Movies Twisters - (Coming July 19th, 2024) - Trailer Post #45

To be honest I never thought much of the original.
Yeah, judging it straight up, it's a long way from being an all time classic. It's kind of corny. But it's an enjoyable movie for what it is, and looking back at it now, I find myself loving it more as time goes on. Maybe as a time capsule of better days.

It's likely a 6/10 movie if we're judging it straight up. But it has been about 5-7 years since I last watched it. Need to give it another go and see how I feel now.

I saw Twister in the theater when it came out. Always liked that movie. Long way Down is great Goo Goo Dolls song too.
I didn't remember that song at all. Had to look it up....
<mma4>

Was it the credits song?

Looks rough.

If the wife wants to see it I might cut a hole in the bottom of the popcorn bucket so I get something out of it.

Upon further rewatch of the trailer, I find myself slightly warming up to it. Not sure if it's just me itching to rewatch the original or what. But if the reviews are good I may venture out to the theater and catch this in XD.
<mma4>

To reply to myself, there were 3 Dodge Rams in the trailer. Hell yeah. I thought it looked great personally. I'm all in on Glen Powell being Tom Cruise-lite, the guy who's just having a good time and radiating charisma the entire movie.

I think it looks like a damn fun time in the theater, ole Pete loves him a 90's throwback disaster flick, no doubt about it

Glen Powell was good in that airplane war movie with my homie Jonathan Majors and I hear good things about Anyone But You, I think this could be a big budget summertime winner!

I'm betting we'll get a Hunt cameo. It's gonna happen.
I still think they'll try and slip one in, but according to Glen Powell, it's not gonna happen.

New ‘Twister’ FiIm Is Winding Its Way To You, And It’s Not A Sequel Nor Reboot, Says GIen PoweII

Glen Powell has revealed in an interview with Vogue that a new Twister film is coming. It’s not a sequel and not a reboot of the 1996 film starring Helen Hunt and the late Bill Paxton.

1996’s Twister earned more than $494 million at the global box office.

“We’re not trying to recreate the story from the first one,” Powell said. “It’s a completely original story. There are no characters from the original movie back, so it’s not really a continuation. It’s just its own standalone story in the modern day.”

Filming wrapped “a couple of nights ago,” he added. “I don’t think anyone has brought up this movie in forever, but talking to people, they’re like, ‘That was one of my favorite movies growing up. That movie terrified me,’ ” he said.

Powell said the general theme of the new Twister film will appeal to audiences.

“When I was working on Top Gun, [Tom] Cruise brought up a really interesting thing, where he’s like, ‘If you want to make movies of a certain size and scope and scale, you have to figure out what can connect with everyone around the world in every territory,’ “ Powell said.

“And humans-versus-weather is a very universal idea, how powerless we really are in the face of these cataclysmic forces.”

The follow-up to the 1996 Twister film is reportedly titled Twisters. Mark L. Smith, who wrote 2015’s The Revenant, is writing the screenplay, with Jurassic World Dominion‘s Frank Marshall producing. Lee Isaac Chung, who made 2020’s Minari, is directing Twisters, with Daisy Edgar-Jones, Anthony Ramos, Maura Tierney, Sasha Lane, Kiernan Shipka, and David Corenswet in the cast.

I still think they'll try and slip one in, but according to Glen Powell, it's not gonna happen.

New ‘Twister’ FiIm Is Winding Its Way To You, And It’s Not A Sequel Nor Reboot, Says GIen PoweII

Glen Powell has revealed in an interview with Vogue that a new Twister film is coming. It’s not a sequel and not a reboot of the 1996 film starring Helen Hunt and the late Bill Paxton.

1996’s Twister earned more than $494 million at the global box office.

“We’re not trying to recreate the story from the first one,” Powell said. “It’s a completely original story. There are no characters from the original movie back, so it’s not really a continuation. It’s just its own standalone story in the modern day.”

Filming wrapped “a couple of nights ago,” he added. “I don’t think anyone has brought up this movie in forever, but talking to people, they’re like, ‘That was one of my favorite movies growing up. That movie terrified me,’ ” he said.

Powell said the general theme of the new Twister film will appeal to audiences.

“When I was working on Top Gun, [Tom] Cruise brought up a really interesting thing, where he’s like, ‘If you want to make movies of a certain size and scope and scale, you have to figure out what can connect with everyone around the world in every territory,’ “ Powell said.

“And humans-versus-weather is a very universal idea, how powerless we really are in the face of these cataclysmic forces.”

The follow-up to the 1996 Twister film is reportedly titled Twisters. Mark L. Smith, who wrote 2015’s The Revenant, is writing the screenplay, with Jurassic World Dominion‘s Frank Marshall producing. Lee Isaac Chung, who made 2020’s Minari, is directing Twisters, with Daisy Edgar-Jones, Anthony Ramos, Maura Tierney, Sasha Lane, Kiernan Shipka, and David Corenswet in the cast.
So right away the writer of the article confirms it is not a sequel, continuation, etc. then in the last paragraph he calls it a follow up to Twister

So right away the writer of the article confirms it is not a sequel, continuation, etc. then in the last paragraph he calls it a follow up to Twister
Good catch. Though I think it's all semantics. It's very clearly a sequel, but I think they're trying to say it's not a close/direct followup like T2 is to T1 or Godfather 2 is to 1. I hate to use this reference, but it's probably more like how Captain America 3 isn't a sequel to Ironman, but it also kind of is.

I feel like one of the characters is going to be revealed to be the child of Hunt/Paxton.

To reply to myself, there were 3 Dodge Rams in the trailer. Hell yeah. I thought it looked great personally. I'm all in on Glen Powell being Tom Cruise-lite, the guy who's just having a good time and radiating charisma the entire movie.

Don't forget about Jo's J-10 either

06cfed1639808605a2d6ace5cc58942ca72a3821.gifv

Beautiful

The more I think about this movie the more excited I get for it. Hey, if it's shit, it's shit. But I'll give it a chance. Maybe that's the nostalgia for the original talking, but I'm ready to go.

I realized I had the laserdisc of Twister among my vinyls and I set it out to display. (I've never owned a laserdisc player but I grabbed it because the cover is awesome).
s-l1200.webp

item004803_1631505347.jpg

The more I think about this movie the more excited I get for it. Hey, if it's shit, it's shit. But I'll give it a chance. Maybe that's the nostalgia for the original talking, but I'm ready to go.

I realized I had the laserdisc of Twister among my vinyls and I set it out to display. (I've never owned a laserdisc player but I grabbed it because the cover is awesome).
s-l1200.webp

item004803_1631505347.jpg
Fun fact. Respect the Wind is Alex Van Halen's only solo credit of his entire career and only the second solo credit for Eddie Van Halen

Eddie has several "guest appearances" like on Beat It but this score is only his second solo credit after he did the score for a teen movie in the 80's called The Wild Life. I have no idea why these two projects partially caught his eye. Very random.

Fun fact. Respect the Wind is Alex Van Halen's only solo credit of his entire career and only the second solo credit for Eddie Van Halen

Eddie has several "guest appearances" like on Beat It but this score is only his second solo credit after he did the score for a teen movie in the 80's called The Wild Life. I have no idea why these two projects partially caught his eye. Very random.

It's been probably 8-10 years since I last watched Twister. I don't remember such a badass guitar riff in the movie or as part of the score. I'm pleasantly surprised if it was. This one actually sounds both badass and kind of haunting.
<mma4>

Back