Uchikomi - Rubber band - Any Judokas out there?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Any Judokas out there?

I am just wondering if people actually complete their throw without a partner with those rubber bands, even though I guess you are 'supposed to' practice uchikomi. Fedor for example, in the video below, was seen completing his throws with those bands. at 2:05 minute mark

[yt]

Complete the throw. Not all uchikomi are the same. With a rubber band you aren't getting the feeling needed to refine technique specific for gi grappling, so you might as well work on power.

Light bands for speed all the way through the throw, heavy for building strength.

Fine tune your technique in the Dojo.

This is a good example of breaking down Seoi Nage, you can use as a formula to de construct a ton of technique.

I was taught to just use them for footwork and, in a way muscle memory.

Light bands for speed all the way through the throw, heavy for building strength.

Fine tune your technique in the Dojo.

This is a good example of breaking down Seoi Nage, you can use as a formula to de construct a ton of technique.

yeah but that is uchikomi, that ain't a throw
Fedor in that video is throwing.

I was taught to just use them for footwork and, in a way muscle memory.

I guess argument against it usually is that it's like kinda doing it half way though, you aren't really competing your throws, it's like going into throw someone then stepping out, but i think it depends on who you ask, and what dojo or gym you go to, and what they think about it,

Complete the throw. Not all uchikomi are the same. With a rubber band you aren't getting the feeling needed to refine technique specific for gi grappling, so you might as well work on power.

I guess on the flip side of it is, I don't think most people do it for the throw, and I guess I don't know if it's something that a lot of people do at a high level, since i guess counter argument is that you aren't really completing your throws, and almost practicing going in for the throw but aren't actually practicing throw itself, but on the other hand, I don't really know if there are lot of people who actually go through all the way and practice the throw itself, and I wonder if there's a reason behind it, because if it was a good idea to begin with, I'd imagine people would have stuck with it to begin with and not have to speculate whether it would be a better idea to complete the throw itself

yeah but that is uchikomi, that ain't a throw
Fedor in that video is throwing.
Like I said use a clip like that as your blue print of how to break down that or any technique and then build it up to whatever you want the full exercise to be....Maybe just you're looking at it from a newbie perspective and can't figure out all the components that make a good exercise yet.
Once you do the throws 10,000 times and have them critiqued by your coach till you understand it inside and out you'll be able to look at that Adams clip and figure out the full throw on your own...Like I saw Neil's footwork pattern, ran out of time in my morning training but want to just train that for a few weeks. Take pieces from anything you watch or see training and make little training exercise's....Just how my brain was taught to improve....
Don't know what to say man....can lead a horse to water and all that shit.....

Like I said use a clip like that as your blue print of how to break down that or any technique and then build it up to whatever you want the full exercise to be....Maybe just you're looking at it from a newbie perspective and can't figure out all the components that make a good exercise yet.
Once you do the throws 10,000 times and have them critiqued by your coach till you understand it inside and out you'll be able to look at that Adams clip and figure out the full throw on your own...Like I saw Neil's footwork pattern, ran out of time in my morning training but want to just train that for a few weeks. Take pieces from anything you watch or see training and make little training exercise's....Just how my brain was taught to improve....
Don't know what to say man....can lead a horse to water and all that shit.....

Uchikomi isn't supposed to be a full throw dude, that's why i was asking

Uchikomi must always be practiced with full throw in mind. Even if you stop half way you should feel (and think!) that you can complete the throw every time.
With rubber band you do whatever feels natural.

Uchikomi isn't supposed to be a full throw dude, that's why i was asking

Your question was already answered.

Without getting too much into it -

Uchikomi is just repetitive practice. What do you want to practice? You can practice various phases (left arm pull, right, foot speed, entry type etc etc). Remember, a throw has three phases (balance break, fit in, actual throw) - if you know what you're doing, you can figure out drills for each phase.

Obviously, you should know WTF you're doing before repping things out. It's not hard to do a few hundred reps in 10 minutes, so get it right :)

Having said that, there are many, many ways to do uchikomi. For example, the following clip shows part throws, full throws, some footwork drills as well as "power isometrics". These are good ways to practice

Without getting too much into it -

Uchikomi is just repetitive practice. What do you want to practice? You can practice various phases (left arm pull, right, foot speed, entry type etc etc). Remember, a throw has three phases (balance break, fit in, actual throw) - if you know what you're doing, you can figure out drills for each phase.

Obviously, you should know WTF you're doing before repping things out. It's not hard to do a few hundred reps in 10 minutes, so get it right :)

Having said that, there are many, many ways to do uchikomi. For example, the following clip shows part throws, full throws, some footwork drills as well as "power isometrics". These are good ways to practice

that guy never does full throws

that guy never does full throws

Yes he does. Lots of osotos, seois etc.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, exactly. If you want to do nagekomi, you'll need a throwing dummy.

Yes he does. Lots of osotos, seois etc.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, exactly. If you want to do nagekomi, you'll need a throwing dummy.

UnacceptableDistantAsiantrumpetfish-small.gif

except he ain't completing Seoi nages and all, and who on this earth uses rubber band for osotos,

He just goes into his throws pulling and taking a step turning and maybe bendingn down but i dont see how hes actually doing a full throw

Back