups, or just due to the poor fit on my small wrists. There is a small padding ridge at the base of the backhand that may be contributing to the support (you can see this ridge in the photo).

These gloves seem to be very protective when punching. Very easy to make a tight fist and open the hand for catching kicks and clinching. However, I wish the padding over the thumb was not so soft. I’ve taken a few kicks there and landed a few long hooks with my thumb and they didn’t feel good.

Summary:

Pros:
-Soft padding ideal for sparring
-Easy to open/close
-Quality construction
-Hand fit is great
-Protective when punching

Cons:
-Comically Huge
-Underweight
- Wrist fit too large for me
-Thumb padding too soft

This review turned out to be longer than I thought; it’s more of a full review. Since I’m not 100% happy with these gloves, I may end up getting some C17s during an upcoming sale. These gloves seem to be redesigned from other BGLL 1s that I’ve seen reviewed and online.

Thanks for reading, and I’d be curious to hear about other experiences with BGLL1s that anyone has.

http://1drv.ms/1GRELcF

http://1drv.ms/1GRFjzc

Hmm, sorry about your experience brother.

The only time I've tried on twins I remember two things: thinking the padding was awesome, and thinking how huge the gloves were. I think the description "comically large" is just about as perfect a summary as one could get.

I'm sure Ring to Cage will have a great sale (to make up for their insane shipping costs!!#$%) coming up I'm looking to get the lace up MiM's in 20 ounce in white : )

The pics aren't working bud. I need to see the comical size....lol. Good initial review. Sorry they didn't work out as expected.

Yeah, sorry about the pics. Until I get the hotlinking issue fixed, I've just supplied links. Hopefully those work.

I'll try to get a picture this week next to some 14oz Twins BGVL3s. That will really highlight the hugeness of these gloves.

Yeah, sorry about the pics. Until I get the hotlinking issue fixed, I've just supplied links. Hopefully those work.

I'll try to get a picture this week next to some 14oz Twins BGVL3s. That will really highlight the hugeness of these gloves.

I have these gloves in 16oz but find them to be awesome. I am a bit bigger than you ( 5'11" and 185lb) and the wrist feel snug just perfect. The wrist support is amazing and I keep them laceup and found a way to slide my hands in and out.

Believe me they are like a fine wine...they get better with time lol

You are right about the orange. Could be the pics but they don't look the same as the other orange Twins that I have seen.

Those are mine.

IMG_20150509_083016_zpstgkcsbka.jpg

The links work. Those look like creamsicles....lol. They look nothing like fmeffects pair in the link you posted.

yeah, mine look more like KickassSeabass's, although mine seem larger. FMeffect's pair has more of a closed fist and a less bulbous look. His were also massively overwieght and mine are slightly under (1.25oz).

Consistency does not seem to be a strong point of the Thai manufacturers.

yeah, mine look more like KickassSeabass's, although mine seem larger. FMeffect's pair has more of a closed fist and a less bulbous look. His were also massively overwieght and mine are slightly under (1.25oz).

Consistency does not seem to be a strong point of the Thai manufacturers.

Our model is a bit different then the one FMeffect has. The wrist support seems to be better on ours. Like I said, give it time.

I had a pair of twins special lace ups in 16oz and they were very compact and tight fitting. Underweight, around 15 ounces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stor
Back