UFC’s inability to re-sign top fighters have lead to it’s viewership decline

I stopped watching because it got frustrating to be a fan. Guys would win the title, take a year off, hold up the division, and then we'd have these silly fucking interim titles all over the place. Champs not willing to fight contenders for x or y reason was also a nightmare and the thrill was lost. I don't have an issue with the UFC releasing any fighters because the UFC is a business. They know their books and how much fighters cost versus how much they bring in.

Of all the fighters TS posted the only one who really should have remained in the UFC was Mousasi. Problem with Mousasi is that he's so "hit and miss." Sometimes he looks like a young Mike Tyson and is unstoppable, and others he shows up looking like he's ready for a nap before the fight even starts.

What do you think?

It is hard to know what to think without being given the actual numbers.

And those numbers should not only be about how much each PPV is bringing in compared with before, but also how many PPVs there are now compared to before. If there are more PPV events than before, it doesn't matter if each individual PPV averages a bit less.

I don't know the details of the ESPN deal, but my impression is that the UFC has less risk than before, because ESPN has put guarantees in place. If so, operating at less risk is worth something too.

Building up big stars can be rewarding, but it also involves more risk if something happens to that fighter that keeps them from fighting.

Lorenz larkin was a questionable release or he chose not to re sign due to their offer

Hypothetical business strategy:

Antitrust issues are very serious. Here is a recent situation (antitrust probe of Google): https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/doj-preparing-antitrust-probe-of-google---dow-jones.html

The UFC gains SOME protection by not poaching Bellator talent, and by not retaining talent that is realistically bound for Bellator. It does bolster a future claim that they aren't a monopoly. This is my theory.

Just my thought, based on facts.

Great post.

Thanks man.

UFC PPVs and ratings are at an all time low. They sure could use top fighters like Mousasi, Bader, Rory, Davis, and Machida filling up some of these watered down cards they’ve been dishing out.

Not being able to poach Bellator’s top fighters doesn’t help. The Reebok deal doesn’t help. Top fighters getting less of a PPV cut because PPVs are only available through ESPN+ doesn’t help.

“The Ultimate proving ground” isn’t where the best fight the best anymore. What do you think?
Is it really "watered down" cards or is it a lack of aging fighters that are well known names but not necessarily the "best of the best" anymore?

Unfortunately the fighters we grew up cheering for in there primes are aging out and being replaced by the next generation of future big names.

If we just write off every card as "watered down" and full of nobodies not worth watching new stars will never be created.

Nope. The reason is the stupid deals with fightpass and espn+. We are not ready for that bullshit. I was already paying for cable to watch the “free” cards which were not free and buying ppv. I refused to buy fight pass and for sure refuse to watch any ufc online. I hope ufc folds!!! Fuck espn and dazn !!!
Stream that shit dawg

lol at anyone thinking machida isnt ufc level. moussasi is seen as some demi god here.

UFC PPVs and ratings are at an all time low. They sure could use top fighters like Mousasi, Bader, Rory, Davis, and Machida filling up some of these watered down cards they’ve been dishing out.

Not being able to poach Bellator’s top fighters doesn’t help. The Reebok deal doesn’t help. Top fighters getting less of a PPV cut because PPVs are only available through ESPN+ doesn’t help.

“The Ultimate proving ground” isn’t where the best fight the best anymore. What do you think?
Shouldve given bader benefit of doubt as even back then 205 division was regressing .UFC were just convinced he had a ceiling ( and maybe he did but he had become a name and was evolving a bit).The whole mousasi thing was the biggest brain fart in UFC history...... and from what I understand was, of course, asking for more money BUT WAS BEING RATHER REASONABLE. Only fighter in prime to leave mmas top promotion on a 5 fight stoppage streak.

Phil Davis was actively discouraging people from watching future UFC cards.

Yeah fucking Mousasi, Bader, Rory, Davis, and Machida are what brings the ratings.

Yeah.. Thats why Bellators ratings are going through the roof.
I do think UFC cuts people for the wrong reasons and also cuts the wrong fighters at time.
But thinking UFC is losing viewers because they did not re-sign these guys... LOL

The ufc doesn’t give a shit about ppv buy decline, that is ESPNs issue now.

I am sure Dana will throw ESPN under the bus eventually.

1) Mousasi only known to serious UFC fans
2) Bader talented but was never taking out top guys and was often boring.
3) Davis basically cut because people were choosing to watch reruns of daily news instead of his bouts.
4) Rory - Lawler took his soul
5) Machida is fighting past his due date.

All respect to those fighters but UFC roster can’t hold them all. There always will be other fight orgs and that’s ok. Adesanya, Walker, Megomashapirov there’s lots to be excited about. The quick cash grab philosophy used for McGregor and Rousey types gave us instant gratification but the thing is then the great other fights seem ordinary. But I do agree get rid of Reebok lol.

Nope. The reason is the stupid deals with fightpass and espn+. We are not ready for that bullshit. I was already paying for cable to watch the “free” cards which were not free and buying ppv. I refused to buy fight pass and for sure refuse to watch any ufc online. I hope ufc folds!!! Fuck espn and dazn !!!
Have you canceled your cable subscription now that the FOX deal is over?

mousassi is not a draw
This draw shit is funny. Mousasi main or co mained every fight in UFC ( outside UFC 200 where he made minute s work of Jones next opponent).
Mousasi would bring in rather huge inJapan, Netherlands and America.
Hey - it happens, UFC made enormous mistake and BMMA can " arguably " claim they own best 185er in world and is in prime .
SMH.

It's not 2014 anymore. 5 years is a lot of time, especially when you're over 40. 33 year old Mousasi can beat top 5 guys at MW. So could 33 year old Machida. 41 year old Machida will lose to some of the worst guys in the division.
My point is, Moose is not half the striker his diehards would have you believe, and his weakness are varied and well known.

the fad is just coming to an end Moose, Bader, Rory, Davis, and Machida while they are good fighters aren't draws well Lyoto might be but he's on a decline. The views was already going to shit besides when Conor fights which is barely and them taking this ESPN+ deal has turned the viewship into the fight pass lvl bs. It's hard to get views when ppl can't watch your events and your biggest star rather sell whiskey then fight.

I'm almost certain that Bader would've destroyed the washed up Gus we earlier today

IMO he could avenge many loss right now:

UFC
Unmotivated Gus
Grandpa Teixeira

Bellator
Old and no roided Machida
Way older Tito

Rumble is retired and Jones is pulsing so I wouldn't count them

Back